1925 Cadillac Pedal Car

pint4

As an extension of my car collecting, I started to collect pedal cars. I have 4 collector cars and they consume a considerable amount of garage space. That is why I started to collect the smaller versions of the full-size cars. My most recent acquisition is a 1925 Cadillac. It has loads of options and even has a 2 speed transmission, drive shaft, rear parking brake, sidemount spare with cover, convertible top, glass lenses, etc. Quite a car and all original-untouched. I am planning to leave it unrestored. It has character. Attached are a couple of photos. Does anyone else collect pedal cars?

Thats a great looking pedal car. I have a full size 25 Cadillac, though its in the hospital right now. I have a couple of the very commmon pedal cars that I picked up at Hershey some years ago and they add a little color to the garage. I enjoy having them too. Yours is really great though I have never seen that that one before. Enjoy it.

On the subject of pedal cars, maybe someone can help me identify this pedal car that is a part of my family history. The photo was taken in 1927 in Flint Michigan and is my Uncle Dick with a Christmas present. The car came from Mott's Department Store in Flint and was a gift from the owner to my grandfather in return for fixing some steam pipes in his store that winter. My mother seemed to remember it cost $150 in 1927-- way beyond the range of my family at the time if it had not been a gift but her memory may have not been that good since $150 seems like a lot for a toy when you could buy a car for $500-600 at the time. No one in the family remembers what kind of a car it was, but since there were a number of auto makers active in Flint at the time (Dort, Flint, Buick, etc) I always thought it might have been made by one of the body works like Fisher Body. But now that I see your post, I can make out similar parts such as the grill louvers, windshield frame and bumpers. If your's is a Cadillac, maybe some of these cars were made by Fisher since they were located in Flint. My uncle's car had nice detailing like the Nickel plated step plate, bumpers and radiator and pinstriping. The windshield and top folded down and the doors opened. You can see running lights on the running board like Studebaker had as an option in the lete 20's.

1927_Pedal_Car.jpg

Richard,

That is one fine pedal car!!! Definitely top of the line. Very detailed and loaded with every imaginable option one could want on a pedal car. I zoomed in on the radiator badge-looks like it says Buick, which seems to be consistent with it being sold in Flint. I also believe the car was made by American National and definitely would be among their top of the line pedal cars. A real treasure now and a real treasure in 1927.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

The car is definately an Amercican National car. Made in Toledo Ohio. Could be a 1926 model. Sometimes they sat for a while because they were not cheap. Many of the luxury pedal cars of the day were used in toy store or general store contests. Truly a great pedal car!

Yes the numbers do mean something. Your car is not a 1925 it is in fact a 1926. American National pedal cars all have a 4 digit number stenciled on the rear of the car. The first digit represents the last number of the year. In your case, 6 means the car was manufactured in 1926. The model number of that paticular car is 541. I think that your car is fantastic and would love to see more photos. I collect American National catalogs but I do not have a 26. I will ask a couple of friends to see if I can find a catalog picture for you.

• 15 years later...

Just  wanted to let you know that I own the same 1926 American National pedal car.  Mine was repainted by my parents and given to me as a child back in 1957.  The car was originally purchased new by my uncle for my cousin (who was much older than me) back in the 1920's.  I really enjoyed seeing your car and what mine would have looked like originally.

DSCN1506.JPG

IMG_0001.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

I don't know if anyone will see this post but I'm going to leave it anyway. 17 years ago I came to this site and read the post called !925 Cadillac pedal car. You can read what Pint4 says about his pedal car. You can read my replies to him. I stayed in touch with him for 15 years via email asking if he was ready to sell his car. Each year we would exchange emails wishing each other our best but staying in touch. He shared photos of one of his real car restorations projects with me. Then after I sent my last email to him, I received no reply. I Googled his name fearing that I would find an obituary and I did. I learned alot more about Bob from his obit. Seemed like a great guy and great auto enthusiast.  A year later his widow agreed to sell me the car. What started as a simple reply to a post on this site, turned into a 15 year dialogue and ultimately closure for his widow. I'm the steward now of Bob's American National 1926 Cadillac Pedal Car now. 

IMG_5812.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1