DARK BROWN WRINKLE PAINT??

Jolly_John

Hi John

The secret to wrinkle paint is.

Using a color that will wrinkle correctly, any color. and then painting over this color with the correct color top coat. I have done this on several 63 Riv air cleaners, when I was unable to find correct red Wrinkle paint, used a black wrinkle as base and repainted with red, worked great.

Will look for your oil cap today.

Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

• 7 years later...

Here is the info for a tech tip I sent into the 36-38 Division.

After typical strip and paint prep work on my heater, including a primer coat, I purchased a spray can of Krylon Black Wrinkle Finish Paint #3370 and applied it per the directions on the can to achieve the correct wrinkle finish. Next I purchased a spray can of Rust-oleum Satin Dark Brown Paint #241239. I applied several very, very light coats of this brown color over the freshly dried black wrinkle finish. After several coats I had the correct flat brown wrinkle finish and I was very pleased with the end result looking like the correct original finish when comparing it to my unrestored radio casing. I purchased the cans at the local home improvement store and it was very simple to achieve.

From my limited experiences with black wrinkle paint (for a 1970 air cleaner which is similar to Brian's '69 vehicle in his list, with dual snorkles), you might NOT get the correct degree of "wrinkle" the first time. Therefore, getting a consistent first coat is highly desireable. Of course, you'll not know how it will turn out until it dries. If it doesn't, sometimes you can selectively apply more paint to the "smooth" area . . . or strip it all off and start over again. NOT a very exact science, as it appeared to me.

Also, in the case of factory wrinkle-finish air cleaners (at least the non-GM ones I've been involved with) . . . it appears that as the paint ages, the degree of "wrinkle" seemes to decrease. Therefore, the fresh "thick" coast of wrinkle paint will have more wrinkle in it. In the specific case of top-coating with a different color, the additional build thickness might soften the wrinkle a little. As Brian mentioned, THIN COATS so you get good coverage without too much build thickness.

Seems that what it takes to make wrinkle paint is one additional "additive" to the basic paint mix, which causes the wrinkles to happen as the paint dries. Seems like that should be duplicatable at a paint supplier which might have access to some of the older paint formulas for these earlier "muscle car era" wrinkle paint engine parts.

Just some thoughts and observations . . .

NTX5467

When I was getting ready to do my adventure into wrinkle paint air cleaners, some had mentioned that they did bake theirs in the oven. I suspect that would be the LAST thing to bake BEFORE the new oven arrived. Kind of like washing all of your greasy shop rags as the "last wash" before the new washing machine was delivered.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• 2 years later...

Brian...

I was pleased to see your comments regarding dark brown wrinkle paint. I have a '37 S.40 and have scoured the old Torque Tube magazines for help. Unfortunately, the 2 references I came across were from 1985; the business mentioned are either out of business or no longer manufacture the paint.

Thanks again.

Bob Rodriguez/Bobby Rodd

Brian...

I was pleased to see your comments regarding dark brown wrinkle paint. I have a '37 S.40 and have scoured the old Torque Tube magazines for help. Unfortunately, the 2 references I came across were from 1985; the business mentioned are either out of business or no longer manufacture the paint.

Thanks again.

Bob Rodriguez/Bobby Rodd

Glad to help!!

Hi, Ed. The hammer-tone finishes are quite different looking (and feeling) than the wrinkle paints. But, it is neat to see all the new hammer-tone colors currently available, isn't it?. For years, it seemed like the only hammer-tone color we could buy was silver or gray. John

Got you, Mike. Anytime we clean something up, and apply some fresh paint, the ol' baby even seems to run better, doesn't it? I hope all is going well with your '40 Limited. It seems like you've done a good job of constantly taking care of that "to do" list for your car. Sometimes, I lose steam on one car, and shift to working on another. That's probably not the smartest way to handle things....as my wife has reminded me, any number of times. John