1928 Whippet Coach needs restoring

Been collecting parts for this for the past 40 years, but now health will prevent me from restoring it. I should have nearly every part to complete restoration, plus included is a “gold mine” of parts for all years of Whippet. They could be sold, and the investment would pretty much pay for itself. Pick up only. Many more photos on request. I have around $6000 in it, but I’m willing to negotiate.

AEB6F557-E86C-4A61-A2F8-C540899BC4C4.jpeg

5760090D-A3AE-4C25-8A59-44EA588BCE6E.jpeg

6AF76F90-08CF-424B-98E9-337DED3CB39A.jpeg

DDCD5A4C-7224-42D3-9E09-031D1E1FD5F3.jpeg

026080CB-D018-485E-BF62-5782D5EA8EC4.jpeg

DC488CD0-4483-49EC-B6CB-C014083AA6D2.jpeg

Edited by Willy
Change date. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Location, Location,Location.

Can you share some photos of the interior?

Thanks

Bill

Has the original seats - two bucket type, fold forward seats, complete bottom and back to the rear seat. I have the wood portion of the steering wheel, the glass to the stop light, many extra parts.

9F4848EB-DCDD-4AB9-A2B4-992A5AF8C880.jpeg

99596B7C-4E30-4A91-A723-85E30595BE72.jpeg

EF24C5E2-7791-451D-8912-FAC346D48484.jpeg

C07E68FF-BD41-45CA-A2D5-2793D6842213.jpeg

I apologize for how brutal this is going to sound but in today's market I think you would have a hard time giving it away. I say that because I've just finished trying to clear the estate of my late uncle where we had piles of parts (mostly for model A's). We couldn't sell them even at a give-away price and, in fact, we were forced to abandon nearly all of them. I don't know what he new owner of the property did but most likely they all went for scrap.

At the moment the period isn't popular, it was a medium to low priced car to begin with and it needs just about everything. The best bet would be someone with a similar car who wanted the parts you've collected but even then it's not likely you will find someone locally and transport from Montana to just about anywhere is likely to equal the value of what you have. I have a car in similar condition...all apart and I have much more in it than you do but I realize that unless I get it back together it's virtually worthless as it.

• Like 1

I love basket cases, especially Willys, Overland or Knight's. But sadly, your words are true. It would have to be at giveaway prices.

If it were a cabriolet or a roadster you would stand a bit of a chance but then most likely only to someone who already collects that marque.

I've already got lots of extra parts including 4 spare engines.

Good Luck,

Whippetalongcornfield.jpeg.b1f69947aa2fd451218b633ab90d3ad7.jpeg

Bill

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

I apologize for how brutal this is going to sound but in today's market I think you would have a hard time giving it away. I say that because I've just finished trying to clear the estate of my late uncle where we had piles of parts (mostly for model A's). We couldn't sell them even at a give-away price and, in fact, we were forced to abandon nearly all of them. I don't know what he new owner of the property did but most likely they all went for scrap.

This is where a donation to a non profit or club might make sense.

I'm trying to get a 1928 Whippet restored and could really use a lot of parts!!! I also have a 1927 coupe which is essentially just a frame, but with this horde could turn it into nearly a vehicle.

Are you willing to negotiate on the parts cache? I'm in Southern Alberta, which isn't that far of a jaunt to northern Montana. I'm just a guy in his 30s trying to make a go of these old cars!

But along the lines of what the other guys are saying, I paid $4,500 CDN for my Whippet and it was 75% restored (painted, wheels redone, engine done, trans done, brakes done etc.), and $400 CDN for a similar stash that came with the '27.

Edited by TheFairbanks (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I’m willing to negotiate, but many parts to complete this car are scattered through the parts stash. If it’s worth your time, come down, and let’s talk. I am downsizing, and would prefer to remove the entire lot. My email is: gfharper625@gmail.com. Willy

• Like 3

Fate has smiled on me - a gentleman not too far from me needs parts to finish a Whippet he’s restoring, and is willing to work a deal to take all I have. I realize what some say, about the value. Value is not always in dollars, and my dream of restoring this car back to original is moving to someone else’s hands. I’m restoring a 1918 DB Touring, and realize hanging on to the Whippet is not practical. 

• Like 7

Excellent! I think that is the best solution possible and I agree that "value" has a much broader meaning than dollars. My own restoration project will ultimately cost more just in materials & tools than the finished car will be worth and that doesn't include a penny for the countless hours I've spent and will spend on it. But, I never intended to make money with it. It's the challenge that counts with me and the ongoing mental and physical activity that let me feel 30 years younger than I really am.

• Like 4

JV, the “countless hours” kept you away from the TV, computer, the stress of everyday life. It’s kinda like our “yoga”. And we don’t even have to wear those silly tights!

• Haha 1

Sounds like a great ending and will be in good hands. 
Very encouraging that another youngster has an interest for the era as well. 

I have to admit, this thread made my day. 

• Like 3