1941 Super Front Suspension and Steering Help Needed

B Moore

I just bought this Super sedan as a basket case. Entire front end is disassembled. Lots of new parts came with it. I’m not sure that everything is there but maybe I just don’t understand how it all should go back together. I know that somewhere on here is a thread on this but I’m having trouble figuring out a search function to access the info. Can anyone post a diagram or pics of their front end rehab? I would really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance, Bob

Searching MOOG suspension bushings can get you pictures like this as well as MOOG part numbers. If I am planning a job I run an Ebay search with email notification for needed wear parts.

Be careful about goofy search results on Ebay and Google. They can make you laugh.

Looking at pictures and laying out your parts should give you a pretty good handle on things.

image.jpeg.3796640a01d5d371eaa4f429d520ecb0.jpeg

image.jpeg.95ffecbfa27fedf7dd42c83e93287f4c.jpeg

image.jpeg.b947fc5262c09047b9aac4bbdc3dbf34.jpeg

Bob, I'd suggest you order a copy of the 1941 BUICK factory shop manual. You're likely going to refer to it many times in the course of getting your '41 on the road. It's available in printed reproduction form, as well as digital. Either version costs very little money. John

• Like 1

So I ordered a reprint of the factory shop manual last night. Cheap enough. Should be here in a few days. Kgreen, where does the arm (part AA) in the illustration bolt to? Through the backing plate and spindle? Upper or lower set of spindle holes? I couldn’t seem to make it clear the king pin shaft.

Going to put a Buick straight 8 in it?  Or hot rod with a different engine~drive line?

Download the 1942 Buick shop manual for free. All of it section by section.

Or click the pdf link to pay.

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Buick/1942/Shop Manual/

It is very comprehensive and has information that can be used with all straight 8’s.

It has more information than was included in older “Shop Manuals” before 1942

You also should get a copy of a "Master Parts Book of Chassis Master for Buick 1928 -52". (or similar year range)

That is where the Page 178-A comes from.

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, B Moore said:

So I ordered a reprint of the factory shop manual last night. Cheap enough. Should be here in a few days. Kgreen, where does the arm (part AA) in the illustration bolt to? Through the backing plate and spindle? Upper or lower set of spindle holes? I couldn’t seem to make it clear the king pin shaft.

Lower set of holes with, as you mentioned, bolts going through the backing plate and spindle.  Be aware that the arms are left and right as reversing these will cause interference problems.

Came with a rebuilt engine still sitting on the crate back from the machine shop. Factory 248 with factory dual carbs. The new drag link, tie rod ends and steering arms are already assembled. I hope the previous owner put it back together correctly. Does the mounting hole for the sway bar link in the lower A-arm go to the front or to the back? That would tell me which is left and which is right. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, B Moore said:

Does the mounting hole for the sway bar link in the lower A-arm go to the front or to the back? That would tell me which is left and which is right. 

Sway bar link goes in front.  Let me know if you need more photos.

left-front.jpg.0e86ab35b71d43726279598d066011d1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kgreen, Does the master parts book give measurements on bolts and other fasteners? My shop manual came but I’ll need more info than it has to source correct fasteners. And what are BHA manuals that I’ve seen people discuss here ?

8 hours ago, B Moore said:

Kgreen, Does the master parts book give measurements on bolts and other fasteners? My shop manual came but I’ll need more info than it has to source correct fasteners. And what are BHA manuals that I’ve seen people discuss here ?

For part Z "bolt", as in page 178-a above, for group 6.106 has size listed for 1941 as 7/16" 20 x 2 15/32".   But not all bolts with a part number may have dimensions in parts books.   For part AQ "bolt" group 6.170 looks to be part of a kit. So no description - size.

From 1928-52 Master Parts Book pg 211

1928-52 Master Parts Book pg 211 extract.jpg

BHA  = https://www.buickheritagealliance.org/

https://www.buickheritagealliance.org/archives

Some of those or similar documents are avalaible from other sources.

Like https://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Thanks, 1939 Buick, I’ll be looking for a Master Parts Book for sure. I’m trying to get everything gathered up before I try to reassemble the front suspension. The PO had labeled boxes and baggies with fasteners but I haven’t found the front end bolts or wheel bearings, spindle nuts, etc. It doesn’t help that the car has been moved a couple of times since the owner passed away. I’m afraid I’m missing a box of pieces that will be expensive and/or difficult to replace. 

Some parts are common across several years. Others 1 year only.  Master Parts book identify

The best source of pre war Buick parts is Dave Tacheny in Champlin, MN. He specializes in 1936-1941 Buick parts. He is old school:- no email. The best way to contact him is to call him between 4 and 7 pm Central at 763-427 3460. You can also write him a letter. His address is 11949 Oregon Ave N., Champlin, MN 55316. 

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/206688-dave-tachney/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Be careful when putting back together.  On my 1942 Buck the left and right side are different regarding the front end.  Check the part numbers on the parts, like the spindle knucles, shocks, etc.   Good luck.

• Thanks 1