1966 Oldsmobile Toronado..Plot Thickens

Thanks Steve , Maybe we are the last two Oldsmobile guys but this was interesting.

My first car a 69 olds cutlass for 325 dollars….Thanks Mom!

I was 15 in 1980 when I got to drive a friends 1969 Toronado I loved that design but what a TANK!

Great cars

Gtjoey1314

I don't have insight one way or the other, but the last paragraph of the article tells me that this is really just a plug for the upcoming book. Call me cynical.

• Like 1

Very interesting and while he does get a promo in for his book it is about something very different.  I am always amazed at how fast these designs become reality.  The way my brain works it would take forever to bring something that complex to life.  

This story makes it sound like the styling was the work of a committee. An interesting point, I am used to thinking that a committee is a poor way to create anything good and new, but all mass produced cars are created by committee

At one point in the the first video, Dick uses the term 'conductor' to describe the lead designer.  I think that's a much better analogy than simply a 'design committee'.  Like an orchestra, there are a collection of talented designers and engineers responsible for their specific areas, but ithe conductor is responsible for integrating the individual pieces into a harmonious and cohesive result.  The fact that GM was able to do this three times yielding beautiful, yet unique looking designs for Olds, Buick and Cadillac speaks to the overall strength and ability of the GM design studio at the time.

• Like 2

I have hesitated to make my personal thoughts known as I was not around GM in 1966 but went to work for them in 1970. My years with GM as an employee and dealer allowed me access at times to visit design studios for meetings and to get to know some designers.  I do think that credit should be given where it is due and the likelihood that several people had a hand in one aspect or another of the final product.  Usually there was a conductor, someone who can up with the concept and ended up in charge. This article takes exception to what has been written by some in the past.  I wasn't there so impossible to state anything for fact.

• Like 1

“Dave North should have never let people believe that he was the only one involved in the design of the Toronado. This article is about correcting that negligence“.  

This statement is egotistical and lacks proof.  Documentation.  Any car design is collaborative.  North is credited with initial body design concepts based on artwork created by David North.  Can’t take that away from him. 

I would argue that few people care about the Toronado back story some 58 years or so after its unveiling.  

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I think we all forget one thing in 1966.

The car was built by many or designed by whoever…..

Then Bill Mitchell says Steve Moskowitz gets all the credit!

oOf course Steve wasn’t there but,

It was a different time .

Larry Shinoda Corvette designer at the same time has documented the same stories as well , who I knew personally.

If Bill said HE landed on the moon in 66 then Bill landed on the moon in 66.

If he was unhappy with someone, that was it….

So imho it was a different time….

All I know in 2024 it’s still a cool design

Gtjoey1314

Edited by Gtjoey (see edit history)

22 hours ago, EmTee said:

The fact that GM was able to do this three times yielding beautiful, yet unique looking designs for Olds, Buick and Cadillac speaks to the overall strength and ability of the GM design studio at the time.

And with different engines, each unique to their respective divisions and engineering staff.

Craig

• Like 3

23 hours ago, 8E45E said:

And with different engines...

...and in the case of Buick, a totally different frame, suspension and drive architecture!  ;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EmTee said:

...and in the case of Buick, a totally different frame, suspension and drive architecture!  ;)

Brand Dilution within GM was still a few years away.   If only they were paying attention to British Motor Corporation/British Leyland back then, and what Brand Dilution did to them!!

Craig

• Like 3