Hidden Treasures Collection - Possible Value?

Ed Blackburn

Good Day Forum Members:

Please pardon me if I am posting my question in the wrong forum category. I will be happy to repost or perhaps a moderator will let me know the error of my ways and move me, if I in fact I have.

I am looking for some help regarding the possible value of a private antique car collection. I totally understand that it is impossible for anyone to give an accurate appraisal of any automobile, much less an antique one, without seeing it in person. That being said, I have been contacted by a family here in Maryland whose patriarch recently passed away. The family is looking at a number of options to sell his private (and rarely seen collection). His pride was to restore these for himself and rarely, if ever, did anyone see them. He did not go to shows.

I am hopeful that perhaps I could just get a ballpark range of value. All of these automobiles were restored by the collector himself. He was an engineer and had a complete machine shop to make his own parts if none were available. I am told that all of them run. All of the vehicles are on jack stands and the family was told by the owner, prior to his death that only an expert should attempt to restart any of them. Two of the cars (the International truck and the racer were works in progress). The remainder are fully restored. Again, I realize that one would need to see the quality of restoration of each car for an accurate value.

There are nine cars in this collection and at this point I only have titles to six so I am at a loss to know what make three of them are. The autos include: 1911 International, 1906 White Stanley Steamer, 1912 Overland Touring, 1911 Kelsey (3 wheeler), 1920 Buick Touring, Yr? Ford Roadster. I apologize for the poor quality of the images but the lighting was poor. I could certainly return and take more if required to estimate collection value. Any and all help would certainly be appreciated.

The images can be seen by pointing your browsers address window to: http://www.courtesychevrolet.biz/antique

Please contact me via post, PM, or email. NOTE: I am simply using the server at my job to host these images. The dealer has nothing to do with the cars and is NOT even aware of them.

Thank you for your time.

Thank you for posting the photos. It is always nice to find another unknown collection of cars, makes one wonder how many other collections are out there. The true gem of this collection is the White Steamer, there is no connection with the Stanley other than steam power. Ford number 6 is a 1917-22, a check of the motor number should tell you the exact year. The racer is a 1928-29 Model A Ford with a speedster body that is available from Rootleib in California. I've always had an interest in the Motorette manufactured in Hartford,Connecticut by Kelsey Mfg.Co.

Guest Stllrng.

I agree, if that White is as good as it looks, it is worth big dollars. Of course, ANY White is worth owning, in any condition.

White- perhaps the finest car of our time...

Thanks for your post. I totally agree with you regarding the man's life on display but I am charged with liquidating this collection and am doing what I have to do in order to accomplish this task to the best of my ability.

#11 is a 1906 White Steamer (immaculate inside and out). In working condition. I am still trying to determine if it is and 0 or 00. The serial number is 3525.

Al Prueitt & Son's (1-800-766-0035) are not to far from you and either Al, Ralph or Dave are qualified to give appraisals. Having been in the restoration 40 years now they do this frequently for insurance purposes. Of course its not free but really not that much either. They have several clients in the Maryland area.

The other option that wouldn't be my first choice is a trustworthy auction company. Its amazing how many collections similar to this that are out there.

Guest Stllrng.

Mika, are you asking about the story of this car in particular, or the history of the White motor company in general?

White- perhaps the finest car of our time...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mika, are you asking about the story of this car in particular, or the history of the White motor company in general?

White- perhaps the finest car of our time... </div></div>

I was thinking about White Motor Company-

I thought The Imperial was the finest car of our time... :-) OK, there have been several GREAT car makers in the USA, but I really would like to hear more about White.

Thanks !!

There's no reason why you shouldn't put the cars on Ebay. We've all seen some very big money spent on all sorts of cars there. Only negative I can think of is that someone interested may not be looking regularly on Ebay and might miss them. Don't worry if you need to list them again. Obviously the week before I was looking for the car I bought on Ebay it probably wouldn't have sold. It's timing sometimes. cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If these cars do end up on ebay then please come back and post a note here for us so we can drool some more over them.

tongue.gif

Bob </div></div>

Please be assured that this will be the first place that I come after posting each car for auction on eBay Motors. I have much to learn and scores of images to take before the auctions begin. I thank each and every one of you for you kindness and help.

NOTE: I have contacted I-VAN and I am hopeful that the entire collection will be professionaly appraised within the month. Thanks again to all!

Ed,

Rather than pay money to list something on Ebay, you can list those cars on this forum for FREE, and set the price that you want for them. EBAY could bring you more money than sought, but if they don't, you've spent the money, and you haven't sold the cars. I am not a fan of ebay at all. I would rather have someone give me their price, take it or leave it, and not having to screw around getting caught up into a bidding war by someone who wants it worse than me and/or someone who is out there to "bump" the price up on something to make more money for the seller.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ed,

Rather than pay money to list something on Ebay, you can list those cars on this forum for FREE, and set the price that you want for them. EBAY could bring you more money than sought, but if they don't, you've spent the money, and you haven't sold the cars. I am not a fan of ebay at all. I would rather have someone give me their price, take it or leave it, and not having to screw around getting caught up into a bidding war by someone who wants it worse than me and/or someone who is out there to "bump" the price up on something to make more money for the seller. </div></div>

An excellent suggestion x98thdrill and one that I will take under serious advisement. Thank you for your post.

Ed