'65 starter Q

RIVNIK

Greetings! Hope you all had a nice Easter weekend. Q: Why does my '65's starter drag after the engine heats up, & what is a possible remedy? It works like new when cold. Thankfully the warm Riv starts after the 2nd or 3rd slow rrrrrrur, but it always gives me a scare. (also a little embarrassing).  thanks.  Drew

I would check to see that your initial timing is set to spec (not to far advanced). That’s often the root cause of a hot starting problem.

I had the same problem on my 63. I had the starter motor rebuilt to high torque specs and never had a problem after. I think it came down to the physical prooerties of expansion with heat. As the wiindings cooled, they contracted and everything works loke it's supposed to.

• Like 1

Actually the most likely problem is your battery is getting weak.......the required cranking

amps to turn the engine over goes up with engine temperature. My GTO always does this when the battery gets older and starts to get weak. When that happens I replace the battery and it always fixes the problem. This has been happening for fifty years on my GTO. 

• Like 2

thank you gents for the quick responses. I will look into each of those & hopefully find a solution to the problem. will let you know how things turn out asap. Drew

Also check the condition of the battery cable connections.  The resistance of an 'iffy' connection will increase with temperature, which increases the voltage drop.

• Like 2

Or buy one of my bolt-in NEW Mini Starters for your Nail.

Problems now solved once & forever.

May even cost less than having yours professionally built to high torque specs.

Tom T.