1936 Buick Business coupe - $49,500

Lot of money, but it does look nice...not sure about the color. Middle of no-where. (more pics in ad)

https://yakima.craigslist.org/cto/d/naches-1936-buick-business-coupe/7776948851.html

Beautiful all original steel car, with a full restoration. Has wood grain dash. Labaron Bonnie cloth interior, dual side mounts, all chrome redone, dual carberators, Air conditioning and much more. Has always been garaged. This car is a multiple best of show winner and many 1st places as well. Have receipts on the build . Color is black pirate pearl.

Email:  0a79da52df0c3cf4889fa1db1cbc30ba@sale.craigslist.org

1936 Buick Business coupe 100n0n_7Ky69Xv94Gz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00S0S_k82eL3WtHVJ_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00T0T_hcdRfshXAAl_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00q0q_2NGRPCk2YuN_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

WOW nice car!  The seller want $49,500 and it might get close to that, but let's remember it's a business coupe and not a Century.  I don't like trophy winning restored car because I would be hesitant to drive them.

2 hours ago, deac said:

I don't like trophy winning restored car because I would be hesitant to drive them.

It may be that the shows involved were put on by a local church or scout troop. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Personally, I find the use of the words "original" and  "restoration" inconsistent with the later engine and addition of air conditioning in a 1936 Buick. Not sure what they did about the original body wood, since it is supposed to be "all steel". It might be fun to own, but the lack of specifics in the description and the price would both scare me away.

• Like 1

It could be that a lot of folks still believe GM's somewhat misleading advertising of the era. All 1936 Fisher bodies are wood bodies. Most (probably all?) have an all steel one piece "turret top". A coupe would have less wood, but it's still wood. Some Chevrolet bodies in 1936 have a bit less wood than the rest, but they're still wood. All steel FIsher bodies came in 1937 on some models and 1938 on the rest. The doors would be all wood on this model, unless they have been modified.

Contrast this with Chrysler, who did have all steel bodies in 1936, and were advertising by driving a Plymouth around with a WW1 tank strapped to the roof. Chrysler's all steel bodies still had a roof insert. Take your pick.

Probably either the body was modified, or more likely the current owner is not the restorer and just doesn't know.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 3

No one has mentioned that: "Color is black pirate pearl." a color no one ever saw in 1936.  Two-stage paint visually renders so much differently than the single-stage, looks so out of place for a car of this era, unless it's a modified.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's no way a tall person could be comfortable in this car because of the air conditioner which limits legroom.  Also this car is in Washington states which is not necessarily a warm climate so why the AC? Maybe the car came from at hotter climate and possibly the previous owner had the AC installed.  Whatever the case I don't like it.  Secondly the dual carb setup; that wasn't offered in 36.  I know this is little to go on, but I suspect this is a 36 engine because there is no hole in the valve cover for the PCV hose.  Also I don't remember the 41 248ci valve cover having ribs.  Never been a fan of the dual side mounts on a 40 series car because there's just too much going on!  Besides the extra inches in sheet metal for the big motor makes a difference!

Edited by deac (see edit history)

That one is complicated. Washington state has a split personality. East of the Cascades is completely different than West. Hot summers and cold winters. 100+F happens persistently in the summer, and in the winter you had better have enough antifreeze. The Washington State climate everyone is familiar with nationally occurs west of the Cascade Mountains. Yakima and Naches are in the dry hot/cold east.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 3