Brake lines

ken77

Hi all, I'm working on a 1929 chrysler roadster and the brake lines are 3/8 copper tubing.  It seems that all of the fittings are leaking. Tried tightening them they still leak. Should I replace them with copper or use steel not sure what was originally used.  Thanks

4 hours ago, ken77 said:

Hi all, I'm working on a 1929 chrysler roadster and the brake lines are 3/8 copper tubing.  It seems that all of the fittings are leaking. Tried tightening them they still leak. Should I replace them with copper or use steel not sure what was originally used.  Thanks

I still have the original copper lines in my 29 Dodge Bros truck and they do not leak. There are many fittings in the lines. 

I have had problems with some of the brass fittings, They were cracked because of over tightening.

Curious what brake fluid are you using. I believe the DOT 5 fluid tends to weep more than DOT 4.

• Like 1

I believe the copper brake lines  used back in the day were of a high grade material such as refrigeration copper lines, not your standard hardware store copper.   I have had many early Chrysler products over the years with no leakage problems.   Your lines could be damaged at the joints. 

• Like 1

There is a reason car manufacturers started using steel instead of copper. Copper work hardens as it flexes, then cracks, more than steel lines.

I use Cunifer (NiCop, NiCu, NiCuFe). Looks good, stays good, does not rust.😉

• Like 2

I agree. Copper was a bad idea because it work hardens and cracks. Steel "Bundyflex" tubng is better than copper but can rust out. Today you can get CuNiFer, Nicopp, etc. It looks about like copper and is not prone to work hardening or rusting. I've not used it, but it has been around for years now, and so far no known downside.