1939 Nash Lafayette Roadster - 55k CAD - Ste-Anne-de-Sabrevois, QC, Canada

Posted (edited)

Have to say, this is the first that I've ever seen of this model. Every resource that I have has no idea that this even exists so figured I'd try here.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/833566694773089

Here's the writeup

Nash Lafayette 1939 convertible
Engine rebuilt from new. He's doing very, very well.
It's not perfect. There are always adjustments to be made. Genre: checkups after every major wrinkle.

6 in line of 99 hp 3 speeds + original over drive (VERY RARE) which makes it a good driver on the highway. He does those 95 km\h on the highway with no effort. No shimies.

Switched to 12 Volt $20 radio for change.

2 small seats in the back.
No rust.

Sadly I have sold my place, he will now have to sleep outside.

I will accept $50,000 payable by the end of November
I'll accept $35,000, deliverable in 6 years, when it's rusted out.

Nash Lafayette 1939 convertible
Motor just rebuilted. Very nice driver.
Flat head 6 cilynders, transmission 3 speeds + Over drive (original). Because of the over drive, you can cruse the highway.
Switched to 12 volts
2 very small seats at the back.
No rust

438131464_2097082470658469_8067995857987489561_n.jpg

438163774_1180662083360434_6118515531504117895_n.jpg

438204312_801884148567436_4116273863592593783_n.jpg

438225252_1418767328808527_7632574257822519480_n.jpg

438238182_381801877644583_2901384959868817059_n.jpg

438246100_1141450360402387_8789844399415757702_n.jpg

442707355_487126190366931_1424755196219532387_n.jpg

442993145_3666269853631853_1384040493832715674_n.jpg

443006194_3747588038835968_7650542180983117653_n.jpg

Edited by theconvertibleguy (see edit history)
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, ericmac said:

I like it. Can't tell if it's a column or floor shift. Interesting car for sure.

Looks like there's a floor shift knob directly below the speaker grill.

Agree that it may not have started life as a convertible, but it is a sharp car, whatever it is.

There definitely were roadsters...but I think I agree that the way the top attaches looks "custom". Those wonderful headlights seem to be a one year only feature. In looking this up I found a lot on info about the president of Nash-Kelvinator, George Mason. I thought immediately of the University, but that George Mason was a figure of the American Revolution. This George Mason would be perfect for the part of "industrialist fat cat" in any '40s movie:

MotorCities - Remembering the Great George Walter Mason ... 

9 hours ago, roysboystoys said:

Hudson convertibles were coupes pulled of the line and cut down. Might be the same for Nash?

Very good likelihood how Nash build their convertible coupes, some models and years now reputed to be nearly extinct according to Nash Car Club members.  A convertible coupe is in the list for the 1939 Nash Lafayette so it was a factory offerings.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Very good likelihood how Nash build their convertible coupes, some models and years now reputed to be nearly extinct according to Nash Car Club members.  A convertible coupe is in the list for the 1939 Nash Lafayette so it was a factory offerings.

Many manufacturers in the 30s did this.  Most?   Which is why there are 10 convertible coupes to every coupe now.

5 hours ago, alsancle said:

Many manufacturers in the 30s did this.  Most?   Which is why there are 10 convertible coupes to every coupe now.

A.J.:

The best I can tell from examining unrestored or weathered convertible coupe body shells was the high volume producers did create volume tooling to build those.  The lower cowl and rear quarter sections were shared with coupes, may have had secondary operations after extraneous metal was sheared off.  Of course, all auto bodies had 'body solder' (lead) to smooth the seams.  The volume makes show less evidence of handwork.

Lower volume producers such as Nash, Hudson, Studebaker, Packard, Hupp, Graham, etc. all created their catalogued convertible coupes where a greater degree of hand craftsmanship operations was utilized to convert the coupe stamping into convertibles rather than with tooling.   Their body shells have considerable lead work and some ragged areas where they would normally have been hidden from view.  Labor was cheap relative to tooling, volumes were typically low relative to their mainstream body styles.   Convertibles in general were considered a showroom draw but were barely or unprofitable.  The foray into offering sunroofs in the late 1930's-early 1940's was a marketing effort to possibly wean the public off convertibles which failed to catch on.  

Convertibles were so generally a costly, low or no profit body style that carmakers dropped them to determine if they were worth the continuing effort.  Studebaker dropped them after 1935 except for those 1938-'39 semi-custom convertible sedans contracted from Auburn/Central Manufacturing at Connorsville, IN after Cord production ended.  Chevrolet as well as Dodge/DeSoto/Chrysler offered no production convertible coupes for 1939,  only convertible coupes and convertible sedan on the Plymouth chassis.

The survival rate for coupes had an addition factor that contributed to their attrition rate: early hot rods and stock car racers.  Coupes were the preferred body style because of their lightest weight promising the best performance.  Plus, just as now, coupes had a 'cool' factor not possessed by sedans.  Convertible coupes weren't really consider the best for rods and definitely not for stock cars; no roll over protection.  Coupes were more numerous to begin with but basically got used up in the secondary used car market.

Make an astute observation...get a dissertation...

Steve

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

A.J.:

The best I can tell from examining unrestored or weathered convertible coupe body shells was the high volume producers did create volume tooling to build those.  The lower cowl and rear quarter sections were shared with coupes, may have had secondary operations after extraneous metal was sheared off.  Of course, all auto bodies had 'body solder' (lead) to smooth the seams.  The volume makes show less evidence of handwork.

Lower volume producers such as Nash, Hudson, Studebaker, Packard, Hupp, Graham, etc. all created their catalogued convertible coupes where a greater degree of hand craftsmanship operations was utilized to convert the coupe stamping into convertibles rather than with tooling.   Their body shells have considerable lead work and some ragged areas where they would normally have been hidden from view.  Labor was cheap relative to tooling, volumes were typically low relative to their mainstream body styles.   Convertibles in general were considered a showroom draw but were barely or unprofitable.  The foray into offering sunroofs in the late 1930's-early 1940's was a marketing effort to possibly wean the public off convertibles which failed to catch on.  

Convertibles were so generally a costly, low or no profit body style that carmakers dropped them to determine if they were worth the continuing effort.  Studebaker dropped them after 1935 except for those 1938-'39 semi-custom convertible sedans contracted from Auburn/Central Manufacturing at Connorsville, IN after Cord production ended.  Chevrolet as well as Dodge/DeSoto/Chrysler offered no production convertible coupes for 1939,  only convertible coupes and convertible sedan on the Plymouth chassis.

The survival rate for coupes had an addition factor that contributed to their attrition rate: early hot rods and stock car racers.  Coupes were the preferred body style because of their lightest weight promising the best performance.  Plus, just as now, coupes had a 'cool' factor not possessed by sedans.  Convertible coupes weren't really consider the best for rods and definitely not for stock cars; no roll over protection.  Coupes were more numerous to begin with but basically got used up in the secondary used car market.

Make an astute observation...get a dissertation...

Steve

Steve,   I think you make a good explanation.   When I think of it,  all the instances I thought of were for lower volume manufacturers,  Packard, REO, Auburn, etc.

1 minute ago, alsancle said:

Steve,   I think you make a good explanation.   When I think of it,  all the instances I thought of were for lower volume manufacturers,  Packard, REO, Auburn, etc.

A.J.

Those small makers still had the option to work in that vein, skilled craftsmen, cheap labor relative to the cost of tooling.  Body selection was still expected, sales/marketing wouldn't have wanted to present a limited line, the public would have thought their products were something less without the convertible choice.   Although I can't prove it, I think Studebakers were less well regarded for lack of a convertible.   Even struggling Graham ginned-up a few convertible coupes for 1937...and they needed all the showroom traffic they could generate.  That's also why you have Graham Hollywood convertible coupe you have, it was purely to generate showroom traffic, not that it didn't much good. And of course they had a few convertible coupe bodies to use up...

Steve

• Like 2