Pre war Car Parts Support

Hi.

I have been on this forum a while and have appreciated the advice I have gotten as I have helped my dad in tinkering with his 1931 Chrysler Imperial.

The one difficulty has been finding parts for it though.

If I were to purchase my own pre war car, something made in the late 20’s to late 30’s, which makes have the most spare parts support aside from Ford? 

I realize Fords have a lot of support and I may look for a Model A, but are there other makes from the era that also have some support? Plymouth? Chevrolet? 

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Hi Jaoao46, a couple suggestions come to mind, Buicks seem very well supported as are Packards.  When one considers parts availability the cost of a bigger car, a Buick or even a Packard may be somewhat softened by easier parts and advice.  I have seen some great deals on both lately especially in sedans.

I may be biased but having had 2 Junior Packards, I think they are a great representation of a popular car at the time and today and are very well supported.  Parts for the most part are less expensive than on the Sr. Packards, as nice as those are.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 3

What Steve said. I had a 1941 Packard "120" for many many decades great to drive, take your time and ask questions of people who own the specific cars. The 41 Packard was great but after many decades the shift lever at the bottom of the steering column can wear or may need adjustment.  The Buicks you mention are amazing cars, especially the 320 cu in engine. I do not know much about Fords, Lincolns etc so can not comment. I like Chrysler products - 6 cyl. are great as are the 4 cyl Plymouths. Only stating what I have owned or had experience behind the wheel of for some length of time.

the 1931 model CG Chrysler Imperial can have issues with transmission gears, as you mention about getting parts.

ASK questions here - even join a club to be able to discuss with the tech guy for the year/model you like.

What Steve and Walt said: Packard and Buick, also Cadillac. The Junior Packards are extremely fun cars, and a lot more agile than the senior models. Sometimes parts for the smaller Packards are harder to obtain, though, since they were shunned for so long. Packard didn't know how to build a cheap car, so the Junior cars have the same build quality as the Senior cars.

• Like 2

Chevrolets are about as well served in the Repo parts market as are Fords. The Filling Station in Oregon is a great supplier for Chevrolet stuff from late 20's thru 1950's, bought a lot from them while restoring my 1931 Chevrolet 2-door sedan (aka coach). They have a large on-line catalogue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joao46 said:

Hi.

I have been on this forum a while and have appreciated the advice I have gotten as I have helped my dad in tinkering with his 1931 Chrysler Imperial.

The one difficulty has been finding parts for it though.

If I were to purchase my own pre war car, something made in the late 20’s to late 30’s, which makes have the most spare parts support aside from Ford? 

I realize Fords have a lot of support and I may look for a Model A, but are there other makes from the era that also have some support? Plymouth? Chevrolet? 

Thanks.

Good afternoon Joao46,

From my admittedly limited experience, parts for my 1931 Buick 96S have been available. I think that many of the companies and individuals that provided parts and service for the cars from the era you're interested in are slowly either closing, or in the case of individuals, sadly, age is taking its's toll. As a comparison, parts for both my MGA and Monte Carlo are simply a click away. As other have noted, this forum provides a wealth of information and I've been fortunate that forum members have provided some parts for my Buick that I couldn't find through the regular vendors. When I was looking for a car of the same vintage as you, I spent a good bit of time looking at clubs, web sites, parts suppliers etc. to narrow the field. Good hunting!

• Like 1

@Joao46 I know you specifically asked about parts but what about these two considerations

1) are you thinking of a restoration project, a lighter project that may just need recommisioning to go back on the road, a decent driver ready to enjoy or a show car?

2) what are your driving goals? A 30 anything will be a different experience than a 39 model.

Having had 2 Model As I can tell you they offer a great prewar experience but your more limited than in a late 30s car.  

I think your answer to these two questions might have a bearing on just what parts you may need as well.  Just some additional thoughts for you on this.

Oh and glad you are interested in the era!!

I’m looking for a car that has already been restored . Not a concours and I’m certainly capable of working on the mechanicals , but I’m not interested in a restoration.

id like to be able to maintain say 60-70 mph so I’d like an overdrive car, and I’ll drive the thing a lot .

I just don’t want to have to go on a long country wide search every time I need parts, like I’ve experienced with dads 31 Imperial for orlem like brakes, water pump, clutch, and other wearables.

I caught the pre war bug with this Chrysler, but my experience has me wanting more parts support.

OK rule out a Model  A given your goals.  A hot engine and od will get you to 60 but imho extended highway travel in an A on todays crowded highways is a bad idea.

go with a late 30s 8 cylinder car.  What you describe in terms of your target car is my sweet spot as well.  Good luck on the hunt!

If you want 70 MPH cruising, I'd go with a 1941 Cadillac with Hydra-Matic. It's a little outside your year range, but it's one of the best-driving cars of the pre-war era and surely one of the best high-speed cruisers. A '40 Packard with overdrive (did they offer it in '39?) and a 356 cubic inch straight-8 will also manage those speeds. Maybe a Cord 810/812, but they're expensive. Set your goals on 60 MPH and your field gets quite a bit broader and you still won't be a rolling roadblock. My '41 Buick Limited doesn't mind 60-65 but 70 feels like it's pushing it a bit too hard. We do a lot of long highway trips in that car without issues at 60 MPH. Traffic can deal with it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Times they are a changing. A few years ago there were several small businesses selling Model A & T parts up here. But not today as there is only one fellow selling A parts in place of the 6 that where and no T parts.

As for T parts even the repro stuff is getting more difficult to have manufactured. Head gaskets were scarce for a while, 1 year for a speedometer cable core and I hear pistons are now hard to come by. Labron Bonny also closed their doors for top quality interiors. 

I waited 2 years for 700/19 tires and told they are only manufacturing when they get enough orders. Plus past December was the last run of Lester tires in that size to be manufactured. So some of the tire sizes for pre war cars are going to keep them of the road possibly.  

So when buying a restored car check if the tires are bad and if they are available. 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)