What years of automatic bellhousing will fit a, a318 1957 plymouth fury

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to What years of automatic bellhousing will fit a, a318 1957 plymouth fury

This is complicated. The short answer is either "none" or "the one it came with". There was little interchangeability in those years. There are probably versions of both the Cast Iron Torqueflite and 2-speed Powerflite that could be bolted to the engine, I think. Major changes came every year during those times. It would have to be real close to the same year and model as what is already there, and if it was not exact, there would likely be problems.

The longer answer is that with the bellhousing spacer removed from the block, the bellhousing of any 1962 or later aluminum torqueflite, 727 or 904 (including 998, 999), or the overdrive versions of any of these would PROBABLY bolt to the block, as long as the transmission was one that was originally bolted to a 318 or an "LA" engine of any displacement (no B/RB engines or slant sixes). The bellhousings are not removable from any of these transmissions, they are cast in place. The big problem is the crankshaft. It is not compatible. I mean not at all. If you were to rebuild the engine with a later crankshaft, like one from a 1962-66 318, or with a rebalanced crank from a LA273, LA318, or LA340 of any year it would PROBABLY bolt up. Maybe even a crank from something later like a 318 magnum (no 360s).

There are other things to think about. 1957 era Mopar transmissions had no "Park", so you had to use the e-brake, and it was mounted on the back of the transmission. Removing the transmission leaves you with no e-brake. Pushbutton transmissions were cable operated, and the aluminum Torqueflites that might bolt to your block (but not your crank) were only cable operated 1962 through 1965. Those transmissions have park, but the pushbuttons in the 1957 car do not have park. With a 1966 or later transmission, you are stuck with a linkage. Aluminum Torqueflites with an e-brake on the back did exist, but only for huge Dodge trucks, and anyway I don't think aluminum Torqueflites like that existed in the pushbutton era. Maybe, but I have personally never seen one. Another gotcha with the overdrive versions of the aluminum Torqueflites specifically is the size at the back. They are huge. I don't think there are many if any older cars they fit in without a bunch of cutting.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 4

The crankshaft issue Bloo mentions is this. Early engines have the flywheel bolted on with  nuts and bolts. Newer ones use cap screws threaded into the flywheel flange. The newer engines have a shorter crankshaft since they don't need room to put in the nuts. This change took place in 1962.

The bellhousing of any A, LA or Gen III Hemi transmission will bolt up but there are other details to worry about.

• Like 2

Sorry to say but much of the above advise/comments are pointless word salads and not applicable.

Some, but not all, late-'56 through '58 Dodge cars/trucks & Plymouths with 6 and/or 8 cylinder engine bell/converter housings will interchange with minor or no alterations.   

I have some, but would need the casting number from yours to help determine if any might work for you ?

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, moparmike said:

To TTR Casting numbers 1853901. Do you have 1

that number comes up as '58 Ply LP2 after engine #LP8-132171, and '58 Dodge LD2 after engine #L325-41951 , so stated in the 55-58 Mopar parts book. 59 might fit? I will look in the Hollander when I get a chance.

Edited by Paul S (see edit history)
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, moparmike said:

To TTR Casting numbers 1853901. Do you have 1

Sorry for delayed reply. I haven't had a chance to visit my storage where they are. I'll try within next couple of days and report back.

I just realized that casting number suggests your bell housing may not be correct or original application for that car/engine/transmission.

Was it in the car/engine/transmission when you received the project and do you know if it had been working with it ?

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yes it came out of the car with the engine attached. Has some cracks in it so welding is an option but prefer not to. Since this is a restoration. It is a very late 57 year car. So may have 58 parts. 

37 minutes ago, moparmike said:

Yes it came out of the car with the engine attached. Has some cracks in it so welding is an option but prefer not to. Since this is a restoration. It is a very late 57 year car. So may have 58 parts. 

That number is a late'58 number. I will post the interchange for that number in a while. Some thing is not correct. That bell does not belong in that car. Is it an air cooled or water cooled transmission??

Edited by Paul S (see edit history)

1 hour ago, moparmike said:

First, I did just stopped by my off-site storage and I do not have a bell housing with that casting number nor any that Hollander Interchange Manual suggests as a possible replacement, although latter doesn't necessarily mean you couldn't use some other one, but that would require for you to try and make the decision. Sorry.

Also, being presumably a "late-'57" car, your bell housing casting number could be original and appears to be for "water cooled" transmission ("Air cooled" transmissions used bell housings with several openings w/screens on them and smaller diameter torque converters w/rows of small cooling fins).

Good luck with your search and restoration.

• Like 1

Mopar parts book. Group 9-46-90. part number1853901.  The notation (3) indicates it was used after the engine numbers mentioned earlier. The notation in front of the part number designates the number was not used in any previous parts books. 

419123023_1856905271427268_1026080599959688725_n.jpg

40 minutes ago, Paul S said:

you have Hollander #344 and you should have #345 419324707_759438889490253_1353062173998258666_n.jpg.11082629fb21ea1935aa81113c2e01d8.jpg

419097874_1086365399333517_4537741485520384490_n.jpg

Saw all this earlier, but noticed "B fits A" (not vice versa) and no mention of '57 Plymouth, hence didn't suggest anything definitive.

Checked my 1964 Glenn Mitchell Chrysler parts reference book and found the 1853901 bell housing was used in 1958 Dodge LD2 models with engine serial numbers after L325-41951.