vent window

anyone experience when front vent windows closed you can still hear the wind blowing ? my front vent windows, when there closed I still hear the wind blowing. the rubber is still pretty good and has a tight seal, but I still hear the wind blowing. problem is I don't feel any wind coming into the car, I just hear it. anyone experience this and possibly know how stop the sound of the wind ? thinking about maybe changing the vent window rubber anyway. any other idea's ? 

I have had several old cars in which I replaced the vent window rubber, after which I could still hear the wind in all of them.  I don't know if Steele (from whom I purchased the rubber) does not make the seals exactly to factory specs, or if the rubber constancy is not what it used to be as in the old days, or something else but they still whistle air.  No drafts though.

Yes, it drives me nuts too.  Especially when the rest of the car is pretty much noiseless.

yes pacKick it drives me crazy. I'm going to try to change the rubber in those vent windows and see if anything changes but like you said right now there is no air coming through so hopefully when I change the rubber it will quiet down. I'll keep you informed on what happens.

The replacement rubber pieces are a best-effort basis in my opinion... you can pack them on the outside with some closed cell double adhesive like 3M tape, or household window weatherstripping to make it just a little bit thicker. You have to make sure its thin, or thin enough to collapse so you can close the window. The ultimate test is going through a mechanical car wash and see where you are taking in water. In my case, I was left with a quarter inch hole where the vent frame meshes with the window frame due to manufacturing tolerances. I have learned to live with it, and on extended car rides I will stick a small foam ball in there to seal it up. I have not had the space or courage to re-hang my door...

60FLatTOP I know what your saying but hearing that wind whistling through the vent windows is driving me nuts.lol ! like I said before going to change the rubber out and hopefully that does the trick.its gotta be that because there is no wind coming into the car from the vent windows. its just that whistling sound.

May I presume you have tried opening the vent window to see if the whistle goes away while driving? It could be the whistle is the seal between the window and the A pillar, especially up in the corner with the chrome flipper trim. If possible you might want to try sealing all the suspected areas with duct tape strips and then remove them one by one on test drives till the location of the leak is found. 

• Like 1

thanks JOHND1956. Someone mentioned to me that there is a rubber seal that goes along that A pillar from the top of that flipper down. now mine does not have that ,so I might try to put that in there but I will try your suggestions also cause its driving me crazy.That's the funny thing, everything is tight and snug and there's no air coming inside from the vent window so like I said maybe the rubber has to be changed out.

25 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

duct tape strips

Painter's tape, please! Duct tape residue is SOOOOOOOO hard to remove.

• Like 2

Some of the crank open vent windows have pot metal gears that can have teeth failed or sheared. I think McVey's makes a steel replacement that will fit many GM cars if they don't close tight.

60FLATTOP my vent windows stay closed very tight and I had the frames all redone. that's the puzzling thing. no air comes through when driving but I hear the wind whistling anyway. the rubber is a little bit worn so I'm hoping when I change it out it will stop and I'm going to try to put that rubber seal that runs along the post from the flipper front down along that post that meets the door. gonna try anything at this point. thanks and yes to frank Duval I will use the painter's tape. it leaves no residue.

I worked and worked to get mine sealed up tighter than a bull's ass in fly season.  I was happy with the results until I opened the vent and then it was screaming like a banshee.

Try without the vent or try cracking a window.

19 hours ago, john compono said:

thanks JOHND1956. Someone mentioned to me that there is a rubber seal that goes along that A pillar from the top of that flipper down. now mine does not have that ,so I might try to put that in there but I will try your suggestions also cause its driving me crazy.That's the funny thing, everything is tight and snug and there's no air coming inside from the vent window so like I said maybe the rubber has to be changed out.

That whistle can come from deceptive locations.  It coukd be the flipper sticks out a bit too much from the body and catxhes the air as it whios off the corner of tge windshield. It could be the angle of an outside rearview mirror.  It could be weatherstrip under the flipper. It could be the entire vent assembly is not located exactly as needed to miss the air stream.  I like @old-tanks response. Open the window. that is how I addressed that on the drivers side on the 56. And for now the vent window on the pass side is taped closed. 

18 hours ago, old-tank said:

I worked and worked to get mine sealed up tighter than a bull's ass in fly season.  I was happy with the results until I opened the vent and then it was screaming like a banshee.

Try without the vent or try cracking a window.

Sometimes I just get sidetracked thinking about the origins of metaphors. Especially when they are combined.

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, EmTee said:

I watch for nested acronyms. 

Reminds of the first time I saw DFW used for Dallas/Fort Worth. Wasn't even close to how we used it. And really shocked me to see it written.

And that bull in fly season would have been fly time in these parts, as in "Get the milk house cleaned before fly time".

• Haha 1