1951 Chrysler New Yorker 331 V8 Starting Issues

LLeppala

Howdy there. My roommate just got a 51 New Yorker with the 331 in a trade and, we have been able to get it to start momentarily on two occasions. It feels like the starter motor isn't going at the right speed? Battery is showing 6 volts. Once we get it started off a ground tank we are going to take the next steps towards getting the fuel line set up in a not redneck engineered way. We are quite confused and we would really appreciate some ideas from people with more experience than us.  Thank you all and I hope you have good weekends. 

Here is a video of the noise its making. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R4Z_REU4Ms&ab_channel=LeifLeppala

When my starter sounds like that, on my 48 DeSoto, when the battery has gone down to 6 volts, I recharge it and get it up to 6.5 volts.  Check your timing and do a static timing with your distributor and a white line at TDC.

The battery may be a little run down.  These 6 volt systems are really sensitive to dirty connections though.  Make sure the battery cable ends are cleaned bright and hooked up tight to the battery and starter solenoid.

Feel the battery cables and connections after cranking like that.

If you find any hot spots that is probably where the problem is.

From your video, it looks like you have battery cables for a 12 volt system which limits the cranking amps to the starter.  Change your battery cables to "00" gauge which is about as thick as your thumb.  You will see a big improvement in the cranking of this car.

• Like 2

I use group 4 batterys in my Hemi and straight eight Chryslers with BIG HD batttery cables.

Group 2 six volt  batterys IMO are are only good for the 23" and  25" six flat head engines.

Group 1 six volt...won't even use them in a Plymouth or Dodge car. They don't have longevity or cranking power.