Identify car in 1926 silent movie The Boob.

AzBob

Thanks Wayne.

It certainly had me stumped. They ended up running this car through a fence and then crash into the side of a building. The first thing to go was that wonderful motometer. Seems a shame for such a quality car. Of course back in 1926 it was just another old used car. :(

I love the silent movie era! But yes, they did wreck a lot of great cars in them, especially in the comedies.

In 1926, that Cole would have only been a few years old, but cars aged faster in those days due to rapidly changing technologies and harsh conditions. Filmmakers could often get an abused nice car only a couple years old to destroy in a movie. Not all that different than from some of the you-tube stuff today?

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 11:08 AM, AzBob said:

Thanks Wayne.

It certainly had me stumped. They ended up running this car through a fence and then crash into the side of a building. The first thing to go was that wonderful motometer. Seems a shame for such a quality car. Of course back in 1926 it was just another old used car. :(

Just like today with movie chase scenes. Maybe in 100 years from now people will be complaining about all those beautiful 2020+ cars being destroyed. Oh well, time moves on. (beautiful 2020+ cars?????????????????) haha

• Like 1

There is a lively discussion on the MTFCA Off Topic forum on this car. The headlights are missing the lower "parking lights" or lower light housing on the underside of the headlamps typical for Cole at this time. Is though to be a Series 870 or 871 Roadster. It does have the "golf club door" on the passenger side.

https://www.mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=42172

17 hours ago, AzBob said:

There is a lively discussion on the MTFCA Off Topic forum on this car. The headlights are missing the lower "parking lights" or lower light housing on the underside of the headlamps typical for Cole at this time. Is though to be a Series 870 or 871 Roadster. It does have the "golf club door" on the passenger side.

https://www.mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=42172

I believe this is a 1923 or late 22 model which would make it a 890 actually. See my profile picture for reference it’s my personal 1923 Cole 2 person sport coupe. Amazing you found this I had only ever known about one other movie from around this time that had a Cole in it so I love this very much! Thank you for making my day. Interesting enough jj Cole had actually payed a bunch of money to have a silent film made to advertise the Cole’s specifically it’s lost to time as far as I know. My dad knows more about the story of the film as him and I run the Cole motor car registry. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bens39dodge said:

Interesting, the photo I have in a book published in 1990 shows the badge on a 1919 Aero Eight ( albeit a tourer not a roadster) . At least it confirmed to be a Cole. Thanks!

No problem I’m happy to help. If you are ever curious about more accurate history on the Cole motor car company visit http://colemotorcarregistry.com my father and I built the site after acquiring a vast amount of original Cole literature including saved original factory documents although many were lost do to a flood at the factory in the 80s unfortunately but we acquired all this and so many artifacts from the previous man who ran the Cole motor car club of America. My family is also close with the surviving members of the Cole family. Here’s a photo of a 1920 and the badge it would have had. my family also has a 1919 and it’s the same badge as the 20. Unfortunately a lot of information on Cole is quite inaccurate including many books. One of the biggest car books with miss information on the Cole’s is the standard catalog of American cars 1805-1942. As you can probably tell I’m very passionate about the Cole’s sorry if all this info is unneeded and annoying to you I just love talking about the wonderful Cole automobiles. 

IMG_0243.png

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Cole motor car lover said:

I believe this is a 1923 or late 22 model which would make it a 890 actually. See my profile picture for reference it’s my personal 1923 Cole 2 person sport coupe. Amazing you found this I had only ever known about one other movie from around this time that had a Cole in it so I love this very much! Thank you for making my day. Interesting enough jj Cole had actually payed a bunch of money to have a silent film made to advertise the Cole’s specifically it’s lost to time as far as I know. My dad knows more about the story of the film as him and I run the Cole motor car registry. 

Thank you Cole motor car lover for replying to this thread and clarifying details about this car as well as the link to the registry and other information regarding Cole Motor Car Company. Learning about these lesser known historically significant makes is interesting and fun. :)

As you pointed out, I found the information on Cole in the "Standard Catalog" incomplete and no help in solving the identity of this car.

Below is a drivers side picture from The Boob.

Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 8.38.25 AM.jpg

Edited by AzBob (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 12:42 PM, AzBob said:

Thank you Cole motor car lover for replying to this thread and clarifying details about this car as well as the link to the registry and other information regarding Cole Motor Car Company. Learning about these lesser known historically significant makes is interesting and fun. :)

As you pointed out, I found the information on Cole in the "Standard Catalog" incomplete and no help in solving the identity of this car.

Below is a drivers side picture from The Boob.

Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 8.38.25 AM.jpg

Anytime thank you for sharing this with the forum truly made my day! And I believe you said this had a golf bag door on the passenger side if so that is another give away to me as they added that in 1922 as standard. I’m gonna watch this movie later this week with my fiancé so I’m very excited to see it in the movie and thank you again for sharing as I would have not known of this movie otherwise! I hope you have a blessed rest of your week:)! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cole motor car lover said:

Anytime thank you for sharing this with the forum truly made my day! And I believe you said this had a golf bag door on the passenger side if so that is another give away to me as they added that in 1922 as standard. I’m gonna watch this movie later this week with my fiancé so I’m very excited to see it in the movie and thank you again for sharing as I would have not known of this movie otherwise! I hope you have a blessed rest of your week:)! 

I would like to see the reaction when you tell your fiance' you're going to watch a movie called The Boob. 😉

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations, Cole Motor Car Lover, for keeping the Cole website and the enthusiasm for the brand. This is a very important and dedicated work for the historical preservation these unique cars. 

Tell us more about your impressions about the car in the movie, and also the history behind your dedication and your father’s to Cole, for sure an inspirational story that can motivate many others around the world on the preservation of automotive history.

Thanks again for the great work!

• Like 1