Whitewall tire recommendations?

Adambravo

Hey, all! Based on my searching, it looks like the newest discussion on this topic is about eight years old, so I thought I would raise it again to see if there is any newer info. I’m at the 10 year mark to replace the tires on my 1963, and looking for recommendations on brands. I currently have a three-quarter inch whitewall, but it appears, based on my reading, that a 1 inch or 1.3 inch might be more correct. Any other thoughts are welcome—and thanks in advance…

56 minutes ago, Adambravo said:

Hey, all! Based on my searching, it looks like the newest discussion on this topic is about eight years old, so I thought I would raise it again to see if there is any newer info. I’m at the 10 year mark to replace the tires on my 1963, and looking for recommendations on brands. I currently have a three-quarter inch whitewall, but it appears, based on my reading, that a 1 inch or 1.3 inch might be more correct. Any other thoughts are welcome—and thanks in advance…

Check Hankook optima or Nexen. Both make whitewalls that are 1 inch. I've been running the Hankook's on my 71 since Oct 2016. Been very happy with them. 

Robert Bonto

3 hours ago, Adambravo said:

looks like the newest discussion on this topic is about eight years old

No, there's been plenty of recent discussion on this, triggered by fewer options available today. They are deemed a "Trailer Tire Size" Search some more.

I'd copy and paste my research on WSWs, but it is already out-of-date.

I went with SureTrac "Power Touring" 225/70-15 that has a 1.4" WSW. For 225/75-15s, the WSW is 1.5" wide. This is a Driver quality All Season tire, do not expect perfection. Another Cheap All Season still offering WSW is Ironman RB12. Nexen N'Priz AHS is a better quality All Season. TigerPaw AWP discontinued, Radar Dimax and Hankooks Kinergy are forever out-of-stock.

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/395036-ww-tire-options-for-first-gen/page/4/#comments

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/358448-diamondback-triple-whitewall-tires/page/2/#comments

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)
  • Like 2

John:   225 70 15 is absolutely the right size.  More meat on the ground and you don't have to go hoops of fire to play with the stance. Personally, I like the N'Priz and although the white stripe is a bit thin. It's cheap and available and a decent quality.  Mitch

• Thanks 2

On 3/17/2024 at 5:04 PM, lrlforfun said:

John:   225 70 15 is absolutely the right size.  More meat on the ground and you don't have to go hoops of fire to play with the stance.

image.png.fe9ce1202c30743603dd301e879c4646.png

In the Parking Lot of the old "RIVIERA Hotel" now a Ramada here in Edmonton.

Not intentional as I was looking for an open space to take the picture on the way home from the tire shop.

If I had realized it was the Riviera Hotel, would've had the Hotel Lobby side in the background, LOL

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lrlforfun said:

John:   225 70 15 is absolutely the right size.  More meat on the ground and you don't have to go hoops of fire to play with the stance. Personally, I like the N'Priz and although the white stripe is a bit thin. It's cheap and available and a decent quality.  Mitch

225/75 and 225/70 both put 225 mm of rubber on the ground.  The aspect ratios of 75 and 70 mean that the height is 75% or 70% of the width. If both have a width of 225 mm, then the 70 tire has a smaller circumference.  A smaller ratio also means a shorter sidewall which would also resale to less sidewall flex and less cushioning.  The smaller circumference also means more revolutions per mile which adversely effects your mileage.  Just some food for thought.  https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Thanks for all the input so far.

I should note that I am currently running 205/75 R15s; I'm assuming I need to stick to 205s unless I change the wheels (which I am not)...

Any additional input on whitewall width? My car is largely original (one repaint, about 30 years ago, original interior except for the wood trim) so I want something that's period-appropriate for a '63.

My car had Milestar MS775 in 235/75R15's when I got it, they were decent but 10 year old tires when I purchased car so no review on them. I purchased Hankook Kinergy ST in 235/75R15 to replace them and have about 6k miles on them and they are impressive for the price point but the white walls are not perfect and have some imperfections but for $110 each mounted and balanced, no complaints. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Adambravo said:

Thanks for all the input so far.

I should note that I am currently running 205/75 R15s; I'm assuming I need to stick to 205s unless I change the wheels (which I am not)...

Any additional input on whitewall width? My car is largely original (one repaint, about 30 years ago, original interior except for the wood trim) so I want something that's period-appropriate for a '63.

I think that the 205 is too small for your car.  The 215/75 is the replacement fit the original 7.10 x 15, and the 225/75 is the replacement for the 7.60.  If your car has the chrome Buick rally wheel or the 6” steel wheel, you should be running the 225 tire.  If it has the 5.5” steel wheel, then the 215 is the correct tire. The 205 was used on the 89-93 Riviera.

8 hours ago, Adambravo said:

Any additional input on whitewall width?

Adam, did you navigate to any of those links? Again, much dialogue on this already and more links if you search.

The 1st link is 4-pages long. On Page #3 and quoting Rivnut on WSW width:

"The wider 1.5” white sidewall series 75 tires would be the closest you could get to the original.  I think it’s a matter of what we’ve become accustomed to rather than what looks correct.  Once you mount a 1,5” white sidewall and get used to it, you’ll agree that that is THE tire that belongs on the car for an authentic look.  I’ve run 70 series tires on a few of my Rivieras and they rub at full lock.  For me the 75 series tires are best in more ways than one." 

Nowadays, WSW width is whatever you can find available for purchase. Unless of course you are OK spending $$$ for Diamondback, Coker and Kontio

2 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Adam, did you navigate to any of those links? Again, much dialogue on this already and more links if you search.

The 1st link is 4-pages long. On Page #3 and quoting Rivnut on WSW width:

"The wider 1.5” white sidewall series 75 tires would be the closest you could get to the original.  I think it’s a matter of what we’ve become accustomed to rather than what looks correct.  Once you mount a 1,5” white sidewall and get used to it, you’ll agree that that is THE tire that belongs on the car for an authentic look.  I’ve run 70 series tires on a few of my Rivieras and they rub at full lock.  For me the 75 series tires are best in more ways than one." 

Nowadays, WSW width is whatever you can find available for purchase. Unless of course you are OK spending $$$ for Diamondback, Coker and Kontio

I did, but the first link focused on 1965s, and most of the second link focused on 1964/65…

15 hours ago, powerage said:

they look and feel good, although I usually refer to them as beige-walls

Me like too, I have a White '63 Riviera. I think I'm noticing a hint of beige on the new SureTracs with maybe 30 miles on them and parked inside. I'm OK as long as consistent all around, not spotty.

The window has closed on Cooper Trendsetters.