electric fuel pump

WillBilly53

could you all give me some advice and info on the electric fuel pumps?

i know there have been a few posts on this subject but i couldn't quite find the info i needed.

also i should say that i plan on driving and enjoying this car and i'm not concerned about winning any shows.

also i plan on installing an electric wiper motor.

so my questions are...

will i still need the original pump? if not how does the fuel line mount to engine?

also someone mentioned that most auto parts stores sell the 12 volt electric fuel pump. is it universal or is there a specific model/make?

thanks!

The bellows type electric pump can be used in conjunction with a stock pump. The stock pump will pull fuel thruogh the electric ,and you may only need the electric in hot situations. I have run electric pumps for years, and they are nice when the car has been sitting for a long time. You can fill the carb and the car starts like it was fired yesterday. Many of the older cars suffer from vapor lock ,and the electric pumps allleviate this problem entirely.

Guest imported_MrEarl

So how should the pump be wired. I have one in my 54 Roadmaster that was installed when I got it and it is wired straight, in other words the switch doesn't have to be on for it to run. I'm always afraid I am going to forget and leave it turned on some day.What will happen in that case??

Guest imported_NikeAjax

I mounted my electric fuel pump to the frame at the hump for the differential, and then wired it to the ignition switch, yeah it's a long piece of wire, but I haven't had any problems. I also removed the old pump, it’s dead weight, and more stuff to clutter up the engine. There is also an electric wiper motor out there that has two speeds, sorry I can't remember the make, I got it from Buick World; this is great because it doesn't slow down when you're speeding up or going up hills. Yeah, my Buick is my everyday driver, and it's scarier than hell when it's raining and you can't see what's in front of you because you want to pass someone, a change of underwear is often needed. Also, might I recommend electronic ignitions if you're not showing the car, gee they're swell and it makes tune-ups a snap! I have an MSD, and it's nice to have that extra power with cheap gas, I don't have any pinging!

You can buy a generic auto fuel pump. Delco makes them, and they are available at local auto stores. You only need a low-pressure unit, not a racing model.

I kept my stock fuel pump. It performs as the primary pump after the electric is used for starting. It provides redundancy to the system. If you buy a racing-type high-pressure electric unit, the stock pump will not be able to draw through it.

• 8 years later...

Boy do I agree with you Mike. I can drive by 1940 century without an electric pump in 60° weather. Let me try and drive just 20 miles in 75° in that big old Buick would stop dead in the 3rd Lane. I learnt to put the electric fuel pump right under right rear door and go right through the mechanical pump and most people know I drive her everywhere but without that pump on A A A . I recommend a electric fuel pump on all straights just for safety and peace of mind.

Have a great Buick day

FRANK

• 1 month later...

An electric pump to prime my car on cold mornings/hot starts was very useful.

Links below have description of my car, plus lots of other folk and all sorts of cars and configurations.

http://forums.aaca.org/f162/1950-electric-fuel-pump-question-309558.html#post997639

http://forums.aaca.org/f120/electric-fuel-pump-177403.html

http://forums.aaca.org/f120/6v-electric-fuel-pump-178548.html

Mike M

buick 1950 for sale roadmaster super special australia

Guest RonJar

My 38 Century, converted to 12 volts, has a low pressure electric pump, 2 to 4 psi, which I mounted on the crossmember right in front of the fuel tank with a filter between the tank and pump. I wired it, with a fuse, to the ignition side of the key switch, so as soon as I turn the key to "ON", the pump comes on and when I turn the engine off, of course the pump stops. The windshield wipers are two speed electric so vacuum for the wipers is not an issue. The whole thing is very reliable.

RonJ

Mike,

I installed a 6 volt low pressure electric pump on my '40 LTD the day I brought her home from Denver. located the pump on a cross member just in front of the gas tank, with a BIG clear plastic filter between the pump and tank. Electrics like to push gas. They don't like to pull gas. I put a toggle switch under the dash, and wired it straight to the battery (with a fuse in the line). She sits all week and it sure helps prime the system, so as not to grind on the starter. Once she fires, I turn off the pump. That is until I have to climb a hill.

Up here @ 8500ft we have no air, and it gets hot (just like Austin). With only 10% corn juice available here and long hard pulls in every direction, "vapor lock" is a way of life.

Mike in Colorado

Thanks Mike,

I run electric pumps on all of my cars, I just didn't know if you were running it in conjunction with your original pump. The reason I asked is that my fuel pump was slobbering so badly after the trip home from the Nationals this year, that I decided to pull it. I haven't tried going highway speed yet running ONLY the electric.

When I re-built my 1929 all I ran was the stock diaphram type pump. Had all sorts of issues with vapour lock. Installed electric pump in conjunction with stock unit and to prime after sitting for long periods and to blow vapour lock through at any sign of it ( gets hot here Down Under ) Simply THE BEST thing I ever did to that car and I would

advise owners of any Buick driven in hot weather to instal one. Take it off for when you want to win trophies then put it back on.

When I re-built my 1929 all I ran was the stock diaphram type pump. Had all sorts of issues with vapour lock. Installed electric pump in conjunction with stock unit and to prime after sitting for long periods and to blow vapour lock through at any sign of it ( gets hot here Down Under ) Simply THE BEST thing I ever did to that car and I would

advise owners of any Buick driven in hot weather to instal one. Take it off for when you want to win trophies then put it back on.

Wow, this is an old thread. Ken, does Irene still have the electric fuel pump set up the same way it did when I had it, with the toggle switch? How is my ex doing by the way.

The pump is still there and controlled by the switch. But I re-built the mechanical pump and use it for running. The electric is used for priming, same as the '29.

Irene is running excellent. Developed an exhaust manifold gasket leak. I'm loathe to take off the manifolds for fear of shearing bolts. I'll have to figure out a way of plugging the area with Devcon or similar liquid metal.

You know Ken, in pulling quite a few manifolds off parts cars, I've never had any problem with the bolts, they generally break loose without much effort. Well I take that back. I had one bolt that wouldn't break loose after tapping on the wrench with a hammer a little. I used a small Makita cordless impact driver that I knew didn't have enough power to shear off the bolt just to put some vibration on it. Applied torque both ways, forward and backward. After that it broke loose with hardly any pressure at all. Again this is on parts cars, I'm sure if I were doing it on a nice and running car, they would all probably break off.