Which Factory Parts Manual to get????

I have several Buicks and would like to have a catalog of complete parts illustrations for reference, reassembly, etc.. I have been looking at manuals that cover 1940-1970. My question is do the Body and Chassis Parts manuals have all the illustrations that the Parts Illustrations manuals have? Looking from the flip side, do the Illustration Manuals list all of the part numbers? I am most concerned with acquiring illustrations of each part, but if part numbers were included, the addition would be very welcome. Any advice? 

Thanks for your help,

Dave

I don’t know what year your car is but the Buick parts manuals vary considerably based on year of issue.  Best to find a manual from the year of or the couple of years after your car if you hope to find diagrams specifically for your car.  While later manuals will have parts numbers for your car the diagrams will tend to be for cars in the last year or two before manual issue date and some of the parts numbers will be replacement numbers.  Seems like the most recent manuals (to the car) have all of the parts numbers to the car and later manuals tend to leave some part numbers out for the earlier cars in the advertised range on the cover.  Assuming same print and page size there is no way a 1928 to 1950 manual can be the same thickness as a 1922 to 1936 manual and include every part number from 28 to 36.

• Like 2

It appears to be that the further away the parts manual is,from your vehicle's year of manufacture(YOM), the more gaps you will find. This is presumably the result of some parts being out of stock with no plans to replenish the same. I recommend finding a parts manual which is issued in the year after your vehicle's YOM for the best chance of a complete parts listing.

Also the parts explosion diagrams may not cover each year or assembly. Mostly the diagram is representative of a group number without the YOM part number. But then you look under the group number to find your vehicle's individual part #. In some cases that may not matter. For example, 54,55,56 bumpers. Different each year, different between the Big and small series, and in most cases not stamped with any part #. 

Good luck

• Like 2

I had a Buick master parts book that I picked up somewhere around 1990. I sold it on Ebay sometime in the early 2000s. Other than looking at the exploded diagrams a few times I never found it to have a lot of value. Luckily the new owner thought it did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If you want to join the Automotive History Preservation Society, you will find Buicks mechanical and parts books there for free download.  Seems like membership might cost $20.00 or so/year to get into that part of the website, but well under the cost of paper manuals at a swap meet, IF you have to pay to get there.   Service manuals, road tests, etc. are in there too.  Things being added periodically.  All brands and model years of vehicles.

//autohistorypreservationsociety.org/buick-factory-documents/  is where I found them.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• Thanks 1

On 6/2/2024 at 11:06 PM, JohnD1956 said:

I recommend finding a parts manual which is issued in the year after your vehicle's YOM for the best chance of a complete parts listing.

This. Or even a couple years but never the same year as your year.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 4:40 AM, MrEarl said:

This. Or even a couple years but never the same year as your year.

Agree. These YOM  books are published when the car first enters production.  The car on the first day of production will not have the exact same parts as a car made on the last day of production.   After a few years common service and replacement parts are listed. After say 7-10 years you have a used car and parts start to get dropped from the books.

So a manual published 3-5 years will have most parts and that are up to date and were available to purchase from a dealer.

Edit

This web site can have information. But the search function is not that good.

www.oldcarmanualproject.com/

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1