1953 Super with Roadmaster fenders ??

Ken Y

Im interested in buying a 1953 Buick Super . All Supers for 53 that I’ve seen have only 3 portals .  This one has 4,  normally found on a Roadmaster . I know that in 55 the new Century was given 4 portals which meant it had the bigger 322 nailhead . Nowhere can I find that this was the case for a 1953 Super . 

18 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Special, Super, and Century used the B body shared with Olds. Roadmaster used the C body shared with Cadillac.

In other words body parts from a Roadmaster will not fit the other models.

That's not correct for the hardtop. Super and Roadmaster had the same body. The newly intruduced V8 in the  Super and Roadmaster series in '53 had the same size, the Roady of course more juice. But the need for a longer hood was gone. 

Edited by Hans1965 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 3

21 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

I believe , in 1953,  the Super and Roadmaster were the same body.  Perhaps front sheet metal [clip] from a Roadmaster  replaced a damaged Super?

Ben

Yup Ben, you're right.  Same part number for the front fenders in '53 for both series 50 and 70:

53front fender.jpg

• Thanks 2

On 9/21/2024 at 1:02 PM, Rusty_OToole said:

Special, Super, and Century used the B body shared with Olds. Roadmaster used the C body shared with Cadillac.

In other words body parts from a Roadmaster will not fit the other models.

'51-2-3 Special/Century are not the same body as Super.

Ben

P.S.     

Actually,  I have goofed!   THERE WAS NO CENTURY in 1951-1953.

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Pete O said:

Yup Ben, you're right.  Same part number for the front fenders in '53 for both series 50 and 70:

Well, that is the lower fender. If the upper fender was the same part Super to Roadmaster, then the number of pre-punched holes would be the same. 😉

What is a lower fender anyway?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Well, that is the lower fender. If the upper fender was the same part Super to Roadmaster, then the number of pre-punched holes would be the same. 😉

What is a lower fender anyway?

This is just an example of some of the weird nomenclature GM used in naming its parts.  There is no Upper part listed.  This may go back to a time when the 'Panel, Front Fender' was a two piece Upper and Lower contraption, and when it became a single piece, GM just kept the Upper description in the parts manual.

Oh, GM nomenclature is all over the map in the parts books!🤣🤣🤣

But, The Super fender has three portholes and the Roadmaster has four. Lucky in these years there is no "pooch", just flat surface that can be drilled/cut for the Roadmaster application. But, you know the assembly line did NOT (have time to) drill for the Roadmasters, that must have been different parts back in 1953. 🤔🚗🚓

• Thanks 1