Right Drive Cars

Parrot428

Good question! There are several stories about RH or LH drive vehicles. Some say British influence caused early cars to be RH drive. Others say that RH drive was the same as driving horses pulling wagons and was familiar to potential customers. Others still say that watching the ditch was more important than oncoming traffic.

I am no Ford expert, but I understand that Fords were about the only LH drive cars made in the US prior to 1914. Maybe it was the popularity of the Ford that caused others to change to LH drive?

Try this - right hand drive was picked up from the horse and buggy days. Most drivers, then as now, are right handed. That's the hand they used to carry the whip for the horses. Now imagine that you are driving a buggy, it is obviously better to have the whip outside the vehicle rather than inside, especially if you may have passengers in the back.

Many of the tiller cars could easily be considered as left or right. The Model T was "always" LH, except for export cars some of which were RH. Most cars that were originally RH finally switched about 1914, for example the Hudson, but Stutz held out until around 1922.

I have found no evidence that the original use of RH was ever the influence of the British choice of RH since they drove on the left side of the road.

One of the most frequent question I get when I drive my 1911 Hudson is, "Was Hudson a British car with the RH steering?" Amazing that they do no know that the Hudson was very American!

RH drive was more or less standard on early cars. As standard as anything was.

Did you know some elecric cars with tiller steering could be driven not only from the left or right side but from the front or rear seat?

In those days roads were bad, dirt or gravel except in big cities. It was more important to keep an eye on the side of the road when passing another vehicle, than on the middle.Especially when passing a fully loaded hay wagon on a narrow road with a deep ditch at the side.

There wasn't much traffic so you might only pass a dozen vehicles in a day's drive. Less than that in the west.

Some luxury cars like Pierce Arrow did not change over until 1921 or 22. But the change over began around 1910.

Obviously people were not greatly worried by traffic density back then. In today's traffic, driving an antique car with the steering on the wrong side for the road system is pretty much a nightmare, unless the car is so bereft of performance that everyone is overtaking you. When I put the 1918 Mercer back on the road first in 1969, I needed a front seat passenger who could communicate judgement of whether and when to overtake. Mercers do not like parades. After I had the engine rebuilt I converted it to Right hand drive, and that was much better. I could easily change it back if ever I need to. I had to replace the exhaust manifold with a nice set of extracters, so the exhaust could go outside the chassis frame. And I had to blank off the generator drive hole and mount the steering box where the generator used to be. So I mounted an alternator up front, driven in parallel with the fan. Then we made up dipping Quartz Halogen bulbs for the headlights as probably countless others have done since, and Mercer was great for night driving too. If you are interested to see what my extrators are like, look at the photo gallery picture of Buster Keaton's Raceabout in the Mercer section at the bottom. You might think we had copied each other.

All the best, Ivan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know when cars in America changed from a right side drive to the present left hand drive and why? My understanding is that the first autos were either center drive or right side drive. </div></div>

Try this link for a very informative page on this subject.

http://www.brianlucas.ca/roadside/#changing

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Parrot:

As Mark noted, Buick went to LHD for 1914. Up to that point they were RHD. Ford was the largest car maker in the world by 1910, and Model T's were always LHD. Buick had been the world's largest car maker from around 1906 thru 1909. They were still the world's #2 in 1913. When they switched for 1914, you were now in a situation where the world's largest and the world's second largest car makers (both American makes) are both LHD, and the decision is made. Ford and Buick have just outvoted everyone else.

RHD Scouts were still being built when IH quit making them in 1982. They still build RHD trucks for special uses and export.

Regards, Dave Corbin