Selling Car to European Buyer

I tried several search queries here, but got back either zero topics or 8,000 topics, so I'll introduce the question anew......

A guy in Belgium is very interested in my '39 Buick.  Modest car, under $10,000.  I had a phone conversation with him and he's ready to send money. 

He is getting a pick-up estimate from the shipper he has used before, and since I am 30 miles from the NY/NJ ports ground transportation won't be an obstacle.

I have asked him for a US previous seller reference.

I can PM his name to any members here who want to know. (talking to you, my European brothers....)

My thought is to talk to my bank about safety and try to set up a new account for the purpose of this transaction.

Any other thoughts?

• Like 1

When do you get paid? When our 39 Packard went overseas it was no different than a local sale.  Like Scrooge said "I don't ship until the cash is in hand". 

The rest is logistics.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JRHaelig said:

I tried several search queries here, but got back either zero topics or 8,000 topics, so I'll introduce the question anew......

A guy in Belgium is very interested in my '39 Buick.  Modest car, under $10,000.  I had a phone conversation with him and he's ready to send money. 

He is getting a pick-up estimate from the shipper he has used before, and since I am 30 miles from the NY/NJ ports ground transportation won't be an obstacle.

I can PM his name to any members here who want to know. (talking to you, my European brothers....)

My thought is to talk to my bank about safety and try to set up a new account for the purpose of this transaction.

Any other thoughts?

You can sent me an E-mail , I'm in Belgium and know how this works.

• Like 3

On 7/23/2024 at 8:49 AM, JRHaelig said:

Any other thoughts?

Talking on the phone is the most

important thing - you are able to

get a sense of who you are dealing

with - if you sense something is

not right you can not waste your

time further.

Bank wire transfer is best for

payment - you know who the

payment is coming from and

other than cash it is the

cheapest and most secure

way to go for Buyer and Seller.

Furnish a written Bill Of Sale

for the actual amount paid

by the Buyer.

Once payment is received

the car is “ sold “ - transfer

title immediately to the

Seller - do not leave it open.

On international sales - the title

may have to go to the shipping

agent at the US Port.

Regarding transport - do not

get involved with it - make the

vehicle available for pick up

with a minimum 24 hour notice.

Have someone present when

the vehicle is loaded to take

a video - that way the condition 

is documented as it leaves.

Good Luck 🍀 

Jim 

Transporting To Travel

Traveling To Tell

Stories From The Road

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Always talk with buyer by phone. Take lots of pictures as it sits at the shipping terminal. I've done it  a number of times from Canada to Sweden. Make sure all your funds are in your account and hire a broker if you are nervous. I never did that, but I did meet the guys I was selling to in person when they were here on a buying trip years ago.

On 7/23/2024 at 11:49 AM, JRHaelig said:

Probably shipping out of Port Elizabeth. Shipping is pretty straight forward. The company I used to ship to Gutenberg was something like E. I. S. or similar. Great people in the office, minimal paperwork.

I think the guy at the warehouse was Tony the Russian. He was never happy but he growled and barked a lot. I sent about 20 cars over to Sweden up until I incorporated another business and didn't want a trail of overseas hobby money. Well worth it and establishing a contact for future. We were doing two cars per container for $3,000 up until 2010.

Yarl Hedlund in Tidaholm was my contact but he passed on about 5 years ago. Drop the name, might do you some good.

PM me if you get the transporter info. I can help.

We sold my wife's Karmann Ghia to a guy in the Netherlands a few years ago. We used a local dealer, Jack Hunt in San Rafael, who handled everything. I know that's no help to you but could be helpful to anyone on the West Coast.

I used to run a company that imported and shipped internationally. 

If you are handling this without a dealer, the contract is governed by Incoterms. These are terms that spell out your responsibility and the buyers regarding all the logistics. The one you want to use is "EXW – Ex Works" it's what we used to call FOB. 

"The seller’s responsibility is to make the goods available for pickup at the warehouse or factory. From that point forward, the buyer assumes responsibility for all costs and risks." 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2024 at 7:45 PM, Trulyvintage said:

Talking on the phone is the most

important thing - you are able to

get a sense of who you are dealing

with - if you sense something is

not right you can not waste your

time further.

Bank wire transfer is best for

payment - you know who the

payment is coming from and

other than cash it is the

cheapest and most secure

way to go for Buyer and Seller.

Furnish a written Bill Of Sale

for the actual amount paid

by the Buyer.

Once payment is received

the car is “ sold “ - transfer

title immediately to the

Seller - do not leave it open.

On international sales - the title

may have to go to the shipping

agent at the US Port.

Regarding transport - do not

get involved with it - make the

vehicle available for pick up

with a minimum 24 hour notice.

Have someone present when

the vehicle is loaded to take

a video - that way the condition 

is documented as it leaves.

Good Luck 🍀 

Jim 

Transporting To Travel

Traveling To Tell

Stories From The Road

Concerns a sale to Belgium.

There is no risk for the seller, only the buyer must trust that the seller will deliver the car in the condition as described or in the photo.

Bank wire transfer is the only way such payment is possible.

Furnish a written Bill Of Sale for the actual amount paid by the buyer : + vin number and details of the car. +signature of the seller.( Check the VIN number on the car and make sure it is clearly legible for the customs people. Check if the vin number on the car is the same as on the title!! , if not the car can't go on transport and stay in the USA )

In Belgium a title is not valid and is only required to register the car and get technical control. 

The tittle must go to the company that does the shipping for the buyer, they need this for customs and checks  the vin number so that the tittle can be signed with an 'export' stamp from custom.

The tittle must then be sent to the recipient of the shipment so that they can clear the car at customs and arrange all the paperwork for import.

Only after all taxes have been paid can the buyer pick up the car from the shipment company.

The shipment company will also provide a certificate for transport as proof that the car can be picked up and there will be no problem with roadside checks.

• Like 1