American LaFrance Speedsters

Tom Laferriere

Hi all,

I just wanted to post a small note that if your are a fan of dual

chain drive cars, then please join my new Yahoo group, American

Lafrance Speedsters. There are several pictures and polls. Only fun

allowed.

I have purchased a American Lafrance Speedster project and I am

looking to connect with folks who have similar interest.

Please join if interested.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/AmericanLafranceSpeedsters/

Tom Laferriere

Tom,

I have been following the discussion about speedsters. I am a life long, dyed in the wool fire apparatus restorer. I love the old ALF rigs and have restored a lot of them. I grew up in this hobby with the un-offical historian of American LaFrance who hated speedsters and anyone associated with them. While I agree it is bad to cut up a good fire apparatus to create something that never was, I do like the the mechanics and looks of a well done speedster. I guess I have to say that because I now own the first speedster ever built by our friend in Colorado. We have to make sure people know what they are and the history behind them. To answer some points in the discussion, The bore and stroke of type 10, 12 and 75 motors is 5 1/2 x 6 inches. The type 38 is 4 1/2 x 6 inches. The problem with explosions in the crank case can be greatly reduced if you make sure the original brass oil strainer is installed in the oil filler. It acts as a flame shield when the carb back fires at the filler neck.

Ken Soderbeck

Hand in Hand Restoration

• 3 years later...

The neatest one I ever saw was "Mr.Toad" with a toy tonneau body. It was from Australia or New Zealand on a Gas & Brass tour back in the early 1980's. Don't tale offince Tom, but the thing all AFL speedsters need are speedster proportioned wheels & tires IMO. Not that I'd turn down seat time in that monster. I do remember visiting an ALF speedster builder in Pennsylvania years ago that cast his own aluminum wheels. They looked like wood spokes when finished, but the stack of amuminum Corvair engines they were cast from always made me wonder.

• 1 month later...
Guest stude8

I had a fun day driving this job in Rothrock state park in PA about 15 years ago. You get excited with the enormous torque at disposal, you wear your ball cap backward to keep the chain oil from running down your neck. You should wear a face mask, a stone off the front wheels in the forehead is like getting shot with a 22 caliber round.

You can see they get hot after pulling the steep hills in high gear to listen to the big bore engine working at 400 RPM.

Stude8

post-31139-143138049263_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138049266_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello Tom! Our Alf Speedster has been invited to Amelia Island. Putting the finishing touches on it this week then off to Amelia Thursday. More pics when we return.</div></div> That must feel good. Congrats!

• 2 years later...
Guest 1925franklin

Hello Tom,

I think I'm getting the "hang" of following your forum now...

I notice alot of the talk is of the feeling of driving these "beasts"... I know the engines are huge and they are alot of vehical to keep under control, but I live out in the rural parts of Western Pennsylvania, and when we are out for a drive, I find it relaxing and pleasent to be on a lonely country lane with the trees reaching over the road way, and the fields opening up on both sides of the road. Often we will take our Speedster on a 40 to 45 min. drive to a quiet lake for a picnic lunch. So, I have never referred to ours as a "beast". Although, many times when other people see it or go out for a ride with me, THEY will say something along the lines of "What a beast this car is" !

We were invited to the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix again this year, but were unable to atten due to another event on our calendar already in place. They say we will be invited again next year. I'm looking forward to it.

Once I figure out how to attach an image, I'll include one of our "Beast" LOL

William Woodcock

The neatest one I ever saw was "Mr.Toad" with a toy tonneau body. It was from Australia or New Zealand on a Gas & Brass tour back in the early 1980's. Don't tale offince Tom, but the thing all AFL speedsters need are speedster proportioned wheels & tires IMO. Not that I'd turn down seat time in that monster. I do remember visiting an ALF speedster builder in Pennsylvania years ago that cast his own aluminum wheels. They looked like wood spokes when finished, but the stack of amuminum Corvair engines they were cast from always made me wonder.

Mr Toad still lives in New Zealand. It is a 1910 four cylinder model and was built up by an ex-patriat American who died in 2007. I first saw the car in 1980 at the International Vintage Car Rally in Rotorua, New Zealand when it was just a very basic speedster. It subsequently acquired a four seat touring body. It was supposedly a genuine car rather than a converted fire engine but I always had my doubts.

Guest Al Brass
Mr Toad still lives in New Zealand. It is a 1910 four cylinder model and was built up by an ex-patriat American who died in 2007. I first saw the car in 1980 at the International Vintage Car Rally in Rotorua, New Zealand when it was just a very basic speedster. It subsequently acquired a four seat touring body. It was supposedly a genuine car rather than a converted fire engine but I always had my doubts.

The speedster body and touring body quickly interchanged so that the owner had the choice of what configuration he motored in. His name was Bayard Sheldin and I think his son may now have the car.

Regards

Al

The speedster body and touring body quickly interchanged so that the owner had the choice of what configuration he motored in. His name was Bayard Sheldin and I think his son may now have the car.

Regards

Al

The owner was C Bayard Sheldon (actually Clement Bayard - named for the car he told me once). He first came to NZ for the 1972 International Rally I think and brought his early Maxwell. He enjoyed it so much he decided to emigrate. He lived in Whitianga I think. I believe the LaFrance is now owned by Reece Burnett, a Waikato VCC member. I haven't been able to find a picture of it on the net. It is certainly one of the better looking LaFrances, mainly because it is on car wheels (37x5 maybe?) rather than truck ones.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

Guest Al Brass

Hi ?,

Thanks for putting me right on the name. I thought it was Bayard Sheldon but was convinced by somebody else it was the other way around. Should have stuck with my first instincts !!

I did some work on it one time he was in the South Island and took some photos but I can't find them on my 'puter. I'm wondering if it was before digital and that may be why. The last time I had a chat with him was at the Vero in Invercargill, he was camped near us.

Regards

Alasdair

• 7 months later...
Guest dgilmartin

Great discussion thread. I think that the ALF speedsters are fascinating. I owned a Type 75 triple combination many years ago, but I know little about when and where conversions were made. I know that ALF made at least 7 automobiles at the factory, but as many of the Type 75 were in fire department service until the 1950s, I'm not sure where the trucks came from for conversion to speedsters or when. I'm guessing from the photos that I have seen elsewhere that there were a lot more made outside of the US than inside.

Did they compete on tracks or were they just used for touring?

• 4 weeks later...

I have had a really good look at the 1910 Speedster in the above photos. After a couple of hours looking all over it and under it and I have to say that in my mind their is zero question that it IS a converted fire truck.

Regards

Gavin

Note that the 'genuine' cars have shaft drive.

Yes they needed to do that as the transaxle for the chain drive is very long. To get a short sporting wheelbase with chain drive you have problems with bearings as their is not enough distance from the nose of the trans to the clutch to get in good flexable joints. As some people with American LaFrance Speedsters have found to their cost. I have had to shorten the shafts both at the chutch end and transmission end to get enought length to run the double geared joints that the rigs had.

Some have tried to get away with only one geared joint, but that does not takeup all the movement of the drive line and chassis and leads to pressure on bearings and bearing failure.

As far as my information goes all 22 American LaFrance cars were shaft drive and all used the four cylinder engine. They were built as Sporting cars and not fire chiefs cars as such.

Regards

Gavin

NZ

Gavin I looked your flickr pics. I think the Tipo 2 Fiat you might be the parts that I owned about 20 or more years ago.

Interesting! I bought the remians from Terry Wilson after he restored a 1912 Tipo 2. I think my car was also owned by Dale Conlon at one point as well.

Please contact me direct at gavinnz@xtra.co.nz as I would love to hear what you know about the Tipo 2.

Kind regards

Gavin

Just wanted to say "thanks Tom" for posting this topic, which gave birth to the Yahoo American LaFrance Speedster group, which I joined and ended up buying my Speedster project from a contact made on that list!

Regards

Gavin

1915 Type 12, dripper 6, Speedster project.

• 2 months later...
Guest RKimC

My 1921 ALF Type 75 as is becoming a speedster.

I had the chassis sandblasted and powder coated. I restored the brakes and trans-axle. I shortened the rear frame, moved the trans-axle one frame member, and removed every other spring to lower it. I am building it as a homage to Old 16, the Locomobile that won the Vanderbilt Cup in 1908. (Except on steroids!)

Next is the "body" where I can mount the bucket seats, the copper gas tank, the trunk, and the rear spare.

Finally I will return the straight-6 under the hood and then GO.

Life is good here in little Rock.

Kim

Guest Killerbunny
Hi,

I am attaching the link for nice speedster built in Britain.

http://www.old-timers.cz/index.php?optio...=45〈=en

Josef

This is not on English....<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/16/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/16/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/16/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/16/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>;)