New to AACA

chill09191959

Good day everyone.  Just wanted to introduce myself as I am new to AACA.  I always dreamed of owning a 20's -30's era car but never had the room for storage.  I now live in Sevierville, TN and wife surprised me with a 2400' outbuilding a couple of years ago for my birthday.  Then, the following year, she surprised me when she said "why don't you buy it' when I was drooling over a 1926 Chrysler Imperial E-80 Opera Sedan which was visiting the Pigeon Forge Shades of the Past Car Show.  An hour later I was getting high fives, congratulations and condolences all at the same time.  (See attached pictures.)

For the last 18 months I have been busy working on the Imperial to make it road worthy.  After all, the seller was using only the hand/parking brake during the test drive.  Take a look at the pictures of the wheel cylinder and you will understand why.  Of course I had to get a wheel puller fabricated to get the rear wheels off.  But, so far I have rebuilt the wheel cylinders, master cylinder and replaced the brake lines.  Adjusting the banjo brakes was a new experience for me but dad had taught me well on mom's '66 Fury II.  I also got it all lubed up and tuned up best I could.  Adjusting points was always a challenge for me but dad was patient and wanted me to learn.  Boy am I glad he did.  I guess that I got the bug from him.

So I have always enjoyed attending local car shows and swap meets but I had never attended a biggie until last week.  I popped my cherry at Hershey!  The week before the show, my wife and I took the old Allegro Bus to visit the Auburn and Gilmore Museums.  All I can say is WOW!  They certainly got the juices flowing and I was in awe when we arrived at Chocolate Field the first day of Hershey.  I met and talked to soo many nice people that just wanted to share and help me learn.  I joined AACA while there and signed up for a online account to participate in the forums.  Last night I stayed up late to make a Want to Buy (WTB) post on the Chrysler Forum.  I even got a reply at 3AM from another member looking to try to help me locate some bling that is missing from my E-80.

Well I am going to say 'signing off' for now but I certainly look forward to picking everyone's brain so I can learn, learn, learn.  But before I do, I want to Thank God for all of my many Blessings.  For without Him, non of this would have been possible.

Until next time, keep 'em between the ditches.....

God Bless,

Chill091959

20220917_174108.jpg

20220917_175336.jpg

20220917_174210.jpg

20220917_174128.jpg

20220917_174415_02.jpg

20220917_174143.jpg

20230515_151033.jpg

20230702_201825.jpg

• Like 17

Welcome to the club and welcome to the forums.  It's great that you got to see Hershey and the museums.  I have been doing this for years and enjoy it so much.  The guys on the forums are very knowledgeable and helpful.  But please be careful as sometimes scammers are on here selling parts.  That is a very nice car you have there. Enjoy!

44 minutes ago, chill09191959 said:

I met and talked to soo many nice people that just wanted to share and help me learn.... 

I want to Thank God for all of my many Blessings.  For without Him, non of this would have been possible.

You'll find many nice people here on

the forum, too--and helpfulness, and

lots of knowledge to share.  Congratulations

on your Imperial.  I have a 1961 Imperial, 

quite far removed date-wise from yours.

You have the fine attitude that will enable

you to enjoy the hobby (and life) fully!

Congratulations and welcome to the AACA, forum and hobby. You have had a great start beginning with the lessons from your dad, a very nice initial car, visits to 2 outstanding museums and you have already experienced Hershey. To top it off you are very lucky to have a fantastic wife who obviously supports your passion for old cars. You will learn a lot here. Ask lots of questions, contribute to the discussions and of course share photos of work on your car or even better when you take it out for a ride which I hope is often 

45 minutes ago, 63 Starfire said:

But please be careful as sometimes scammers are on here selling parts.  

That's a good caution, 63 Starfire, to

beware of scammers.  I think it's more

common for them to reply to "Wanted" ads,

claiming to have just what a hobbyist is

looking for.  So everyone should be watchful,

particularly if someone responding to a want-ad

has few postings.

If someone claims to have a part, ask for pictures--

and very specific ones which he's unlikely to be

able to copy from the internet.  Have him lay the

part on a current car magazine, for instance.

And if you're in doubt, ask people in the "General

Discussion" category about the responder and

his response.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Hello Chill and congratulations, looks like a pretty nice car. It also sounds like you enjoy working on it as much as driving and that is a big plus in this hobby. Plenty of knowledgeable folks here when you need help. 

Chill, Welcome.  That is a great car, and happy you are getting it on the road.  ACD museum and Gilmore will certainly prime the pump for getting excited about the hobby.  I'm betting within a year, you'll be getting a second example........it is contagious.  And that great wife of yours bought you a 2400 square foot building????  Guys here on the forum will likely be inquiring if she has any single sisters....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, John Bloom said:

And that great wife of yours bought you a 2400 square foot building????  Guys here on the forum will likely be inquiring if she has any single sisters....

This

Thanks for all of the encouraging words and no her sister is married......  BTW, did I tell you that 10 years ago she allowed me to dig a 1 acre pond and stock it?  But in all fairness, I spoil her too.   AND YES, I know that I have a one in a billion!

Chill091959

• Like 1