1959 Rambler Rebel, $4k, Reading PA

Just weird enough to be cool.😎

Learned something today. I never knew Ramblers had pushbutton transmission controls. Or as a Mopar buddy calls Chrysler versions "Mash-O-Matic".

Look close at the Rambler's rear door and quarter window styling. Then look at this:

344x258.jpeg.jpgReckon Nissan would admit to copping the Rambler roofline?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gearheadengineer said:

Maybe, but the Rebel is somewhat special. I’ve seen it called one of the first muscle cars. Light body, powerful engine. 

Yes, overlooked because of its nameplate but the 327ci engine in that body was a real hot rod, the proverbial wolf in sheep’s clothing.

• Like 2

I do recall that the '57 Rambler Rebel had the highest horsepower to weight ratio of any American car that year.  Effectively, for you drag racers, that made it a "SUPER STOCK".  Not sure if that factor remained in place during following years of the horsepower race.

• Like 2

I'd like to see a picture of the engine or some actual verification that this car has the 327. Maybe only the top of the line longer wheelbase Ambassabors had that larger V8 in 1958 & 1959?  Most 1958 & 1959 Ramblers came with smaller 250 cu.in./215 hp V8s. Starting in 1958, all V8-powered Ramblers were called Rebels and would be badged as such. With that ancient PA inspection sticker, it's possible this 1959 model pictured for sale has been off the road for a really long time. If it doesn't have the 327 engine or if the engine's stuck, seized or damaged, IMO this non-running sedan would have very little value. Really need an AMC expert here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1