Pre-Val for touch up

I've got about a 'x6" area on the side of my good on my 35 Buick that could use another cost of paint.I was thinking of using a pre-val aerosol bottle. Any thoughts on using one? Thanks.

I have used those for many touch ups and a few more than touchups over the years and have been very satisfied with the results.  It is low pressure obviously and you still can get runs if not careful.  Since I learned to mix paint by eye and feel I cannot really suggest mixing strategy but good prep work as always makes the job.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

I have gone to the local auto finisher supply and bought a pint of paint they mix to the factory color.  For additional charge they can put that into aerosol spray cans for you.  The ones I have used all worked well and typically have a nice fan-spray nozzle.

• Like 3

I have purchased paint from these folks and been happy with the accuracy of the color match just using the paint code. Around here suppliers of automotive paint are becoming seriously thin on the ground. NAPA was my major supplier and they stopped selling it years ago. I don’t think any of the other National chains carry it at least here north of Chicago.  The I pad for reasons of its own won’t let me copy and paste the site but a Google search for automotive touch up brings them up first. That is also the company name. 

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

Both responses are good advice. To expand on the post by PlymouthCranbrook, with a Preval be sure to spend the extra time to experiment with different proportions of thinner to get the mix right. If the mix is just a little too thick the spray pattern will be smaller but the chance of runs is much less. I do this with small parts where it is not worth getting out the spray gun. With a larger flat area it probably is better to thin the paint just enough to get the largest spray pattern and no more. Spray some clean thinner just to see the size of the spray pattern. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I have purchased paint from these folks and been happy with the accuracy of the color match just using the paint code. Around here suppliers of automotive paint are becoming seriously thin on the ground. NAPA was my major supplier and they stopped selling it years ago. I don’t think any of the other National chains carry it at least here north of Chicago.  The I pad for reasons of its own won’t let me copy and paste the site but a Google search for automotive touch up brings them up first. That is also the company name. 

Are you  referring to 'Automotive Touch Up' in New Orleans?  I am a happy customer of theirs. They have hundreds of paint codes, I have used them a couple of times and their match was spot on. If its an older car with non stock or new paint I doubt their system would work though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What EmTee says. PreVal sprayers are fine for certain applications but if I could get the properly matched color I would prefer an aerosol can, it's already thinned, it's less messy, it's easier to spray and it would be better coverage-wise if you need to spray a slightly larger area than what the PreVal can handle.

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

Are you  referring to 'Automotive Touch Up' in New Orleans?  I am a happy customer of theirs. They have hundreds of paint codes, I have used them a couple of times and their match was spot on. If its an older car with non stock or new paint I doubt their system would work though. 

I second the  response for "Automotive Touch Up." I stop short of indorsing the company at this time. It seems like the pandemic impacted the company's production and order filling capabilities. The last time I ordered from them the it took months for them to fill the order. What we need is a more recent customer to respond.

These paints are for the most part base/clear. The clear that one uses is very important. The best clear IMO is the aerosol, two part product that the company sells as a companion to their color. I can't recall the maker, but it is available on Amazon and other outlets as well. Proper self protection is a must with this stuff. Make sure you don't skimp on the protection or get lazy!

My own experience has been limited to three 25-30yro. cars and the color match for the original colors was perfect. The company does have quite an extensive archival color bank. But the original color choices do thin out for older cars. 

If you choose to use the aerosol can you need to know that it works best on vertical surfaces. In other words the propellant is more uniform if the can is held upright. It works better if you take the hood and trunk lid off and shoot either in a vertical position. For the top your on your own, just don't let the aerosol can get too low on product before going to a new can-don't ask me how I know!

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Yes, I believe that is where they are located. Every color I ordered from them has been spot on.

• Like 2