Names

Dave@Moon

Lucerne. Lacrosse. Velite. Nobody seems to be happy with them. The threads on the new Buicks are peppered with negative comments regarding the names Buick has been picking lately.

Although the Canadian Lacrosse situation was a bit embarrassing, I personally don't have any qualms with these new series names. I also think that giving new platforms new names is an important task, differentiating the new product.

So I thought I'd start a thread where people could suggest their own names for Buicks. The name has to be new, not an old name dug up for sentimental reasons or a name used previously by someone else. <span style="font-style: italic">What would you want your next Buick to be called?</span> smile.gif

I was looking at some of the old Buick advertisements from the 50's, and here's some that come to mind (keeping with the luxurious mindset):

Buick Sovereign (and the Buick Sovereign L - for long wheel based version?)

Buick Boulevard

Buick Barrister

Good idea for a thread, I'm sure there's a lot of creative ideas out there.

Budd

With the much discussed Buick image problems on this forum, how about the Buick Geriatric (it could be a small compact car), Buick Metamusil Mobile (sorry if I slaughtered the spelling, it could be a retro-woody style wagon for hauling the grandkids), Or the top of the Line, low maintenance Buick Depend(s).

Guest my3buicks

I always liked the original Park Ave show car name "Essence" - I also think for the rumored reaar drive V8 premium Buick that's coming out a simple block lettered <span style="font-weight: bold">E 225</span> would be in keeping with what people seem to like in their luxury car names. Maybe the standard <span style="font-weight: bold">E 225</span> or the upgrade cream of the crop <span style="font-weight: bold">E 225 Essence</span>

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would you want your next Buick to be called?</div></div>

how about Lamar's 54 Century Convertible grin.gif

OK. OK I'll get serious How about... Buick aLamar

Lacrosse works okay for me (but would not want to go too far with it as I don't think I'd like a Buick "football" "basketball" "Jai Lai"...) but as some have mentioned before the Lucerne reminds me of Safeway milk & dairy products and the Terraza of a floor [even though the spelling is different] and the current "R's" (Rainier and Rendezvous) don't do much for me. Don't know what to make of the Velite but it does not move me although the car looks as though it will be okay (won't really know until released as the bean counters have plenty of time to muck it up). Really don't think it is so much a matter of selecting a great name but rather one of not selecting a bad name and in that vein offer:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Buick Geriatric (it could be a small compact car) </div></div> Think that would have to be a LARGE car for us "oldsters." smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> always liked the original Park Ave show car name "Essence" </div></div> Like it too but think perfume rather than car. confused.gif Do think the E225 could work although everyone would say Buick was copying Mercedes (or could go with BMD38-SC for Buick Motor Division 3800 Super Charged, BMD41-R for the Rendezvous, etc...). (Actually don't mind the letter/number ID's on several different makes and don't think that would be a bad way to go.)

The real key is to select a name <span style="font-style: italic">and then make a great car!</span> Once this is done everything else will take care of itself.

Guest Skyking

When Buick came out with their new line up in '59, the three new names fit in rather well. I for one do not like any of the new generation names they picked. They just don't do it....With the cars all looking alike these days, I would rather have an older name attached. At least it would say "it's a Buick".

Guest bkazmer

Velites were lightly armed skirmishers attached to a legion. Centurions were infantry officers in a legion, a much higher ranking position.

Guest my3buicks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Velites were lightly armed skirmishers attached to a legion. Centurions were infantry officers in a legion, a much higher ranking position. </div></div>

Shows what that auto writer knew - your definition works better - a small quick roadster would then fit the Velite name better.

Why can't they just bring back the Invicta, Sportwagon, Wildcat, Riviera, and a GS version of each?

I don't think these names would bring controversy like the actual names do.

It's curently the industry's trend to rebadge cars with names from (a better?) past and it doesn't seem like a bad idea to me!

And some manufacturers keep their old names and seem to be doing well with them. I don't think that Toyota would see the need to change their old Corolla name in their next generation model, why should they? It has been a worldwide best-seller for years.

Chrysler is also doing fine with the 300 and their advertisements clearly refer to the past models.

I hope that the Lucerne will be rebadged into something else like the 80's Somerset Regal (not the Regal Somerset) was rebadged into a Skylark. I never liked the 1988 Lucerne prototype (exept for it's hardtop look) or it's name. I didn't like the Essence (Fragrance crazy.gif) name either but at least, the prototype looked great!

It almost looked like a hardtop as it didn't have window frames.

Unfortunately the production model it inspired did have window frames but at least it didn't get this name...

Of course, names that we like will help sales if Buicks are up to our expectations.

I expect them to be: reliable, durable, solid, high quality, stylish and fun to drive rear wheel drive cars.

In my dreams, I see distinctive full framed Buick wagons and hardtop coupes. It would be cool to have a hardtop sedan too; I hate the boring pillared sedans. and I see no reasons why the stylish hardtop body styles pioneered by Buick should belong to the past. Of course, to satisfy those who are very concerned about wind noise and are afraid about possible rattles, pillared sedans could remain available.

I don't understand either why GM left Ford alone in this market with it's Crown Victoria/Lincoln Town car.

It wouldn't take a lot of imagination to compete them with something better and more appealing. I'm sure they would also sell many solid full framed cars to the actual truck buyers unless they make them look like the unpopular 90's Roadmaster sedans!

I mean, compared to a 1990's Roadmaster sedan (sedate?), my 65 Wildcat 4 door almost looks like a sports car! Even 70's Electras look (and feel) much "younger"!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I hope that the Lucerne will be rebadged into something else like the 80's Somerset Regal (not the Regal Somerset) was rebadged into a Skylark. </div></div>

It's preciesly because of turkeys like this one that the old names have been sullied and need to be replaced. When Toyota comes out with a Corolla that is more known for recalls and a short lifespan than any links to the past honored cars with that name then you can bet you'll have seen the last new Corolla. People outside the hobby don't remember 1968, but they <span style="font-style: italic">do</span> remember 1988!

Personally I like the Buick Soveriegn name best of the ones so far listed. However Ford owns that name by virtue of buying Jaguar (although it's rights may have expired by now). At least it doesn't begin with an "L" or "R", which I think may be deliberate among the current line.

Guest bkazmer

Actually, I think the Sovereign name was owned by Daimler (the British one, not the German one). It may well now be Ford's by way of Jaguar.

OK, Essence? I can see the commercial now. Emeril runs out on stage, sprinkles some "Essence" on the car and yells "BAM!" and runs off.

I only agree with reusing older names, if the car has design styling reminiscent of the original named car. None of the new cars meet that criteria.

Why not name it like it looks? The first time I saw a LaCrosse commercial, I instantly thought "Oh, look at the new Taurus". Sorry, but it looks like that horrendous Ford product to me. No lines, no unique style. Another European jellybean.

Buick needs to learn from Cadillac and some of their new cars. They at least look different! How about the new Chrysler Crossfire? That's different. And their new concept the Firepower. Wow! Now we're talking.

As far as I'm concerned, the name isn't the issue, it's the cars themselves. These new styles are EXACTLY what the Buick stereotype is all about. The families that grew up on the Taurus can now afford something more...and Buick is going after these aging Taurus owners.

These are only my opinion. No offense is meant towards anyone. But I for one won't consider these new Buicks anytime soon. Maybe a Mopar owner in the making, but at least these Mopars have some new styling. (Have at that comment Dan smile.gif )

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Maybe a Mopar owner in the making, but at least these Mopars have some new styling. (Have at that comment Dan smile.gif ) </div></div>

Chrysler is the only car company out there that is giving most people what they want.........style, rear wheel drive, and bigger engines, in their cars, SUV's & trucks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chrysler is the only car company out there that is giving most people what they want.........style, rear wheel drive, and bigger engines, in their cars, SUV's & trucks! </div></div>

Chrysler (and Mercedes) are currently too good at giving their service departments what they want as well, <span style="font-style: italic">job security</span>. With the exception of the PT Crusier their products rank among the least reliable vehicles on the road, with Dodge trucks and Jeep SUVs firmly entrenched as Worst in Class on that count.Most (if not all) Korean cars currently outrank them.

Style will only get you so far. frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Actually, I think the Sovereign name was owned by Daimler (the British one, not the German one). It may well now be Ford's by way of Jaguar. </div></div>

Daimler has been a Jaguar holding since the 1950's. The last non-Jag derived Daimlers were the SP-250s which died out in 1964.

---------------------

I think using the old names has been a double-edged sword that cuts back more than froward. Like it or not, Buick needs new names. Are there any other <span style="font-style: italic">original</span> names out there? confused.gif

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Chrysler (and Mercedes) are currently too good at giving their service departments what they want as well, <span style="font-style: italic">job security</span>. With the exception of the PT Crusier their products rank among the least reliable vehicles on the road, with Dodge trucks and Jeep SUVs firmly entrenched as Worst in Class on that count.Most (if not all) Korean cars currently outrank them.

</div></div>

I was never a big believer of Consumers Reports. smirk.gif I talk to people who own them. Just in my shop alone, owners of Chrysler products outweigh every other make.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I was never a big believer of Consumers Reports. I talk to people who own them. Just in my shop alone, owners of Chrysler products outweigh every other make. </div></div>

Might be too much of an assumption but if they are in your shop that might just confirm CR's ratings. They certainly do not sell more than others so if they are as reliable as other makes you should not see more of them <span style="font-style: italic">(unless you specialize in Chrysler products of course).</span> smile.gif

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Might be too much of an assumption but if they are in your shop that might just confirm CR's ratings. They certainly do not sell more than others so if they are as reliable as other makes you should not see more of them <span style="font-style: italic">(unless you specialize in Chrysler products of course).</span> smile.gif </div></div>

I'm talking about my print "shop" where I work. Sorry if I confused you... confused.gif

DANG!!! It's been amusing seeing so many orientations voiced that are just mimicking what the media is saying about various vehicle brands. Or parroting back what was said about some of these cars over 20 years ago! Geez! Aren't we supposed to be enlightened by the Internet? Or has the Internet turned into a flame box for a few that are suspected to represent the masses?

To me, a car name must have some pannache (sp) about it. It needs to sound somewhat dramatic when an announcer talks about it in a commercial or at a new car show. It needs to be classy, especially in the case of Buick and other similar orientation vehicles. If it successfully uses a prior name for a good car, that's great!

By observation, Ford and Chrysler Group don't seem to have much trouble putting old names on current model vehicles (which are generally deserving of those names as they still have some of the "essence" of the prior models in them), yet GM just does not seem to have had the same successes in that area (for one reason or another). Might that be due to "car guys" not being in the decision making areas at GM? People that understand what really resonates with enthusiasts of particular marques of vehicles? Or has it been about forcing some agendas that management had to "sell" to the public?

People used to talk down about Chrysler "badge engineering" vehicles (particularly Dodge and Plymouth vehicles on the same platform), but when the current GTO (if you care to check out the Holden website) is nothing more than a Holden with Pontiac identifiers on it, something seems a little out of whack to me. Even the hood on the current Monaro coupe is the SAME as the current GTO "scooped" hood! GEEZ! And this is what "globalization" means?

Unfortunately, there seem to be very few people working in marketing GM vehicles that probably really understand what each GM brand meant in prior times. Or if they do, they put "their" spin on it (which might not be entirely accurate). Updating and modernizing is one thing, but the core values of each brand should remain the same over time so there is something to build on for future generations of buyers and enthusiasts.

As much as I did not agree with the "merger" of Mercedes and Chrysler, I can say that the current Chrysler 300 (especially in the Touring and HEMI variations) still have the "spirit" and "essence" of what made the 300s of prior times great (letter cars or regular 300s, either one). Similar with Dodge, although I do NOT agree with their use of "Charger" for the sedan stablemate to the Chrysler 300, yet the Magnum is really neat.

To me, the Ford Five Hundred has updated DNA of the Galaxie 500s of prior decades. And with the similar Mercury, have terriffic value at their price points. With their existing Mercury, Lincoln, and new Mustangs, Ford has a pretty dang good product mix. Oh, and then there's the new Fusion/Milan and Lincoln Zephyr. And we'll probably be seeing the same mix of cars for some years to come, but they'll probably make Ford a good deal of money in the process.

Some people claim that the "car for every purse" orientation of the early 20th century is outmoded and wrong for modern times. They like to reference the difficulties that GM is having and reference them to that "old" orientation. Yet these same people fail to consider that Mercedes has a similar situation in their product mix too! Unless a car maker is going for a certain niche, they have to have models to fill all segments if they desire to grow and be competitive.

Plus, as certain GM divisions used to be charged with bringing and testing certain designs and engineering advances, if they failed for some reason, it only reflected upon that one car line and not the whole corporation. When Mercedes was making their earlier model A-class cars that wanted to "roll over and play dead" everytime they tried to avoid some wildlife on the roads of their homeland, it reflected upon the ENTIRE Mercedes entity and reputation. So, "A car for every purse" (and related social demographics) makes sense now as it did then.

There have been many marketing and design missteps of the prior 25 years that you'd think somebody would be using them for college marketing class case studies. Maybe all of the "more knowledgeable" people that used to work for car companies are now somewhere else (for whatever reason)? Or maybe the corporate accountants are still trying to cost-cut the corporation into prosperity rather than invest in building great products for better long term results and profits?

Granted, the automotive industry is a complex animal, but it also seems that some of the "easy stuff" is made into terribly difficult matters to make happen. Perhaps the Harley Earl advertising for Buick didn't really hit home as there might not be anything currently built that really embodies the essence of what Mr. Earl did? Nothing in new models with which to lever that whole message against, perhaps?

Or perhaps with everybody aiming for "new" or "conquest" customers, they forget how to keep their current customers and also make new ones desire existing vehicles? It's obvious that the Smale/Zarella "brand management" orientation did not work so I'd think it would be reasonable to get headed in a new direction as quickly as possible. Oh, that's right, to claim that era as a "marketing failure" would be admitting that somebody did something wrong. Well, sometimes you have to admit you screwed up and then fix the problem before it gets worse and "get on down the road" with things.

So invest some time and send those "new recruits" at GM into the Heritage Center or the vehicle warehouses to research just what made each of the GM brands great in the 1950s and 1960s. Only when those new people (who should be the future of GM!) really understand these things (with respect to design and "how it was done") can GM bring really neat and distinctive products to market in ALL market segments. They don't have to "like" them, but if they just understand and can emulate some of these things into future vehicles, I suspect that would be a really big step forward in GM returning to the prominence in the car market that really needs to happen.

Don't try to copy and adapt to what other brands/manufacturers are doing in all respects, but carve out a styling niche that clearly states that a GM vehicle is a GM vehicle and that a Chevrolet is a Chevrolet, a Buick is a Buick, for example. And then bring these new cars out en masse! Get the advertising buzz of old times going! These are some of the simple things--not rocket science--that used to work so well that have been deviated from in more modern times. The spirit of Harley Earl can live again!

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest my3buicks

What ever happened to Dave's original request to come up with some good new names for the new Buicks - this can be a fun thread - let's not drag it down into the what and why's. wink.gif

If I know advertising (and I do a little bit after 14+ years in the agency business) GM won't be looking for suggestions on names. They have entire books full of possibilities, and there are computer programs specifically made to come up with names (including a lot of the Japanese cars, I hear) with or without human input. Entire agencies do nothing but come up with product names.

Then, they take these names and throw them out to focus groups of car buyers and get their input.

Then, they whittle down the list to a few prime contenders.

Then, the CEO and Marketing VP of the corporation take the finalists home to their wives and ask which ones they like, and those are the ones that get put on the cars. (There are many tales of corporate colors and entire ad campaigns being selected this way, too.)

So, it's a crapshoot at best.

But I was thinking about Electra, and how this name has roots in mythology (and psychology for that matter--it's the female counterpart to the Oedipus Complex, the desire of a girl to kill her mother and sleep with her father. I wonder if they researched that back in the 50's?)

But lets look at some other mythological characters and places--

Adonis

Aegeous

Aero

Alpheus

Amazon

Apollo (whoops--but it was a Buick)

Arcas

Argos

Athena

Athens

Aurora (whoops again--somebody at GM had this Greek idea, too)

...and that's just the "A"s

Europa

is one I particularly like. Much better than "Euro" which always sounded like a bodily function to me, and now has the distinctin of being a car with a currency named after it.

"Eros" would be fun, wouldn't it?

I was looking for one starting with "I" and the only good one I found was "Ion"--somebody else was looking through this index!

"Vulcan" would be a great name if Buick ever went into the engulf-and-devour-size SUVs.

There is also a possibility in returning to some bird names, although many of the better ones--falcon, eagle--have been taken.

Raven (don't think anybody's used this?)

Hawk (a re-run. some may have bad experieces associated with this)

Cardinal

Thrush

Peregrine

...and maybe an earlier poster had the best idea, suggesting a name with "panache"

I give you, the 2005...

Buick Panache

My pick for the "dog" name of the last 20 years--The Chevy Astro. Every time I see one I think, "Ree, Reorge... rhere're re roing?"

Going down a somewhat different path, how about:

Buick Harlow

Buick Curtice

Buick Dunbar (yuk)

Buick Earl

Don't suppose we could get away with "Harley"...

Nickels ?

Ragsdale

Yeah, that's what I want - a 2006 Buick Ragsdale LS !!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...interesting since the French are on a lot of peoples' "s*** list". </div></div>

Well not around here! I {we} just LOVE the French people, their political leaders - and not to mention their CARS!!!!!!!!

We always have at least 3 or 4 french buggys around. They are remarkably well built cars, and beautiful as well. As an aside, I get to contribute to French economy every time I buy a replacement part, which makes me feel good - REAL GOOD!

So no, the French aren't on EVERONES s-list - only those of near sighted jingoists - you know, like the screwballs that came up with the hideous "freedom fries"!!! {no disrespect to "old tank" intended!}

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

In keeping with Buick's adoption of "L" names, which they would likely want to expand on, how about "Laguna" for a sporty coupe?

It is in keeping with place names like Lucerne (and even Lacross--although I don't think they had Wisconsin in mind) and has that kind of fun-at-the-beach quality that Chevy tried with Biscayne.

Some of these names may be ridiculous for one reason or another, but any kind of comments are welcome.

my3Buicks,

What many folks are probably discovering is it isn't so easy to come up with viable names. But coming up with crazy ideas and humor is a good way to brainstorm.

For instance, how about "Landyacht"

Well, that's stupid, but there might be some real contenders with nautical themes. Corvette has held up pretty well over the years, and Clipper had a nice run.

Just some thoughts.

Guest my3buicks

Guy, I agree, the fun names and humore ar fine - it was the deeper analizing I was trying to ward off, and of course the "French Connection Thread"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guy, I agree, the fun names and humore ar fine - it was the deeper analizing I was trying to ward off, and of course the "French Connection Thread" </div></div>

laugh.gif I hope that spelling was deliberate! laugh.gif

And yes, Guy, that was my point from the beginning. It'd be nice to come up with a few viable names for cars here, but mostly it illustrates what a tough job Detroit has and why they're muffed it so many times.

The other considerations needs to be that the ultimate name is easily pronounced by all citizens, in the USA and abroad. Plus being highly cognizant of what the name might really mean (in acknowledged dictionaries) in foreign languages.

Supposedly, the whole Cadillac Catera advertising was changed by some "corporate wives" that didn't like Ms. Crawford in the ads. Not a good move for sales, as it turned out.

If you understand what or how a letter series of nomenclatures progresses through the model line, as in Mercedes Benz, then it all makes sense--IF you know what it all means. Names of famous or senic or interesting venues has worked well in the past as have names of other things. Computer programs probably can't understand the human emotion which names might conjure up in the potential owner's mind with respect to a vehicle or product. A classy name on a lower end product can elevate it to greater success than a more mundane name would. Chevrolet did some ads for the Biscayne introduction in the Florida Keys, which was considered a somewhat exotic and fashionable part of the country at that time. BelAir was on the other side of the country, but similarly classy. These are some of the better examples of tie-ins with venues.

I get some of the same Jetson's ideas from the Astro, but I modified it to "Astroid" in my references to it. Not a bad product, all things considered, just didn't have an interesting name. But better than "Lumina" by a long shot!

Enjoy!

NTX5467