1957 Pontiac Safari Power Steering Conversion

Rmander45

Why?  Ninety pound ladies drove these all the time in 1957.  What tires are you currently running?  Your best driving tire is the original size bias ply tire.  It will give you the lightest steering available. Just make sure the car is moving a little when you try a slow or no speed turn and you will be fine.  Radial tires don't mix will with non-power steering vehicles.

Posted (edited)

I have offered this suggestion to others before, if they took me up they were happy with the result and had no desire for power steering.

First check over the front end and replace any worn or damaged parts. Have the wheels balanced and checked for straightness. While you are at it put new shock absorbers on all 4 wheels. Now get a front end alignment. If you have radial tires pump them up to 32 PSI.

Now go for a drive. Chances are you will be impressed with how easy it is to steer and how nice it drives and how smooth it rides. Steering will be hard only at a dead stop, if you get moving at all, no matter how slow, the steering is easier.

This will take some work and cost money but not near as much as changing to power steering. It is one of those things no one ever thinks about, that makes a big difference if you drive your car.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Basically there are 2 routes. Find a 57 with power steering, rebuild all the components and install them on your car. 

Second choice is convert it to a modern power box. This is a LOT of work and some engineering so I don't reccomend it unless you are up for a challenge. 

1 hour ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Rmander, please excuse these folks.    Not a ONE even tried to answer the question!   Me, I don't know.  Power steering was available in 1957.  Perhaps all the parts are available.

Ben

I resent that. I gave the best answer I could. It may not be the one he wanted to hear but it is still a good answer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

I resent that. I gave the best answer I could. It may not be the one he wanted to hear but it is still a good answer.

I expect you did!  In MY opinion, the question was not answered.   The answer to the  question " is there a kit for this"  is , probably not,  no,  or if there is one, yes.   Not reasons for not doing the "conversion" at all.

You stated your opinion[  facts?].  I stated MY opinion [facts].

Ben