1938 Buick Sedan

I don't understand why the wheels are covered like it's being painted. (many more bad pics in ad) 

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/d/long-beach-1938-buick/7731967381.html

1938 Buick, OEM, straight 8, 3-speed on the floor, 4-door, suicide doors, chrome wire wheels
Car is located in Long Beach, CA.  Call to make an appointment. $20K Price is negotiable--make offer

(562) 336-6932

1938 Buick 100303_8q7Zo2K7NTB_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg00L0L_fhOu70zxEui_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg00V0V_iOadgVbnVDY_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg00N0N_gHAcDJl6sGT_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg00M0M_aVRIn7Jbjfs_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg00303_2IvxmyQldgN_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

I don't understand why the wheels are covered like it's being painted.

In sunny parts of the country, some people put covers over tires on cars parked outside to keep the UV from prematurely rotting the tires. It does help quite a bit IF the covers aren't too thin or near clear. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

In sunny parts of the country, some people put covers over tires on cars parked outside to keep the UV from prematurely rotting the tires. It does help quite a bit IF the covers aren't too thin or near clear. 

I always thought it was the ozone that wrecked the rubber. I remember a 6th grade science experiment where we took an old pair of Mom's panty hose and put them over a bent up coat hanger in the back yard. In about 2 or 3 weeks they fell apart. I supposed the UV could have been a big part of that as well. I'd run the experiment again now, to see if all the clean air regulations have made a difference, but I don't think the required materials are readily available anymore! I due believe (based on my old Nordic skin) there is more UV now. 

• Like 1

If I just dropped a few thousand$ on wires and wide whites, and my car was stored outside, I'd put covers on them, too, and I live in western Washington. Too much work to keep clean.

Agree they add nothing to the car. I'm guessing the car got sidetracked on its way to becoming a low rider.

With the original wheels and decent tires, it's maybe a $12-15K car. If it runs well and that yard sale in the backseat isn't hiding anything.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

I always thought it was the ozone that wrecked the rubber. I remember a 6th grade science experiment where we took an old pair of Mom's panty hose and put them over a bent up coat hanger in the back yard. In about 2 or 3 weeks they fell apart. I supposed the UV could have been a big part of that as well. I'd run the experiment again now, to see if all the clean air regulations have made a difference, but I don't think the required materials are readily available anymore! I do believe (based on my old Nordic skin) there is more UV now. 

Leif, Both ozone and UV have significant deleterious effects on tires of any age. Which one is more serious depends on many factors, mostly the amount of exposure in a given location. UV levels are mostly from direct sunlight, and can be reduced by any source of shadows, or the farther North or South one is from the equator. Ozone can creep into dark corners and attack even well covered items. For those that aren't aware of it, ozone can be created by many types of chemical or electrical activity, and is a major component in smog. 

Of the two, UV is the better known bogyman to most people, hence why I mentioned it as being people's reason for covering tires.

The US used to demand manufacturing standards for tire composition to withstand significant amounts of both issues. However, in recent decades those standards have been relaxed or not enforced to such a degree that modern tires are now much more susceptible to decay from both causes. Low quality modern tires often can become unsafe in as little as five to seven years, whereas, tires manufactured thirty years ago (in spite of significant aging already!) might actually be safe for another thirty years (A factor not adequately provable?).

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Thanks 3

I've noticed that the newer AG tires don't seem to hold up near as well as the older ones did with cracking showing up years earlier. 

Back in 1984 my brother bought a 1971 C50. It had a 30-foot box van on it. We cut it down to put a 16-foot dump bed on it. I don't know how old the tires were when we bought it but they are still on it today. I just hauled a load of rock last week at 28,600 gross. I have taken it to Les Schwab for tire inspection many times, with a passing grade. Not bragging. I want to be safe.

Jim S

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

The US used to demand manufacturing standards for tire composition to withstand significant amounts of both issues.

Part of the problem is that the chemical mitigation built into the rubber composition requires the tire(s) be regularly 'exercised'.  RVs, trailers and hobby cars, however, generally sit unused for long periods which makes their tires more susceptible to degradation.  Covering the tires on vehicles stored outside can help slow the degradation; at least the UV-related portion.  Yet another reason to drive your classic regularly!  ;)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1