1929 Chrysler 75 Door hinges

Hi everyone, just sitting here pondering some variations on the Chrysler 75 parts I’ve been gathering and one of those variations is the door hinges.

So on the two Roadster bodies I have they use this type of hinge IMG_5260.jpeg.551ddb03410eec3ecb33bf15494f4870.jpeg 

I kind of thought that was probably the standard hinge on open bodied Chrysler 75’s but…

IMG_5258.jpeg.d54e5e5252b165795abd5150591b227e.jpeg

this is type I have on another open body cowl I have. Now most of the pictures I can find of the hinge area on the net are either of Roadster or dual cowl tourers and they all seem to have the first type. So the question is where the second type only used on  the more base model tourer? Does anyone know? 

Hi Vintageben,

Sorry can’t answer your question but I would guess the answer could be it might depend on who it was that built the body, I believe that the Chryslers were brought into Australia as a rolling chassis with the cowl installed and the rest of the body was build here by various body builders. I would agree with you that the 2 type was probably use on lesser models than the 75, my 1929 Roadster and tourer models 65 have the 2nd type even my Sedan have a similar hinge.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sasha39 said:

Hi Vintageben,

Sorry can’t answer your question but I would guess the answer could be it might depend on who it was that built the body, I believe that the Chryslers were brought into Australia as a rolling chassis with the cowl installed and the rest of the body was build here by various body builders. I would agree with you that the 2 type was probably use on lesser models than the 75, my 1929 Roadster and tourer models 65 have the 2nd type even my Sedan have a similar hinge.

Yeah I knew that the 2nd type were used the 65 model what muddies the water is the 2nd type being on a 75 cowl and I have some 75 tourer doors that have the 2nd type as well. 
I have been told that all 75’s that came to Australia were fully imported but this sort of thing plus contradicting reports make me scratch my head. 

• Like 1

That is odd, I recall seeing a 75 with a Holden badge on it, your 75 cowl doesn’t have any small drill holes at the base of the cowl on the left side, where they normally put the Holden badges.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sasha39 said:

That is odd, I recall seeing a 75 with a Holden badge on it, your 75 cowl doesn’t have any small drill holes at the base of the cowl on the left side, where they normally put the Holden badges.

Yeah no small holes in the bottom of the come except for rust. Just had a study of one of the other cowls that has the that uses the 2nd type of hinge and it’s cowl vents are different as well, so I’m guessing different body builders might have been used. That’s most interesting about a 75 with a Holden body badge, thanks for the input, I have trouble finding too much info on these earlier Chryslers and there were some many changes in production runs which adds to the confusion. Cheers Ben 

IMG_5270.jpeg.3292d5f4741dee83b595399b92d6795e.jpeg

Thanks Narve N and BlueDevil. The second type hinge definitely looks more like what is used on the 65 cowl but they are definitely on 75’s, I’m wondering perhaps local manufactured body or could it be the cheaper 75 pheaton such as this 

IMG_5275.jpeg.0d3b7cab3626b977a234f1d7779ff222.jpeg

here are a couple more photos of one of the cowls IMG_5274.jpeg.5a2785ba0d70d9a6930480310d97db18.jpegIMG_5273.jpeg.9e8d3fd737b4af9ef98fdd68f9b384f1.jpeg 

unfortunately the fedco badge has been removed.

thanks again Ben

Ben,

I noticed that the steering column support in the lower photo has a hole for a fumer. My 72 has that, my 75 does not.

3 minutes ago, BlueDevil said:

Ben,

I noticed that the steering column support in the lower photo has a hole for a fumer. My 72 has that, my 75 does not.

My 75 had it on the steering column drop, too....

post-37352-143138137936.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BlueDevil said:

Ben,

Hmm interesting I will have to check on my other ones and see what they have. Just checked it seem all of mine have the hole for the fumer button 

Edited by Vintageben (see edit history)

All the export Chrysler 75's were built in the US or Canada. Same with the Imperials. 

There were a couple of differences between the body manufacturers, hinge styles and position is just one.

21 hours ago, lozrocks said:

All the export Chrysler 75's were built in the US or Canada. Same with the Imperials. 

There were a couple of differences between the body manufacturers, hinge styles and position is just one.

Thanks good info, going by the photos on the internet it would seem that at least the majority of restored examples of 75 use the first type maybe the was was a predominant manufacturer of bodies for the 75 models, I’m guessing Hayes was one of them but who else?

Cheers Ben

Early Chrysler bodies were built by Fisher and then in late 1925 Chrysler bought the Kercheval body plant to produce their own bodies. I think that even after they bought the Kercheval body plant Chrysler were still buying Fisher bodies.

The first type of hinge below is very similar to the hinges on my mid 1925 Chrysler G70 touring body (built in Detroit USA)and I think it would be fair to assume that these may have been fitted to bodies built by Chrysler.

IMG_5260.jpeg.551ddb03410eec3ecb33bf15494f4870.jpeg

The second type hinge below, were used on both my 1928 series 52 touring and my 1928 series 62 roadster. The 1928 and 1929 Chevrolet's used pretty much identical hinges on their open car bodies. Considering that most of Chev's bodies were built by Fisher, I think it would be fair to assume that Chrysler bodies with this type of hinge may well have been built by Fisher. I stand to be corrected.

IMG_5258.jpeg.d54e5e5252b165795abd5150591b227e.jpeg

On 5/18/2024 at 8:00 AM, Vintageben said:

Thanks good info, going by the photos on the internet it would seem that at least the majority of restored examples of 75 use the first type maybe the was was a predominant manufacturer of bodies for the 75 models, I’m guessing Hayes was one of them but who else?

Cheers Ben

Hayes, Fischer, Budd, Murray and Briggs were all body builders in the late 20's.

I've also seen custom bodies on 75s by Brewster and LeBaron.

Hi everyone and thanks for the responses about the different makers sorry I didn’t get back on here earlier just been snowed under work wise. Some great information there, seems so many small differences I also have notice some have the fedco badge on the right of the dash and some on the left again I guess this depended on the body builder. Thanks again 

Cheers Ben

16 hours ago, ipeeforward said:

Hinges on my 1929 Chrysler 75 with a Locke body are different. Car also has fumer switch.

IMG_0365.jpeg

IMG_0367.jpeg

IMG_0368.jpeg

Interesting stuff looks like yours is a closed car, coupe or sedan? I think they look similar to what’s on my sedan and my coupe it I will have a look

On 5/24/2024 at 1:35 AM, Vintageben said:

Interesting stuff looks like yours is a closed car, coupe or sedan? I think they look similar to what’s on my sedan and my coupe it I will have a look

Hinges on my 1928 model 72

IMG_0074 (1).JPG

IMG_0075.JPG