1923 Dodge Bros Screen Side wood roof paper patterns and other information needed

I am about ready to embark on building the roof for a 1923 Screen Side. I have purchased a blueprint from the AACA library but now I will need the actual paper patterns for cutting the wood pieces out.  Does anyone here have copies of the actual patterns used for this purpose? I will be in need shortly.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)

The "blueprint" is a good quality hand made item that has lots of layout information but not specific to layout of profile and cutting out. I know how and where to position the ribs and other very valuable information but not profile and contour for cutting. It, the "blue print", refers to actual paper patterns but they didn't come with the "blue print". That said, I reach out to other owners/restorers of screen side trucks to see if someone has patterns I could buy, rent or borrow.

Al

On 4/10/2024 at 1:41 PM, alsfarms said:

The "blueprint" is a good quality hand made item that has lots of layout information but not specific to layout of profile and cutting out. I know how and where to position the ribs and other very valuable information but not profile and contour for cutting. It, the "blue print", refers to actual paper patterns but they didn't come with the "blue print". That said, I reach out to other owners/restorers of screen side trucks to see if someone has patterns I could buy, rent or borrow.

Al

I often wonder how guys did things years ago without the internet. Wouldn't they have just looked for a brochure to see the contour along with the blueprint? I would think that would be enough unless I am misunderstanding other details you may be referring to.

image.png.0538e49b375bcc1b3a967b9c8db13107.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

This talk about Dodge Screen side trucks suggests a thought from me. It is my opinion that Dodge Bros nailed the design of the Screen side perfectly. It may be similar to other "C" can styled trucks, but with a nice box and the full roof.......it is simply charming. Yes, to me, the Screen side rivals the appeal of even a Roadster, which is also high on my list.  One more admission, my Screen side will be used as a fruit peddlers wagon without the typical screens.

Al

Al, it sounds like you don't have much to use to look at? I have a junk roof that was used to look at by the owner of the screenside that just won a Grand National award in AACA. This and the blueprint is what he used and it's perfect. I'm not a wood pecker so I would be hesitant to start too. I like visuals. If you want to make a trip to Hershey you can borrow it, that's why I saved it. It should fit in a full sized pickup bed or trailer. BUT, you will be required to stop at AACA library and look at our collection of literature. And the AACA museum to look at our Station Wagon and kid's truck. They are within a half mile of here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Your boffer is tempting, but not sure if I will make a driving trip to Hershey with my truck. I made my big trip a month ago to Clearfield Pa. to pick up an early dripper American- LaFrance 6 cylinder engine for a 1913 rig. If I come maybe I could make some paper patterns for the cross bows, front header, middle header and back header, as well as the side runners to make sure the top arc is correct and also the bottom front arc in front of the "C" cab panels.

Maybe someone else reading here has "been there, done that" and kept paper patterns.

Al

When I rebuilt the frame on my Moon I bought several sheets of high density foam board.  I then used this material to build a mockup.  I used to do model airplanes and we did it that way.  The advantage of using foam board is if you cut the wrong piece off you can just glue it back using the correct glue.  It is light and easily carried and put in place.  You can also make templates out of Masonite.  Think of it as a canoe or John boat and you will be ok.  You are always welcome to come by and take measurements.

1923dodgescreensidetop.jpeg.906d64967561bb417a69d09af2212293.jpeg

• Like 1

Here is another question about the top cross bows. Are they simply cut out of lumber with the predetermined arc? or are they steam bent to achieve the proper contour. I actually lean towards steam bent of the correct dimension white oak. What are the thoughts? Doug, I am attempting to reach the contact you referenced, I hope for success. I sure wish there was a close screenside for me to see in person....there is not.

Al

8 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Here is another question about the top cross bows. Are they simply cut out of lumber with the predetermined arc? or are they steam bent to achieve the proper contour. I actually lean towards steam bent of the correct dimension white oak. What are the thoughts? Doug, I am attempting to reach the contact you referenced, I hope for success. I sure wish there was a close screenside for me to see in person....there is not.

Al

Just cut.  Where are you?

Posted (edited)

I think I will still cut the cross bows to the proper dimension and then steam bending the contour into them. I wonder why only every other bow has the angle brackets that attach to the side runners? Any ideas?

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)

Al, it seems you are beating a dead horse. Apparently Jan is the only one here with a screenside. That question about brackets could have been engineering , penny pinchers, or just because. I posted that a screenside JUST won a AACA grand national. Look up the results and use your brand new roster to contact that owner. He used this junk roof and the blue print you have to build his. OR look in the roster for other screenside owners. There's an excellent one in California, Myers has one that I'm sure will be at South Dakota and a very original RHD at Meadow Brook Hall. . AACA library MAY have more literature or pictures that answer your questions. There's not a lot of literature for them, I've had my hands on every piece of it. Did you look at the 3600 Budd pictures on the DBC site? I know there are a few there. 

It appears that more Dodge Bros enthusiasts frequent the AACA forums than they do the actual Dodge Bros.Club forums..... sadly. I do really enjoy the Dodge Bros Club magazine. The new editor does a great job with the Dodge Club and the Horseless Carriage Club. Mark sent a note back on the roof patterns. That is good news for me.

Al

It's unfortunate the DBC site doesn't work and no one has been able to fix it. For example you have to be a registered member to use the site to join the club to use the site. Talk about the chicken and the egg. Most conversation not on this forum is on fakebook. I refuse to join that as many others do. I recently counted the first 70 posts there and went through the newest roster. Of the 70 only 10 were members of DBC. The rest were looking for and getting free answers how to fix their car so they could sell them for a profit. AND no one was promoting joining the club.  I agree, Tracy does a very good job with the two magazines and has just taken over another for VMCCA. She's a busy girl. 

Edited by nearchoclatetown (see edit history)

I don't know how Tracy can do what she does and to the good level that she does. She must have a very understanding husband and family! I hope she doesn't burn out. Back on the subject of building the screen side top, what is the best material for the top cover? Is it a good idea to put a thin padding material over the top of the wood structure and under the top material?

Al

42 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

I don't know how Tracy can do what she does and to the good level that she does. She must have a very understanding husband and family! I hope she doesn't burn out. Back on the subject of building the screen side top, what is the best material for the top cover? Is it a good idea to put a thin padding material over the top of the wood structure and under the top material?

Al

I used Hartz clothe which is the same material used for convertibles.  There is no padding used it just lays on the slats.

PXL_20230705_182818446 (1).jpg

PXL_20230808_225925683.jpg

PXL_20230908_130515746 (1).jpg

• Like 2

Jan, Are most of your slats full length? I can't tell from your pictures, do your slats touch each other? Your slats and likely the top appears to be a restored original. How lucky you are! I am having to build the whole thing. I am considering either using solid oak milled to spec. or using a good grade 1/4" Oak plywood. What are your thoughts? Does the Hertz material require periodic water proof treatment to keep the UV damage reduced?

Al

Most of the slats are full length and if  they are not they butt end to end.  The slats do not touch side ways.  Hartz cloth is made for modern convertibles so no special care needed.   The white slats in the picture were replaced slats and I glued and nailed them.   Here are pictures of a removed slat.

PXL_20231020_191451273.jpg

PXL_20240416_162651691.jpg

PXL_20240416_162730654.jpg

PXL_20240416_162701062.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a general question about the differences between a touring cowl and a screen side cowl. Now for the question. I know that the windshield  posts mounting structure, behind the dash and under the top of the cowl, for a proper screen side, hold the windshield posts straight up vertical, whereas the touring car has brackets that lean the windshield posts to the back. How hard is it to remove the windshield posts support brackets from the screen side cowl and install that assembly in a touring car cowl? The reason for this question is that my screen side cowl is very rusty on the bottom and I have a very good, solid touring car cowl to use as a donor. If it is not a huge amount of work, I think I would swap windshield support brackets and use the touring car cowl. Share your thoughts. Pictures to follow.

Al

Here is a picture of my well worn and modified 1923 Screen Side truck.(Note factory position of the fuel tank under the seat). This truck was cut in half so the front half could be used as a powerplant for years at a Gold Mine in central Nevada. Note the serious cancer along the bottom of the cowl. I have a long way to go but I will make it.....

AlIMG_20240426_190626751.jpg.2c015d620e55817df45dd80d6129eaf9.jpg

• alsfarms changed the title to 1923 Dodge Bros Screen Side wood roof paper patterns and other information needed
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a pretty much complete top in pieces for  '26. It was originally on my truck. My Dad started making new pieces for it . By the time I was ready for it, I didn't like the look of the wood he used, so I used it for patterns for a new one. It is mostly there except for the slats. You are welcome to it, but shipping will probably  be an issue. I'm in N.H.

• Like 2

hello and thanks for your response. You are correct, shipping would certainly be an issue. Is your truck a screen side or a closed type truck? Do you have any pictures you could post?

Al