Architecture and Signage: Historic Buick Dealerships

Centurion

• 7 months later...
Guest imported_MrEarl

I love these 50's Buicks linen postcards.

Currently on eBay.

Looks like Haney was a Buick dealer before he sold the Green Acres farm to the Douglases grin.gif

post-32987-143137956567_thumb.jpg

You got to love those buildings -- the thirties, fourties and fifties brought out some of the finest industrial buildings you can find in the US...

Cheers

Dyna

PS: Especially love the Boylan one...

• 5 months later...

Mr. Earl, I wored across the street from the former Haney Buick dealership building in Detroit for 12 years. It is now a marshalling center for the Purple Heart charity and huge 53' semis back up to the door that the round Buick sign is over, cutting traffic off on Grand River ave., a major Detroit street.

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TG57Roadmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1,000 words not necessary.

TG </div></div>

No, only 144 dollars.

But looks like it will be going to a good home. Our own El Diablo was the successful bidder. I lost out way back at 24.54 LOL

Brown Buick

Guest imported_MrEarl

That's interesting MrPushbutton. Wonder where the old sign ever got off to. Thanks for sharing that interesting tidbit. smile.gif

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello To All:

I thought I'd give a try at giving this thread a jump start.

A very good thread in my view.

So here is my first addition to this thread.

From my collection.

I bought this photo last year at Hershey (2011)

I have been unable to identify the location nor the name of the dealer.

Some great Buick signs, and a GMC sign, plus several neon in the windows.

Note the ladies in the upper floor windows. Circa late 1930's to early 1940's.

More photos to follow in the days ahead.

post-58764-143139285194_thumb.jpg

What a fine photo! If you enlarge it and use a magnifying glass, it appears to say "Cambra Motors" on the truck and in the display window, and I think it says "Johnstown" on the truck's door, so maybe Johnstown, Pennsylvania? Can anyone who knows Johnstown verify this?? The car in the showroom is either a 1939 or a 1940 Buick sedan.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

Guest 75RivGS

Found this nice building last summer with a (GMC) Buick dealer in Pittsfield, IL. I couldn't resist to snap a photo with my 69 Electra in front of it:

DSC03903.jpg

Although the building was used by a Pontiac dealer in earlier days:...

DSC03901.jpg

There was a nice surprise inside:

DSC03902.jpg

DSC03892.jpg

From my personal collection.

I've had this photo for about eight years.

On the back of the photo it reads:

Alkon Buick Company

Wyandotte, Mich.

September 1939.

Making room for the 1940's

Please excuse the poor quality of the picture.

I took a copy of the original with my ipad. My original is framed under glass.

post-58764-143139287303_thumb.jpg

Edited by xp-300 (see edit history)

Haney.jpg

coleman.jpg

Remember Haney Buick as it was just around the corner from where I grew up. Notice the Vermont phone number exchange, and the zone number. (zip code now) My son saw an old ruler I had with a VE (Vermont) number on it and said what kind of phone number is that. Oh the good old days!!! Haney Buick was the old Andrews Buick in the 40's.

Edited by papaw (see edit history)

I always like a chance to show my 1960 Electra in front of Bennett Buick's 1926 building. Still selling cars from the same location today. Wayland, New York- Tell them Bernie sent you. :)

Bernie

2%20001.jpg

Kool Pic.

Do you have their phone number? I'd like to give them a call and see if they have any 1953 NOS parts. :o

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Guest shadetree77

Got these from the net. First is McKinney Buick in Chattanooga, TN owned by Mr. Virgil W. McKinney. From what I can find, this dealership was in business from 1948-1956 and changed locations three times over the course of 8 years. This picture is of the final location at 1809 Broad Street. My '52 was purchased in Chattanooga brand new in '52 so there is a very good chance my car was driven out of this very showroom. By the looks of the Buicks inside and the presence of a V8 sign on the left side window, this must have been taken some time between '53 and '56. I've captured a picture from Google Street View taken in 2007. Seems it is now inhabited by a Mexican restaurant.

In 1957-1966, this building was taken over by the Amos and Andy Buick Company owned by Mr. Amos Trotter. There are two pictures below of the same building changed over to the Amos and Andy signage circa 1964. Here also is a picture of Mr. Trotter.

Next is B.C. Bedford Buick Service located at 3455 Brainerd Road in Chattanooga, TN owned by Mr. Benjamin C. Bedford from 1953-1978. I've also included a link to a small article about this Buick Service Garage. I've captured a picture from Google Street View taken in 2007. Seems it now belongs to a company that sells insulation.

Brainerd's Bedford Buick Business - 03/20/2011 - Chattanoogan.com

Finally, here are a few shots of Tom Mitchell Buick in Atlanta and a few of the Buick Motor Company and it's accompanying showroom circa 1926.

Finding all of these images and finding out that these buildings still exist (which is really uncommon in today's world) I am hatching a plan for a great Buick outing next summer. When Lucy is up and running I think I'll take a trip to Chattanooga and get some pictures of the old girl in front of these buildings. Maybe even make contact with the building owners and see if they know the history behind their locations. Wouldn't that be cool? I'm looking forward to it!

post-75106-14313930267_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143139302672_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143139302675_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143139302677_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143139302683_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143139302685_thumb.jpg

post-75106-14313930269_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143139302691_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143139302693_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143139302695_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143139302697_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143139302699_thumb.jpg

Edited by shadetree77 (see edit history)

Finding all of these images and finding out that these buildings still exist (which is really uncommon in today's world) I am hatching a plan for a great Buick outing next summer. When Lucy is up and running I think I'll take a trip to Chattanooga and get some pictures of the old girl in front of these buildings. Maybe even make contact with the building owners and see if they know the history behind their locations. Wouldn't that be cool? I'm looking forward to it!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Let me know when you plan to head out, me and Buttercup might join ya. Maybe we can stop by Cokerville and tour the museum.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Guest shadetree77

No problem Lamar. Will do. Buick road trip! It would be great to have pictures taken at these places. I might even take my recently acquired large Buick Service sign along and prop it in one of the windows if the owner's don't mind. We could have some lunch over at the Terminal Brewhouse. Great place for a burger and an in-house brewed beer. It's also a very historic building located right next to the Chattanooga Choo-Choo. Cokerville is an awesome spectacle. I went there a few months ago when they had their big car show. I would like to stop back by though. It was hard to look around in the museum because of the gigantic crowd. I'd like a chance to spend more time in there. First things first though, got a LOT of work to do on old Lucy before she's roadworthy. I'll give you a holler when the weather warms up a bit.