Odd Experiential Wrench. Petroliana

I got a box full of odd automotive wrenches and tools lately. In that box is this odd Brass Wrench. Looking around the internet I find that is an oil barrel bung wrench. These are still made today in a similar form by Ampco. This one has EXP and Test stamped in it. Anyone have any idea how old it may be?

IMG_6776.JPG

IMG_6778.JPG

IMG_6777.JPG

• Like 2

Nonferrous, no spark. May have been used in a special place around combustible/explosive liquids. Or inside one of those buildings where the walls come off.

• Like 2

The EXP TEST markings probably refer to the department within the organization it was originally used. A prototype for "test" purposes would probably not have the branding on it.

Steve

• Like 1

Good idea, Bernie. That might not be brass but Beryllium Copper. 👍 High dollar tools. 

I got a socket in an auction lot, old T nuts, hold downs and studs was the lot. Weird spring loaded socket. But says Snap On. I look it up. Still current production, oil drum bung socket! A curio to me as I do not buy oil or anything else by the drum. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

My uncle used to have one "almost" the same, except his had "shell" written on it!  He used to drive fuel tankers for shell from the 40s to the 60s and it came from the local shell company drum depo where they used to refill 44 Gal/50 US Gallon drums. 

Edited by Oz Dodge 4 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

No mention of 'EXP TEST'

Your example below.

IMG_6776.JPG

Modern, current version still sold.

71pa9y15VeL._SL1500_.jpg

image.jpeg.1a6bdf9eb0572d41a3f061dac937f960.jpegBungs it fits.

About AMPCO

six catalog covers spanning 75 years from 1930 to 2005

In 1914, inventor August Littman made an exciting discovery: a new bronze metal, hard enough to cut steel. The inventor and a small group of entrepreneurs formed the American Metal Products Company in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA, and achieved recognized leadership in the production of aluminum bronze alloys. 

The American Metal Products Company (later called “AMPCO”) produced the first-ever line of aluminum bronze safety hand tools in 1922. This marked the beginning of AMPCO Safety Tools. The unmatched strength and durability of the aluminum bronze safety tools won quick acceptance in industrial markets.

Today, after nearly 100 years of continuously manufacturing in America, most of our safety tools are manufactured in Garland, Texas. AMPCO Safety Tools continues our commitment to you with the highest quality safety tools and service.

And also 

HISTORY

Early in 1914 a small group of entrepreneurs met to discuss an exciting discovery: “a new bronze hard enough to cut steel.” On June 6th, 1914, the inventor, August Littman joined with other entrepreneurs to form the American Metal Products Company. The product was to be called AMPCO® Bronze, a name derived from the initials of the Company. The trademark selected was a diamond and the alloy was made through a secret process known only to a select few.
Success was slow coming but by the early 1930s AMPCO® had established itself as a recognized leader in the production of aluminium bronze alloys as sand castings, centrifugal castings and forgings. The American Metal Products Company, renamed AMPCO METAL in 1930, had built a reputation as a reliable producer of consistent quality products. World War II brought a heavy demand for the production of copper-based alloys and the value of industrial bronzes was recognized more and more, especially in aircraft engineering. By 1944, AMPCO METAL’s manufacturing staff had increased from 100 to 2,500 people, with every American plane carrying AMPCO METAL parts in its engines, landing gear, propellers or airframe. In the marine environment, AMPCO METAL propellers were produced for landing barges and ships. In fact, alloys from AMPCO METAL were used in most spheres of military operations.
history_pict1.jpg
The years from 1922 to the 70s saw the introduction of innovative products and technologies like non-sparking, non-magnetic Hand Tools, centrifugally cast bronzes, hard bronzes for die applications, nickel aluminium bronzes, high conductivity welding electrodes and new high strength aircraft alloys.

Above history from Ampco website. So from limited knowledge available, likely from 1922 onwards. I have found previously that companies either don't know, have lost that history, or have been resold and lost any information and cannot help. Internet library tool catalogues, or patent number of wrench would hold a more precise date.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Still looking for years this tool may have been initially used, but I found some details in addition to oil related that might lend clues based on the raised alpha-numeric system (see description below). Also, they have quite a history of tool catalogs that might help.

AMPCO Catalog covers 1930 to 2022

1. Non-Sparking, Non-Magnetic, Corrosion-Resistant: The Ampco EW58S-I is made from aluminum bronze, which ensures it won’t create sparks in hazardous environments. Additionally, it is non-magnetic and resistant to corrosion.

2. MRI Environment Compatibility: Independently tested, the Ampco EW58S-I poses no risk in MRI environments using a static magnetic field of 3-Tesla and a maximum spatial gradient magnetic field of 720-Gauss/cm or less. It conforms to ASTM F2503 standards1.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Nothing concrete, but this catalogue c1930, acknowledges the  name change from 'American Metal  products company' to AMPCO.

AMPCO 1930 Catalog cover layout of tools chisels hammer heads crow bar pliers wrenches

But seems AMPCO diamond logo used before this.(And AMPCO was name of the wonder metal.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow. This has resulted in more info than I thought it would have. Thanks folks. Looks like I landed a very cool wrench with a lot of history behind it.

• Like 2

I think it is a suitable addition to your collection, DD.

But I wouldn't ever use it on an old rusted drum to get the bung loose. Some bungs don't move. 

And Dodge Panel should have his 6 super computers online by now, so an answer soon. 

Thanks for showing us, Rod.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am from Kodak country in Rochester, a couple of hundred miles from you. Although commonly known for cameras it is really a chemical company. Lots of areas had non-sparking tool requirements and a lot of those tools wandered away from the plants.

You have those big oil storage farms not far from you in the Greenbush area. There's an explosive spot, might have its origins up there.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Rod P said:

Dodge Panel should have his 6 super computers online by now, so an answer soon. 

only one (arm and computer), but my folks are from Arkansas so I have the uncanny ability to mutate at will ;) 

webp

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

only one (arm and computer), but my folks are from Arkansas so I have the uncanny ability to mutate at will ;) 

We have the six computers online. I recently replied to the extortion letter and allowed the upgrade to fiber. Since the computers are as far away as the garage I requested (through his phone language translator) that all be tested for connectivity. It was interesting that even he noticed the only one that was fully assembled we my wife's. All were running.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2