AACA Museum Tucker Collection

If you AACA members on here will look on page 31 of the July-August issue of ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE magazine, you will find a half page advertisement for the "Tucker Collection."

For those of you who have joined AACA in recent years, you may not realize that this is the same Tucker collection that was announced to be the centerpiece of the Museum facility back in the creation and early fund raising stages of the project. Well, it didn't turn out that way.

I find this ad disturbing because nowhere does it mention the AACA Museum, or the fact that this collection is supposedly part of the Museum. It just says <span style="font-weight: bold">Tucker Collection</span> with a map of how to find the warehouse where the collection is stored.

Since the warehouse is at least 100 miles from the Museum site and can only be visited by appointment and in small groups, it really isn't part of the AACA Museum, now is it. frown.gif

Howard Scotland

Howard,

I take it that you have never been to Mr. Cammack's facility in Alexandria. It is truly a remarkable collection of Tucker cars and memorabilia. But the most remarkable feature is Mr. Cammack's extensive knowledge of the entire Tucker enterprise. In my view, while he is still living, it would be close to criminal to remove these Tucker artifacts from his personal venue. The AACA Museum is fortunate to be selected to receive this awesome collection, even if it takes many years to come to fulfillment. And hopefully, someone will make the effort to record Mr. Cammack's comments so that some of his knowledge might be preserved as well.

jnp

Since there was a Cammack wing built for housing these vehicles I wonder if the AACA really had a date as to when they were to receive the collection? Since there are 3 Tuckers why can't one be shaken loose for the museum? At least throw us a bone like a sign or two or some Tucker luggage, etc.

Guest leadfoot

Howard, that same Tucker Collection ad has been in the Antique Automobile for several years. Back in November 2001 John Packard and several members of the Chesapeake Region visited the Tucker Collection on one of the appointment only tours. The experience was truly exceptional based on the amount of time and effort that Mr. Cammack expended in making our visit a learning experience.

When I asked him about the actual transfer date to the AACA Museum for the Tuckers and the historical material, Cammack indicated that it will be "sometime in the future". Seems to me that there was a serious disconnect between the Museum's and Cammack's expectations regarding the transfer. confused.gif

Ron ~ In the beginning when the then leadership of the proposed Museum was going around soliciting the big bucks, the story was that the Tucker Collection was going to be the centerpiece of the AACA Museum. That was one of the factors, along with stupidity, that caused me to make the major contribution that I did.

Even worse, since my donation was made in the form of a challenge to others to match my donation, I led others into parting with their hard earned money. For that I am truly sorry. frown.gif I think that most of them believed as I did that the Tucker Collection would be the centerpiece and a major draw for the museum.

Now, as to the Cammack family holding on to the collection in Virginia, they have my highest admiration for being astute enough not to put the collection at risk until a point in time where there is no other choice.

However, it would be nice if somewhere in the advertisement the name of the AACA Museum were mentioned, even if it were just in small print at the bottom.

hvs

Jack,

The three Tuckers that Mr. Cammack has are #1001, #1022, and #1026. I'll have to dig out my photo file to see if one was chartruese. I remember that one was maroon, another bronze; but don't recall the color of the third. I probably have a picture of it somewhere.

I believe the funding of the Cammack wing was provided by the Cammack family. The museum currently rotates exhibits in that area. If you can arrange a trip to Alexandria I would encourage anyone with a genuine interest in Tuckers to experience David Cammack's tour first hand. You won't be disappointed.

jnp

Howard, I sincerely believe (in my opinion) that there has been a lot of miscommunication regarding this issue. The leadership at the time probably assumed that once the museum was finished they would get the collection and maybe Cammack thought he could donate the vehicles at the time of his choosing? Maybe it was never discussed and things were just assumed between the two parties? We are talking about decisions and thoughts that took place probably 5 years ago now. Can anyone set the record straight?

I'm sure few if any blame you for pulling them into donating needlessly after sorting out all the facts. I for one would like to know if the Cammack Wing was paid for by the Cammack family? Your donation hasn't been wasted it is just taking a little more time to come to fruition then you may have expected. I will be donating my 55 Pontiac to the museum someday however they do know it won't be for a little while yet.

I truly believe that one day the museum will have it all together and hopefully the endowment fund will be large enough to support it. If not it will go the way of many museums without big brothers help. Its only been open a little over a year and I finally saw a sign down by Hershey Park Drive the other day. Seems to be more cars in the parking lot these days as I do drive by it around 3 times a week.

Ron ~ Assumptions and the written word are not, in this case, the same. frown.gif A couple of years ago I procured a copy of the original agreement and the Cammack family is fully within its rights to hold the collection. In fact, I think they are very wise to do so. It is not my place to divulge any of the contents of the agreement, but suffice it to say that had the actual conditions been stated to me instead of wishful thinking [pie in the sky], I would today be the proud owner of a large early brass touring car instead of being the donor of the Museum Directors boardroom, to the tune of a few $$$.

What the Museum needs to assure its survival is a large endowment and an angel. No angel has come forward as yet and little effort is being made to grow the endowmwnt.

What concerns me most is that the AACA itself could possibly be dragged down by the cost of supporting the Museum when all else fails.

Being a realist and facing facts as they truly are, is not always popular. frown.gif

hvs

Howard, Without donors like you who did give substantial $$$ the museum would probably be still on the drawing board. I do what I can by attending the museum banquet each year, gave $ to buy everyone lunch for the wrap up before the opening and even made an small donation just to help out. Small potatoes compared too many.

You are spot on regarding the endowment fund, it needs to grow. I guess the worst case would be that if the museum doesn?t survive it could be made into the AACA headquarters. By the way I saw two TV advertisements last week run locally. I guess we will have to wait and see how the cards play out.

Ron,

If the Museum doesn't survive, I imagine the building along with everything else would go in a bankruptcy sale. Unfortunately, I believe the assets outweigh the debt, but if the operation cannot turn a profit to cover expenses and debt, the assets might be liquidated by the holder of the debt. Of course what the Museum really needs is for an angel to step up to the plate and pay off the debt and then the Museum would only have to cover operating expenses. Then maybe even the endowment might begin to grow.

Regardless, I do not see it as a practical place for AACA Headquarters. We don't need a Taj Mahal for a headquarters. I don't think our members would approve of taking on such a large fixed expense. We are after all a hobby club, not a business.

Of course these are my opinions.

hvs

Howard,

My father was down at the museum in Alexandria a short time ago, and it was mentioned when he was down there that the cars will eventually go to the AACA museum. I knew nothing about the issue until my father mentioned it when he got back. I'd say if he's hearing it down there, that the intentions are still there for the cars to go to the museum. As long as the space allocated for the Tucker display remains so that the display can move when the time comes.

...The biggest thing to everyone's benefit is to ensure that no one thinks that we are badmouthing people over the Tucker collection. The important thing to bear in mind is that we don't appear to be salivating over getting those cars. If we were to be perceived as such, it would be damaging to the museum and to the club. This might be an issue that would be better addressed with the board and not on the forum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would today be the proud owner of a large early brass touring car instead of being the donor of the Museum Directors boardroom, to the tune of a few $$$. </div></div>

Well put Howard. That is a good reason not to support a museum. Buy a car and put it on the road.

Alan

Bad mouthing is not an accurate term in this instance. Presenting the facts as they exist is a more accurate evaluation of what is being said.

As for salivating, there is nothing wrong is seeking that which was bequethed to the Museum a number of years ago. The problem lies in the fact that some of the early leaders of the Museum presented the delivery time as what they wanted it to be instead of stating the terms set down in the legal document bequething the collection to the AACA Museum, Inc.

I have no complaint with the Cammack family. They are doing what they have every legal right to do. However, I do wish that they had seen fit to place one Tucker at the Museum for the Grand Opening. 30-90 days would have been nice and long enough, but that is all water over the dam now.

hvs

Ted ~ I don't know for sure whether they would be a draw or not. I think to some extent they would.

But when you solicit funds based on something being there and it isn't, then that to me is a problem.

hvs

I like Museums! The AACA Museum will have a great opportunity to get people back in to see it again when the Tuckers arrive. However, until then the displays in the Cammack Gallery do change every few months. The Pedal Car display was in this room for Christmas, Then Rolls-Royces, now Mustangs. Thats 3 changes since the new year! The Mustangs leave before Hershey to make room for a 4th new display.

The last time I was to the Sweigert Museum I was told by Mrs. Sweigert: that although they have 2 Tuckers and 2 Duseneburgs, It was "Herbie" the LOVE BUG and his banged up stunt double that brought more people than ever before to see a new "addition" to the collection. So with that said... If you like museums come back and you will find changes at the AACA Museum. Myself, give me a room of rolling art from the 20's and 30's. I don't need the Tuckers to bring me back! Karl

Keep it behind closed doors in the Board Room and nothing will ever happen.

It is the light of day that wakes people up and starts things happening. You don't see any of the prople who passed on erroneous information coming on here and defending their actions do you.

The only people I should be royally upsetting are those who misled some of us in the beginning. I will not name names in order to protect the guilty. They know who they are.

The Cammack family had no part in this inaccurate information being used in the early fund solicitation. Their written agreement is completely fair, reasonable, open and above board and was reviewed by AACA's legal counsel. How and why the qouting of the terms changed after that is another story.

And to quote Forrest Gump, "And that's all I have to say about that."

hvs

SAL

Since general membership carriers arent Privy to some Musuem areas, you probably arent aware that Howard & wife Judy names are hanging in the Musuem Board Room. Thats why your funny wasnt funny, interupting a serious topic between several members. Please answer my question. Jack

Jack ~ Now you've gone and let the kitty out of the bag. grin.gif I did not want my name there, but Judy insisted that we accept the offer. I think her exact words were, "Lest they forget." Somehow I doubt that they will forget, although some might like to. smirk.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif Maybe having her name there too softens the blow. smile.gif

Howard