Driving to Batavia-what should I bring along

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guest imported_MrEarl

I am thinking about driving Buttercup, a 54 Roadmaster, to Batavia this summer. Probably looking at around 900-1000 miles. I've only driven this car around the block (a country block) a few times since I bought her but plan to drive it more before the trip. My question is what preparations should be made for this trip in the way of readying the car for the road. Also what spare parts might I want to bring along. Any other help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Guest Skyking

When traveling far I also pack a small box with points, condenser, an extra cap, electrical tape, a small roll of wire, (you never know if you have to tie something up),flashlight..........

With cars that have not been driven much or cars that have just been built, I have a system that seems to work pretty good.

I first take the car on a 5 mile drive and then back to fix everything that is broken. This catches the big things you may miss. On your car, that may have already taken place.

I then go fo a 50 mile drive and back to fix everything. This normally catches a few items and it gives the car a chance to heat up and have a few bolts rattle loose.

When everything is fixed, I then go fo a 500 mile drive. This sometime entails fixing things along the way.

I carry tools and replacement consumables (water pump, plugs, points, fuel filter etc.) along with me and on the 50 mile drive, I normally follow with a truck and trailer.

By the time I am done fixing everything I find on the 500 mile drive, I trust the car.

Guest my3buicks

The only trouble I ever had with my 53 was fuel pumps, it liked them better than gas. You just have to use common scence, I drove a 57 Century with 47K original miles to St Louis Nationals a bunch of years ago, and before the trip I methodically went over and checked out or replaced things that could cause trouble. The trip went without a hitch other than about loosing it in a flood at the hotel parking lot I stayed at during the "big storm".

Bring a shop manual. Buy AAA premium towing service, the kind that will tow you 100 miles. Bring the BCA roster and rosters from any other clubs you are in. A recent copy of Hemmings. A reasonable set of tools. Chances are you will need none of these things, but if you do have problems, they can be helpful.

We have driven our '27 Buick quite a bit farther than you are proposing, had a wonderful time and would love to do it again.

Buick Trip

I don't bring a lot of spare parts. If your car has any marginal parts that you know of, fix them before you leave. I do carry an old servicable set of ignition parts and plugs, these take up little space. I suggest you leave the water pumps, generators, and the like at home, unless you are just loaded with extra space. You could get these items pretty quick if you needed them on the road, using your Hemmings or BCA Roster.

Good luck and see you on the road!

Bill.

Guest my3buicks

I don't agree with leaving your parts at home, as we have all had even new parts let go, you can tightly pack parts in nooks and cranny's, or take them out of boxes and pack them tightly in on larger box. I do have to admit, I tend to overkill when I travel in the old cars and find my rear bumper dragging on the ground blush.gif Another option is to have your parts boxed ready to ship and at a friend or relatives house, so with a telephone call they can be overnighted to where you are at. I actually have Vintage suitcases for whatever year car I am traveling in and load one of the suitcases down with any and all maintence items I am taking. It works great and gives your car a bit of nostalgia in the trunk(some of the older cases are great). My favorite set is for the 69, black and white psychodellic samsonites. Trips in the older Buicks are so much fun, makes me wish I had an older one again.

I agree with Keith, don't leave the water pump, fuel pump or generator home if you got 'em. Trying to find parts on the road for these old cars can cost you a fortune, cause the folks that got 'em if you can find them, will know you are in a pinch. And the best advice is if you have them with you, you won't need them! Hopefully. "The Old Guy" changed the water pump on his '40, I think in the rain in NY in '99. Luckily he had one with him, and his sidekick brother-in-law and they did it, without many of us even knowing it! We were doing other things, like eating and/or drinking, if I remember correctly!

Think about the tools that are special for your car. Like a feeler guage if you need to mess with points, assorted screwdrivers for those special places ( I need a small one for the clips on my distributor cap on the 56). I like to take a small rolling floor jack since I trust no bumper jack in existance. This came in very handy for the Centenial. Something to chock the tires too.

Of course I agree nothing is better than fixing marginal items BEFORE you go. Sure wish I had done this when a mechanic told me he thought I had a bad bearing in one front wheel. Luckilly I made it to Guy Bennett's in Wayland on the way home before the replacement became absolutely necessary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... don't leave the water pump, fuel pump or generator home...</div></div>

I'd add at least a full complement of fluids, some radiator/block sealer, and a voltage regulator to the lists thus far. (If there's even a question of a steering or brake component needing repair change it before you leave.) Also be sure not to overpack and strain the car.

One last suggestion: For the Flint meet in 2003 I managed to find a period aftermarket bug screen for my '60 to help keep the radiator clear during the trip. A simple sheet of screen in front of the grille on most cars would probably do the job, but an all-encompassing screen is a good idea. I bought the screen as a result of my drives up I-90 to the Buffalo meet in 2001.

My family stayed in Erie, PA and played at the beach while I commuted up the Thruway each day (~80 miles). The mayflies were emerging out of the lake at the time and I wound up driving my car through literal clouds of insects much of the way along the lake. If you're approaching Batavia from the mid-west this is something to keep in mind!

I just read this posting with the Buick Trip. If this was posted before, I missed it. This story is very interesting and should be an inspiration to all of us, especially with cars from the 50s, going back. That was quite a trip for a solo ride with a '27. I have debated several times about driving from CT to Batavia with my '32 and still considering, if it would not make my wife too nervous. Even with my '68 you vever know what can go wrong. But then again, we have all seen plenty of 2000 and newer cars along the road.

Is this '27 being driven east again to Batavia?

John

John:

We are not driving the '27 to Batavia, we have other commitments this year. We did drive it to Plano last year and enjoyed receiving a Buick driven award. This was a relatively short trip for her, about 950 miles each way, give or take a few. We had a flat on the Plano trip, and a valve seat fell out of a vacuum tank valve. Repairs for both problems were straightforward, though it was very hot that week and difficult to work in that weather. We hit a vicious hailstorm in Amarillo that damaged lots of cars within a few miles of us -- but the Buick lucked out, no damage or even bad leaks inside.

We are big fans of driving old cars to events, we have done it for years. We have never failed to arrive either, though we have usually have minor problems on the road. Our contingency plan for major breakdown is always to leave the car with a collector somewhere, take a bus or plane home, and arrange shipping for the car home with one of the major carriers (Passport or Reliable). This can be done for .50-$1 a mile, not cheap but not the end of the world.

We tend to stay off the freeways too, even with our newer cars that can go over 60 MPH. There is more to see on the side roads and the traffic is not so hostile. If we are real pressed for time, we take newer cars that can easily make 500 to 600 miles per day, much better than the usual 200 we did with the '27.

Keep drivin' 'em!

John, be encouraged about driving your '32 to Batavia. We've found that those who drive their old Buicks to the events are those who have the most fun.

For inspiration, here's a shot from the route to Flint of Gary & Shirley Cummings' 1931 Buick 90 series, driven from Seattle to Flint and home again. I know that Gary & Shirley have even considered driving the '31 to Batavia, following a route described in a book on the "Yellowstone Trail". The '31 did not miss a beat all the way to Flint.

203IM002695-med.JPG

Lamar, you worry too much. Just fill'rup and take off like you know what you are doing.

Now if you really want to be paranoid:

Cooling system service...change all hoses, belts, thermostat, flush the block and have the radiator rodded, and change the water pump if still original (don't count on 50 year old bearings and seal) and carry a spare water pump and a fan belt.

Fuel system...change the fuel pump if you don't know the history and carry a spare; rig an inline fuel filter at the gas tank since the one on the carb is useless, cannot be cleaned nor are replacements available and to me is just decoration for originality. Rebuild the carb or at least disassemble, clean the gunk in the bottom and replace the gaskets and needle and seat.

Electrical and ignition...change points plugs wires or convert to Pertronix, carry spares and a ballast resistor. Rebuild the generator (bearings brushes armature and field coils) and carry a spare. Carry spare starter, voltage regulator, fuses, electrical tape.

Drivetrain...Change the seal and gasket at the front of the torque tube; the original leather is no good anymore. The seals in the engine, transmission and pinion are shot too, but require major disassembly. Change the valve cover gaskets and replace all fluids. Inspect the freeze plugs and replace as needed.

The only things that I have replaced on the road in the 18 years that I have driven 3,000-5,000 miles to and from Buick meets is generaters (kept using old ones from parts cars)...I remember at least 5 times and a leaky power steering hose ( bought a used pump with hoses at the swap meet). I have had other "adventures" including the cam chewing holes in the lifters (limped home from Chicago on 5 cylinders) and massive transmission leak that resolved without intervention. Never had to walk a step because of breakdown and never used a wrecker or trailer.

Just fill'rup and take off like you know what you are doing.

Willie

I have driven my Buicks many miles. My 40 has traveled over 100,000 with me at the wheel, and the only things changed in the road were voltage regulators ( 2) and a water pump. My 32 Buick had a fan pulley replaced ( the bearing went bad) and the generator went . This was on a trip to California hauling a 1935 17 ft "Covered Wagon" trailer. if you use the car on a regular basis, you know what parts are approaching the replacement time, and those are the ones you should carry. If you have any doubts, you can have extra parts packaged and numbered, and have a friend put them on a bus ,if you need them. You can get them in usually a day or two.

I forgot the most important thing: brakes!

Replace all of the wheel cylinders with new (NAPA) and at least rebuild the master cylinder, replace all brake hoses and maybe the steel lines if there is crusty rust on the outside. And of course if the shoes are worn or contaminated replace them.

Also replace the seals and repack the axle bearings (front and rear).

Now you should be able to drive it around the world.

Willie

A thread on the AACA forum ( 37 buick suspension upgrade--Check it out!) reminded me of something I've been carrying in the glovebox for years just in case I hit bad pothole or jump a curb: <span style="font-style: italic">allignment shims!</span> If your car needs them to correct a problem and they're not a typically available type you might want to carry a few. smile.gif

Guest imported_MrEarl

Wow, that's a lot of parts to buy and work to do shocked.gifcrazy.gif. Maybe I'll start a new thread. "Lookin for a dependable dirt cheap car hauler for hire for the week of Juyl 6th" Or perhaps " Wrenching party, BYO tools and parts". Nah, just kidding, and thanks everybody for all the help. There's a wealth of knowledge and experience went into your responses. I realized most of the items were necessary but seeing them all at one time is sorta overwhelming.

Actually reading through all the responses sorta reminded me of how it use to be when we drove these things back in their time. Most of the stuff y'all brought up is standard maintenance items of the day.

Guess I better get started wrenchin, eh. wink.gif