Polish

Terry Bond

Ok-disclaimer-this is not about Poland or any cars made there-it's about that creamy stuff that comes in cans, bottles, tubes, etc that you use with a rag to keep your parts shining like new (hopefully). It's snowing here in Norfolk (a rare instance) and my weekend seems to be restricted to indoor activities - so, it's out in the barn, crank up the heat and polish some of the trail dust off the Model T. That incudes the brass! When I'm done, I'll do some work on the 1912 Triumph motorcycle. That danged nickle plate tarnishes if you look at it the wrong way! Whats the secret to keeping all that brass, nickle, etc looking like new? I've been pretty well pleased with my technique, but theres always room for improvement.

My favorite polish is actually Semichrome. It does a super job on my nickle, doesn't leave any residue, and the results seem to last a long time. For brass, I've stuck with good old fashioned Brasso-thin applications. To clean the chalky residu out of the nooks & crannies I use a soft bristle brush and just wait for the stuff to dry. It seems to all work pretty good.

Lets hear from the rest of you brass-era guys. What do you use and how do you keep it from gumming up everything with the gunky residu that gets left behind in headlamp hinges, latches, etc.

Terry

Terry,

I used to use Brasso on my 1910 Overland. I have switched to Wrights brass polish. It does what I want it to do. Rick Hoover recommended it to me. It is as easy if not easier to use than Brasso, and I am all in favor of easier when it come to brass polishing. wink.gif

Dan

Chalky residue - easy fix and you will scoff, but it works. Take your short bristle brush (I use a souldering metal brush and clip off about 1/4 inch of the bristles) and dab on black wax shoe polish (Kiwi normally) then wipe it off with a clean cloth and the chalky reside is gone. Works on brass and any color of paint.

Guest Randy Berger

For brass try use magic Never-dull wadding polish. It leaves an invisible coating that slows down new tarnish. Wife uses it on our non-lacquered brass bed.

That's not the only thing used on the bed, but that's a different thread. wink.gif

YFAM, Randy Berger

Guest Skyking

Terry, the best polish you will ever use is Southern Shine. Once you use this I guarantee you will never try anything else. It's for aluminum, stainless, brass, copper, gold, silver & silverplate & chrome......it's easy and leaves everything like new. You can buy it from a friend of mine in Daytona, Florida. His e-mail is Novalou77@aol.com trust me, I swear by this!

Nobody polishes as much brass as us Navy guys-and thats where I got to experiment with some of the stuff like never-dull magic wadding, etc. Ive not really come across anything that I said I'd never use again, but some do seem easier to use, produce less crud in the cracks and last a bit longer. I really do like that Semichrome polish for my nickle, and it's outstanding on the brass too, but it's a little on the expensive side. That "Southern Shine" sounds like it's worth a try. I've had some pretty good "Southern shine" over the years, but like Dan says-thats another thread!

Terry

Terry, Semichrome is also my choice for nickle. I hate polishing nickle, to me, it is a biger pain than brass. My favorite brass polish is Tarnite and is cheap and available at Ace hardware stores.

A few months ago, Car Collector did a whole study on polishes. Can't remember wich issue. Tarnite did well in their opinion but others did better. Tarnite is MUCH better than Brasso.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just to set you guys straight, the guy down in Daytona who developed SS came from the north! grin.gifgrin.gif </div></div>

To set the record straight, nobody from Floriduh is really from Floriduh.

Dave -- Oregon grin.gif