The Vintage Motoring Experience

I've been following the saga of the 1934 Packard V12 with considerable interest... particularly the thread drift around restomods and all the efforts that can go into upgrades for speed, comfort, safety, whatever.  All fine and good for those who crave that sort of thing, but I gravitate towards cars and usage that reflect the times when these cars were just used (often very used) cars.

Remember decades ago when we would pile a few buddies into our beater and take off for an overnight somewhere? We didn't care about the weather or the roads, everybody chipped in for gas, we stayed in a cheap motel, everyone drove. The car ran and drove and stopped OK, the heater was marginal and the radio was crap (but the clock still worked!). And we used paper maps. That's the kind of trip we had last weekend and it was a hoot!

Four of us drove my '47 Dodge from Edmonton, AB to Lethbridge AB and back for the SAACAC Early Bird Swap Meet on Saturday, Feb 10. Total distance 688 miles, target cruising speed 50-52 mph, moving average 42.6, top speed 59 and the old heap never missed a beat. Daylight, night running, fog, two-lane, four-lane, gravel, whatever. The swap meet was well attended  and there were probably were some other oldies in the lot but I never saw 'em.

Fun Stuff.

Team 47 Dodge.jpg

Ryan Bob Brian.jpeg

Frosty Ram.jpeg

Rad shop.jpg

Shortest route.jpg

Edited by Chris Bamford (see edit history)
  • Like 23
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Chris Bamford said:

Four of us drove my '47 Dodge from Edmonton, AB to Lethbridge AB and back for the SAACAC Early Bird Swap Meet on Saturday, Feb 10. Total distance 688 miles, target cruising speed 50-52 mph, moving average 42.6, top speed 59 and the old heap never missed a beat. Daylight, night running, fog, two-lane, four-lane, gravel, whatever. The swap meet was well attended  and there were probably were some other oldies in the lot but I never saw 'em.

Fun Stuff.

Sounds like great fun. Unfortunately in my part of the woods, you'd be looked upon with great suspicion and wariness, probably hassled by the local constabulary, questioned by the brave and strong, worry the women, and send small children screaming in fright in all directions. Minor concerns, but something to consider.

P.S. Do you have room for one more buddy on next years trip?

• Haha 3

That looks like a great time.  Looks like your car is well used and loved! I cant imagine living in those conditions though😬 Looks way too cold for too long.

Never took an antique car trip but I know the feeling, my brothers and myself would often take off (on motorcycles) on a whim over the course of a 2 day weekend seeing how far we could get before having to turn back towards home. A little bit of interstate to get us going then back roads and mom n pop eateries to see the country side. Lotsa fun.

• Like 2

I was at that swap meet, and had a great time!  The excellent new facility was well laid out, and has additional room for expansion if needed.  Only complaint I heard was parking, but was not an issue for me as I was there early with 'Fargoguy' and his dad, and friends of theirs who were vending.  The old facility is awaiting to be demolished, which will alleviate much of the parking problem, but its going to cost almost as much to level it with asbestos and other hazmat concerns as it did to construct the new facility!!

Craig

Thanks all for your interest and comments.

Bloo: Yes, a 'Plodge". Postwar Canadian-market Dodges were badge-engineered Plymouths. I use a US-market Plymouth P15 workshop manual.

Crusty: No empty seats expected next year, but if you show up in an oldie we'll convoy together 🙂.

Craig: We should meet sometime. Red Deer maybe?

Peter: The Grand Forks tour sounds like a lot of fun. Busy time for us here, but a solid maybe.

Peter, BTW, was responsible for for one of my favourite Vintage Motoring Memories of 2023: at 7:30 one brisk April morning he and a friend rolled up to Vancouver International Airport in his 1910 Russell Model 22 sleeve-valve touring... picked us up for breakfast and some great tire-kicking at a mutual friend's shop. Best six-hour layover ever!

Findley Russel YVR.jpeg

Findley Russel turn left.jpeg

Edited by Chris Bamford (see edit history)
  • Like 3