Question on 1932 Chevy title

MCatL

Hi, I have a 1932 Chevy that was my husbands'. He passed away and I am unable to locate any paperwork on the 32. I know he never registered it so I don't have a signable registration. It is not a junk car, it's actually in good condition & runs. I am going to have to sell it as I have to downsize, and am not quite sure what to do without a registration or paperwork. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

• Like 1

Where? Where? Where? Every state is different! In many states you would still apply for a lost or missing title regardless of whether he ever had one or not. In many other states they will laugh in your face if you ask to do that! A few states still do not title cars that early. A few states? Are downright NASTY! To get any decent answer? WE have to know where you and the car are.

A local club might be able to help?

• Like 1

Common topic. How many of you are in possession of cars that you do not have clear title and ownership of?

It should be job one even if it is a restoration project. Show of hands of those in the same predicament and why?

3 hours ago, MCatL said:

I am in NY (Staten Island). I don't know of any local car clubs. 

I used to live on Staten Island and the DMV was always easy to deal with.  I registered several 'paperless' cars with their help.  I'd try making a personal visit, explain your situation, and see what they can do for you.

Is there an ID number on the car that you can find?  Does it have registration stickers on the windshield?  New York registration stickers have had the VIN and plate number printed on them since about 1980, which would help you considerably.

Edited by Harold (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Common topic. How many of you are in possession of cars that you do not have clear title and ownership of?

Right now, I have two nearly restored model Ts (one in my main garage, and one in an outbuilding) that I do not have titles for. I have been down this road several times before, and in the past, California has been sometimes difficult and sometimes easy to "generate a new title" for antique automobiles. One thing I put in the "difficult" column is that they by their rules refuse to regenerate a title until the car is running and nearly roadworthy. I would prefer to square away the title before spending time and money on a project car. But their rules don't allow that (yes I know that some people have gotten around those rules, but I never found a legal way around them?). The California DMV has repeatedly assured me that when my car is ready, they will take care of it and me! I hope they honor their promises.

Both of those model Ts I have bought needed parts for in more recent years, however, the main project piles I began with I have had for twenty years or more.  All projects and parts have been legally bought, paid or traded for, most many years ago.

As to how New York does titles? I don't know anything about them.

You need to get in touch with NYS DMV.  They have procedure for this. First You will need to pay sales tax on the car (since it was your husbands, you can put that  on the form and you will pay no sales tax) and insure it,  in order, to start this procedure and then fill out the paper work and send it in with a photo or a tracing of the vin number.  DMV will then send you a non-transferable registration while they check the vin out and then after a number of months, they will send you a transferable registration.  NYS does not issue titles for cars before 1973. 

I have done this to get  paper work for one of my cars and shortly will be doing it again for another car.  NYS is one of the easy states to deal with on this matter.  

Edited by 32tatra
miss spelled word (see edit history)
  • Like 2