1971 Volkswagen karmann ghia $8,500, Woodbury, CT

To balance out the high roller Cord I just posted, here is something for under $10k. Looks nice to me. High fun/$ ratio.  There are a few more pics in the ad.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1449419695995778

1971 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia for sale. Car has recent tune-up and new brakes and tires all around. Semi-auto transmission. Please call 203-six1five-8zero2seven if interested. Price is $8500 Firm

image.jpeg.f89f37cf35b14c02431626d96b95b909.jpegimage.jpeg.aa796891572aa8b8f3e673363d5f5fed.jpegimage.jpeg.4ce4501378a05df08bf789dc95e794c7.jpeg

image.jpeg.60c44b4fef21a75fd8ff7719235500a0.jpeg
image.jpeg.781a4e0899629a7e540efd29065c75c3.jpegimage.jpeg.4f0bc331dad0fa2f28baa2b943e17b18.jpeg

• Like 5

Had a girlfriend back in the day with a K-G VW. Slipping clutch or extra low compression, or both. Scared the living daylights out of me entering the freeway. Quickly said "good-bye" to both before the engine could be relocated to the front, where it should have been in the first place.

I've had types 1,2,&4. No Karmann Ghia's. The type 4's were a neat car but the Karmann Ghia was one that I would have liked to have had. Would have to look the body over real closely before committing myself to this one. On the surface it looks pretty good. 

I'm no fan of most of the designs of Giha, including their Chryslers of the '50's, but concerning the K-G Vw's, the '61 - '69 VW type 34 K-G, in my opinion, was a more successful design - especially the convertible. Of the type 2 K-G's, the '74-'75 revision was much cleaner with single bar bumpers and tail lights incorporating side reflectors and back-up lights.

'74-75 VW K-G

File:1974 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia (29157081584).jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Type 34 K-G convertible  (top speed 90 mph)

VW Karmann-Ghia Typ 34 - JungleKey.de Bilder #50

Edited by f.f.jones (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

My wife had a '74 when we got married 40 years ago. I personally drove the wheels off that car. It was a pleasure to drive, and the car never left me stranded. This would be a great car to have as a daily driver. Drive it, keep up with the maintenance and sell it for what you paid for it. The car got 25 mpg no matter how I drove it. GLWTS

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

Not a VW guy as I don't fit in one. But I never heard about a semi-automatic before.

Back when VWs were still plentiful, I remember the mechanics where I worked hated the semi-auto. But that was a small independent garage so maybe they just weren’t trained on them. I’ve never driven one. My sister had a friend in HS who had a semi-auto bug. I may have asked her about it at some point but my mind would have been otherwise occupied when she was around. 

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Gearheadengineer said:

Back when VWs were still plentiful, I remember the mechanics where I worked hated the semi-auto. But that was a small independent garage so maybe they just weren’t trained on them. I’ve never driven one. My sister had a friend in HS who had a semi-auto bug. I may have asked her about it at some point but my mind would have been otherwise occupied when she was around. 

VW and Porsche had similar setups: There was the standard transmission but a torque converter was added. It still had a clutch but instead of the clutch pedal, there was a switch in the gear lever that pushed in the clutch when ever you touched it. My brother-in-law lost the use of his left knee in Vietnam and had a 1968 911 with the set up. It worked OK once you got used to it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, 1957Birdman said:

It was called the "Automatic Stick Shift". I never drove one. I learned to drive in a 1965 VW Beetle with regular stick shift. It was a good car to learn on.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

The Porsche version was called "Sportomatic", pretty rare option that would reduce resale value in the old days but (like the bench seat option on a 356) adds to it today.