1972 Olds Delta Royale 88 Convertible - CAD 8,500 - Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada - Relisted

Yes it'd take five minutes to get through an intersection. Yes you'd probably be the only one at the show because 90% of these were scrapped after gas shot up in price. Yes it'd cost a hundred bucks to go around the corner. But for the price, I'm debating getting it for a cheap summer cruiser. Don't think it's the original engine based on the writeup

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/355839204075761/ - old link

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/918370470300858/ - current link

Convertible! In miles, 455 V8, power windows, power top. Great summer ride. Historical service records. Brand new Rochester Q-jet, tuned up. One of 3900 made. Matching numbers

Product photo of 1972 Oldsmobile 88Product photo of 1972 Oldsmobile 88Product photo of 1972 Oldsmobile 88Product photo of 1972 Oldsmobile 88Product photo of 1972 Oldsmobile 88

Product photo of 1972 Oldsmobile 88Product photo of 1972 Oldsmobile 88
Edited by theconvertibleguy (see edit history)

😳Someone was trying to use up all their paint.

Worst thing on these is that all-electric scissor top mechanism. You need to make sure it's lubricated properly and not binding anywhere in its travel. If it has a glass rear window the window guide links need to be in place and connected to keep from shattering the window when operating the top.

I can't remember offhand if the 1972 big Olds used that CV joint driveshaft. My 73 had it and it had to be lubed every so often too to keep it from chirping and running you nuts.

Other than those items and possibility of trunk floor and quarter panel rust these cars are pretty much bulletproof mechanically. Plus they make you smile.

I kinda' liked it  - UNTIL -

No A/C ??

305 (5.0L) engine, misidentified as a 0.5L which would be 31 Cubic inches

On 2/4/2024 at 6:57 PM, theconvertibleguy said:

Yes it'd take five minutes to get through an intersection.

Are you saying a 455 is slow?

On 2/4/2024 at 6:57 PM, theconvertibleguy said:

...it'd cost a hundred bucks to go around the corner.

Well, probably not quite that much in the US. My 455 Buick Wildcat is no econo-box, but I can usually make it OK between gas stations if I don't show off in front of too many rice burners, tuners and jacked up black pickups along the way.

Download Man, Car, Fun. Royalty-Free Vector Graphic - Pixabay

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/29/2024 at 3:19 PM, theconvertibleguy said:

And that shag! Five bucks says that 70's oversized towel is covering up tears

On 2/29/2024 at 6:55 PM, rocketraider said:

Possibly. Or the owner got the back of his legs seared on a hot day when he left the top down!😄

C'mon, guys -definitely not Shag-

Surely you're old enough to remember "Zitspelt" ,

a A Sheepskin covering - surprisingly expensive  - more luxurious to "SIT" (English translation from the German) upon.

They were generally offered first to owners of Mercedes - then BMW & Porsche, but eventually the world of sporty car drivers caught on.

Generally the were made for bucket seats - mostly initially for open cars because they were cooler to sit on in summer, ande warmer in winter.

Seeing a full covering for this style is less common, and still a supposed luxury accessory (and yes, it "could" be covering a torn seat - and sometimes a five cent cigar is just a five cent cigar).

On 2/25/2024 at 10:39 PM, theconvertibleguy said:

...that beige colour is very 70's

I agree that brown interior is very common for that time period.

However, the maroon paint would have been very unusual with

that interior, not a manufacturer's "recommended" combination.

That makes me think that the paint color has been changed.

It's not a problem at all;  it's just a case of a later-period combination

put on the car.

On 2/4/2024 at 9:57 PM, theconvertibleguy said:

But for the price, I'm debating getting it for a cheap summer cruiser.

Go for it!  The car will have a good home with you.

• 1 month later...
  • theconvertibleguy changed the title to 1972 Olds Delta Royale 88 Convertible - CAD 11,500 - Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada - SOLD
On 5/1/2024 at 9:53 AM, theconvertibleguy said:

Looks like it's sold

to you? 

I have a 72 Buick Centurion convertible.  It rides so nice.  The 455 has lots of go, but yes she gets about 12mpg 😉  and I'm always the only one at the show

16 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

to you? 

I have a 72 Buick Centurion convertible.  It rides so nice.  The 455 has lots of go, but yes she gets about 12mpg 😉  and I'm always the only one at the show

Nah I passed on it. Good thing too. Got laid off this week

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, theconvertibleguy said:

. Got laid off this week

Oh no!  Sorry to hear that!  Hope you'll find yourself on your feet again soon.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • theconvertibleguy changed the title to 1972 Olds Delta Royale 88 Convertible - CAD 8,500 - Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada - Relisted