Better than riding the bus - $995 (Spokane WA) '91 Chevy Caprice

Running cars under two  thousand dollars don't really exist anymore in my area. I wonder how bad this really is. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leif in Calif said:

Running cars under two  thousand dollars don't really exist anymore in my area. I wonder how bad this really is. 

well I mean the interior looks rough so I'm sure it's packing some lovely smells. The body looks like it's a car version of Frankenstein's monster. I'd hate to see what the frame looks like.

Can’t drive a car painted black and white like that in California.

When cop cars are being junked agencies will spray the doors black before they are disposed of.  

There are some restored police cars and if they are authentic and the owners are only displaying them in shows or parades officers tend to look the other way. 
But take it out late at night to get a pizza? You will be stopped and the car will likely be towed.  

If it were within reasonable distance I would jump on it,

knowing how solid and dependable these really are.

A re-po yard interior and maybe a quickie respray, and then fix the A/C, and good to go.

200K miles is just a good start on these "Police Special" small block Chevys.

There is a damn good reason so many departments used them for as long as they were produced.

My daughter's 1992 Caprice Classic, bought new by a neighbor, was lost to Hurricane Katrina's flooding in 2005.

She and her son now each drive a Tahoe, a 2004 and a 2001, and our son drives a 2006 Yukon while his wife has her '04 Trailblazer, while any of them occasionally borrow my Suburban or Avalanche.

If that is a real 9C-1 optioned Caprice police car it might be a good beater, although the '91 drivetrain was not as good as the later 94-96 versions. A lot of the cop Caprices were auctioned off with mileage of 100,000 to 150,000 miles then painted yellow and became cabs surviving to 300 to 400 thousand miles. They were so popular that the 90s and early 2000s saw lots of aftermarket parts available to keep them going although it might be a challenge now. Best beater I ever owned was a 1995 9C-1 Caprice ex-Texas DPS unmarked cruiser. 

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

I am curious if it really was a police cruiser. Would the engine bay have been red? I would think that real police cars would have been fleet ordered and painted appropriately for the department they were heading to. The interior also looks too upscale. I thought police cars were pretty much smooth vinyl seats (again, not that I have a lot of experience inside of police cars). My guess it was painted that way for shock value. But I kinda agree if the mechanicals arent that bad, a new front seat cover, and a quickie paint job, cant hardly go wrong for less than 1000. 

I have seen a number of old police cruisers in my area, I dont think there is a problem having them on the road as long as they are not marked. Just painted the colour means nothing. Now all of our police vehicles are suv's so it would be hard to confuse with the real thing.

• Like 1

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

• Haha 4