Not Mine….Something of a mish/mash Speedster…$3,000 Nelson Wis

Here’s a start of something really different on Facebook Marketplace:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1396941831194755/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=marketplace_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks

“1930 Pontiac wheels/axles/steering 1915ish Maxwell sedan frame, Ford 300/6, Vintage racecar project car. We know it is cool. If you are a serious buyer and have questions feel free to ask.“

IMG_5601.jpeg

IMG_5602.jpeg

IMG_5603.jpeg

IMG_5604.jpeg

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Leif in Calif said:

If it had a pre-war engine (and not a flat head V8 Ford), it would be a lot better. 

I agree to a point. I'm almost finished installing a later model engine and trans. into my 30 DeSoto because the correct engine wasn't available. It is really nice to be able to order parts on line without spending months looking for something that doesn't exist. The car will look the same as it did but I now know I'm going to be able to keep it on the road. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

I like your project, hope things are progressing.

They are. I hope to have it running this weekend. Have some issues with the sparkilator. 

• Like 1

For $3,000 this seems like a great start to me.  Yes sh**can the engine but a lot of choices on that front.  The basic speedster proportions are good and the sheetmetal work is good as well.  Looks more like  Big boy speedster than a typical tranverse single spring T frame.  If it was in CT I would probably grab it.  Jeff I give it a week - a lot of speedster interest among younger hobbyists.  It should find a home.

• Like 2

Steve, I have to disagree with you on the sheetmetal work. That to me is the shortfall. No offense to any iron workers out there but it looks like something an iron worker made, LOL. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

To me, for a lower budget but creative Speedster project a big question would be if hoodline follows a radiator.  And if they actually have the rad.   If it was a random design that spells a lot of work or you may just need toss the hood and replace it with something that fits.  Little details like setting the hood on wooden "shelves" might not have been taken into account - would need to look at it to know just how many little things were done or not so far.

The Erector set lines are not that different from many cars in period they seem to be going for.  Not swoopy or curvey like your TA Kerry! 😁

I have seen guys attemp this with later chassis -say early 30s.  You may get a nice drivetrain but for a speedster to look "right" you want an earlier chassis.  This one doesn't seem much bigger than a T - ez to manouver and store.  You can get away with truck chassis mainly thinking ALF on the bigger stuff as the evolution was a lot slower there.

I am not sure I would keep the "trunk" and would likely opt for a repro tank there - put it on a base similar in size to what's there now and you start to get the look.

But AJ is right, this will keep someone busy for a while building...

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

@Fossil I think a Buick straight 8 would help this along somewhat. There is a prewar one for sale near me. I like your project, hope things are progressing.

Here's the ultimate Buick straight 8 speedster: 

https://revsinstitute.org/the-collection/1939-bu-merc/ 

Bu-Merc-front-3-4.jpg

4 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

a big question would be if hoodline follows a radiator.  And if they actually have the rad. 

That's the first thing that came to my mind also and if they did is the radiator available? 

I still like the looks of it and if the radiator didn't come with it I'd be tempted to put an air cooled diesel in it and make a grille. 

Sorry it's just the way I think 😲

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)
  • Like 1