1959 Bianchina - need help understanding the manual in ITALIAN :)

Cheri

My husband recently bought me this cutie for my birthday, what a sweetheart! However the owners manual is in Italian, not much help.  I would love some help trying to see what the levers are for, and the dashboard switches. Please help me..

IMG_1757.jpeg

IMG_1768.jpeg

• Like 4

Too long ago! :lol:

This might be close. The two stalks on the steering column are signal lights and headlights. This is a pretty standard Italian setup. The one closest to you should be signal lights, and should work about like any other car. The farther away one from you controls the lights and maybe some other stuff. Up/down on the lever is high beam/low beam, and to turn them on you *probably* twist the stalk. Very carefully try to turn it anticlockwise (rotate away from you) and see what happens. If I'm right, then probably the first click is parking lights and the second is headlights. Then, up and down (like signalling) for high beam and low beam. Turn it back towards you to shut off. On any Italian car of that age there will be a green light on the dash somewhere to show you that you have some lights on. This can be the parking lights or the headlights. There should additionally be a red light to indicate high beam.

Try pushing on the center emblem in the steering wheel for the horn. If it's not there, it is probably in the headlight control stalk somehow. *Carefully* try pushing the end of the headlight stock toward the center of the steering column. Very light touch in case I'm wrong! it should be super easy. It might also honk by pulling toward you *very carefully*. I might be wrong. Don't break it.... If it is meant to move it will be super easy.

There are probably two levers between the seats. One is probably a choke, and the other might be heat? Heat comes up the center tunnel from the engine in the back. There has to be a control somewhere. Also some very old Fiats had a starter that needed to be engaged manually. It could be that. If there is no spring loaded second position on the key to start (like a modern car) then probably one of those levers engages the starter. Any remaining dash switches are probably stuff like heater fan and wipers. Try them and see.

Welcome to the forum!

EDIT: If the control stalks are little chrome rods with knobs, they may work like i said above, on the other hand if they look like this picture below, there will probably not be any "twist" or "push" functions. Even then you can expect the close one to be signals, and the long one to control the headlights somehow.

fiat-500-nuovo-bianchina-blinkerschalter

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to 1959 Bianchina - need help understanding the manual in ITALIAN :)

30 years ago I worked with a guy who had one of these.  We worked midnight shift,  one night as he was driving in to the plant  around 10:30 PM. in late November he stopped to pick up a hitch hiker.  It was a cold rain/sleet mix evening.   The hitch hiker would not get in. 

• Haha 1

On 9/30/2024 at 4:34 PM, Cheri said:

,,,the owners manual is in Italian, not much help.

Make reservations at a good Italian restaurant, order the specialty of the house, find the owner or the waiter, or buss-boy who has a heavy Italian accent, tip him heavily, show him your manual,  and then ask him all the questions you have about your car. You may make a new friend for life - and get a recommendation to a good Italian mechanic.

Make sure to drive your Bianchina to the restaurant and park it in a prominent space by the door.

Buon appetito E buona fortuna.

Edited by Reynard (see edit history)
  • Like 4