unknown tool

I've had this tool for years and no one has come up with a diffinite answer as to what it is or how it was used.   Wood handle about 11 inches long and with an L inside a diamond for a manufacturers logo.

20240507_204738.jpg

20240507_204731.jpg

20240507_204723.jpg

• Like 1

Someone else has one that's a few inches smaller on "reddit". I have no idea how that forum works but I copied the only two relevant comments listed.  As you see, no definitive answer.

My title describes the thing. The tool is 8.5x 2 inches, some have suggested it may be a hide scraper for tanning, possibly a lead ladle, and a bearing removal tool. Unfortunately nothing definitive.

Most likely some form of bearing scraper after researching for a bit

Not that it helps identify this item or the manufacturer's logo in any way, ...but...that symbol we erroneously are calling a diamond is actually a "rhombus". 

...glad to straighten things out for y'all.

20240507_204738.jpg

• Like 1

who knew? 

We always referred to them as equilateral quadrilateral in high school. Our Geometry teacher was a student of ancient Greek and swore Rhombus was derived from the word ῥόμβος which means something that spins. 

Thanks for the education lil Pete

• Like 1

Bottoming Gouge

IMG_0001.jpeg.ae0cfee17029da56fd9e31b85f2f6113.jpeg

This gouge is deigned to clean up the bottom of wooden bowls, that hard to reach center where the grain comes together. Sometimes it is referred to as a "dog-leg" or "swan-neck" gouge. These gouges are forged from 5160 spring steel and the large gouge has an overall length of 15"-16". The blades are 1-3/4" - 2” wide and are approximately a #4 - #5 sweep. The small gouge is about 12” long and the blades vary between 1-1/2” to 1-3/4” wide. The sweep is similar to the large gouge. Handles are turned hardwood with a coper ferrule.

The tight sweep gouge is similar in size to the small, but with a much tighter sweep for small bowls and mid sized kuksas.

VINTAGE JB ADDIS 15/16" FRONT BENT FISHTAIL SPOON GOUGE CHISEL No 28. THIS BEAUTIFUL QUALITY VINTAGE JB ADDIS 15/16" FRONT BENT FISHTAIL SPOON GOUGE CHISEL IS IN VERY GOOD CLEAN CONDITION. IT IS 10 3/16" LONG IN TOTAL.THE WOODEN HANDLE IS IN VERY SOLID CONDITION , IT IS STAMPED AW.  THIS IS A TOP QUALITY TOOL BY A TOP QUALITY MAKER.

Picture 1 of 9

Picture 9 of 9

6 hours ago, Old buicks 2 said:

There is not a sharp surface anywhere on this tool.

Your tool looks very old with a lot of nicks and wear. I've had tools with similar wooden handles, screw drivers, hand files and chisels that have been so well used (abused) that they barely function as intended, but the handle remained in tact. The fact that there are no sharp edges now may be due to countless years of misuse and lack of maintenance. 

Probably there's no one still alive who has actually used it correctly or even remembers what it is for. Looks like a "wall hanger" to me to be displayed by your buggy whip collection.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

There are two threads active now seeking to identify the same type of tool. The other was started by Larry Schramm on February 7 2024. 

I think a good direction to research would be to identify the logo since nobody seems to know what this is yet. 

Edited by Tom Boehm (see edit history)