Unusual early tail lamp

pkhammer

My only purchase at Carlisle this week other than some tires and tubes from Coker! Found on a table with other "junk", this stood out to me. It has a blue, red and clear lens, measures about 7" wide x 4" high. Any idea of application?

103_2326.JPG

103_2327.JPG

103_2328.JPG

• Like 2

My 1927 Paige 6-45 sedan has its original tail lamp (not like this one!), which is a simple however unusual style that I have never found a complete one quite like it at a swap meet. I have seen a few same model Paige cars that have the same tail lamp, and a couple pictures or era advertisements showing it as being the correct lamp. The original Paige tail lamp has a simple two bolt mount on it that exactly fits the spare tire carrier where the tail lamp was originally mounted. What I did find and buy at a swap meet about forty years ago, was an exact match for the lamp itself, but with a universal mounting bracket very similar to what your tail lamp has. I have seen a few other tail lamps with similar universal mounts. Lamp manufacturers of course wanted to increase sales anywhere they could, and it would make sense that they should offer universal replacements of lamps made for other cars.

That is a neat looking lamp! it could make a great after-market touch for many a roaring '20's car!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, TheMoneyPit said:

With the back plate having a universal mounting look I would say it’s one of the aftermarket variates from the 1920’s. Was there any noticeable name in the upper horizontal window??

I cannot make out a name in the upper window. Maybe if I put some light behind it? 

On 4/20/2024 at 12:12 PM, JACK M said:

Only one socket, the rest must be reflectors.

Cool piece.

I just took it apart and there are three bulbs inside that connect to the one center socket. The bluish-green lens has "STOP" cast into the back side. Clear lens is split in two unfortunately.  I put a light behind the top horizontal window and can barely make out a few letters. It has room for about seven letters and I can make out what appears to be "NTIA". The next and last letter might be an L. So possibly _ _ NTIA L? Not making any sense to me.

That type tail lamp was made and offered to automakers with their marque name in the widow. They were also offered through catalog sales and local parts dealers with any of many marque names. Some such lamps used actual glass for that marque window, others used a type of celluloid plastic with the names printed on it. In the photos, that one looks like a typical celluloid, and I would also guess "PONTIAC". A pretty upscale accessory for a low priced car, but people did back then also.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 9:01 PM, wayne sheldon said:

That type tail lamp was made and offered to automakers with their marque name in the widow. They were also offered through catalog sales and local parts dealers with any of many marque names. Some such lamps used actual glass for that marque window, others used a type of celluloid plastic with the names printed on it. In the photos, that one looks like a typical celluloid, and I would also guess "PONTIAC". A pretty upscale accessory for a low priced car, but people did back then also.

I believe that Wayne’s explanation above is correct.

kissel.jpg

My 1919 Kissel 7-Passenger Gibraltar Touring has this same type of tail light with a celluloid lens on top that says “Kissel”. The Kissel Parts Book does not have this tail light listed, so it was definitely added after market. One could easily put the name of any marque into that top lens.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

Thanks for all the info everyone! I think I may attempt to restore this lamp but will need to figure out a way to reproduce that celluloid name panel. Any suggestions? I will also need a replacement clear lens for the busted one. That might be like finding a needle in a haystack! Did I mention I found this on a vendor's $5 table? 😁

Pics of the interior.

103_2335.JPG

103_2336.JPG

103_2337.JPG

• Like 1

PK:

I am dealing with the restoration of one of the mid to late 1920s YANKEE units specified as an accessory for Buicks.

DSC00185.JPG.f91e101f715b4964c7555d5da45618a4.JPG

I had friend do a plastic BUICK lens for the top.  His wife does craft stuff on her "CRICKET". BOB'S Automobila Buick parts used to stock these but a friend bought all he had. He also says he has the correct lens' for the left and right. It may be years before he finds them for me. As it has been years since he said he woud get me one of the BUICK lens.  

What an original looks like.

DSCF7539(3).JPG.a355404452d20ac79f88f32724f3682c.JPG

Edited by dibarlaw (see edit history)
  • Like 2

@dibarlaw Maybe, just maybe I can find something you can use. I have a stash of parts and with 5 minutes of digging found the lenses in the photo below. What size holes do you need to fill? The ribbed one in the upper right hand corner has "SLO" cast in the backside.

103_2342.JPG

• Like 1