Exhaust Manifold Paint

ex98thdrill

OK guys, I've got a question. We have a problem with Bill Hirsch high temperature paint flaking off of the exhaust manifolds.

Is anyone else having the same problem?

Is anyone using something different and having better results?

- The exhaust manifolds were beadblasted down to the bare metal, they were repainted, and in less than 100 miles, the paint is flaking off. With another project in the making as we speak, I was wondering what you guys were doing, so I can accept your advice, and buy something different while I'm at Hershey.

Guest De Soto Frank

I used VHT silver-gray exhaust manifold paint on the exhaust manifold of my '72 Chevy pick-up (250 cid six) about 5 years ago.

I cleaned-down the old manifold (rusty, but not heavily pitted) with he wire-wheel on my 4.5" angle-grinder, rinsed it off with 2+2, brakekleen, or similar solvent, sprayed it according to the directions on the rattle-can, then "baked" it in the gas grille (label states that heat is required for sucessful cure).

The intake section was painted with VHT high-temp orange.

I was just under the hood of that truck over the weekend, and noted that the exhaust section is just starting to rust around the outer corners...most of it is still a decent satin gray. The orange is still nice'n'glossy once I wiped the dirt off...

I don't think that exhaust gets as hot as some high-perf stuff, but I do have a 195 deg thermostat in it, and the truck has gone about 25,000 miles, mostly hard, high-speed trips since I did the manifolds...

For what that's worth...

I have used the Eastwood Stainless Steel product for the "As cast" look and it has held up under driving conditions for years. No high tech application, just power wire wheel (6" knotted wire cup on a Milwaukee 2HP grinder) than a dash of metal prep (Ditzler or Dupont Phosphoric acid stuff) and spray can on a warm afternoon in the sun to cure fast (bugless). The before picture is attached. Stude8

I learned the hard way, and had to redo my manifolds over. The secret is after sandblasting or cleaning the exhaust manifolds is to heat the manifolds , either in an oven or as another member did on the BBQ, I used an propane torch to heat manifold. Heating the part will bring out any moisture out before painting, the moisture is what will start the paint lifting. The manifolds don't have to be red hot, but the hotter the better. This would also apply to the intake manifold .

Jim Schilf

palbuick

Ron: I'll try to catch up with you at Hershey. I'm going for a Preservation so it isn't something that I'm overly worried about. I am concerned about this stuff because once the fire truck gets finished, the only way it'll be getting to a show will be by driving it. If Bill Hirsch's stuff causes a problem, I know I'll find myself in trouble driving 250+ miles to Hershey going up and down all of those hills. Is your Pontiac is going to be there?

Diz, the car is loaded, I have to gas the truck up, hook it up to the trailer, and we'll be pulling out in the morning. We'll be having the King Cobra that you striped up for us, so feel free to use the car for your own advertising. Even if Bill Hirsch is willing to stand behind his product, I'm not so sure that I want to give him the chance because I may have to pull the engine to correct the problem. If I do try his product and his product screws up again, I'll be done doing business with him. If this product that Ron has used works, then I may be switching products. The problem that I have with this car is that is a newer one in the eyes of AACA, it is a unibody, and that car has all of the emissions equipment. The car is not pleasant to work with, and in all honesty, it is a downright pain in the a** to deal with. Of course our older cars are much more forgiving when it comes to having room to work, wiring, etc. Since the completion of the King Cobra, my father and I have had offers to build other Mustang II's, and my father and I have both decided that if someone wants to own a nice Mustang II bad enough, they can own a King Cobra and save themselves money and aggravation.

Pat, The Pontiac will be there in 27a but many times I am wondering around. I may be with a friend who is showing a 29 Alpha for the 1st time. I am going to try and make the DF'er meeting at 1:00. Try me on my cell (717-443-3903) if all else fails and you want to hook up.