S.A. Cheney

I am reading the biography of S.A.Cheney from Australia. It is called Horses to Horsepower. He started importing DBs very early. The first one that he sold is still known to exist. He was a remarkable business man with not much education. Very persistent, and made many long time friends. 

• Like 2

If it’s the same business it’s still going today Doug , Now known as Paterson Cheney. 
They have Isuzu, Toyota, Mercedes and probably other dealerships here in Melbourne. I think they started in Port Melbourne. 

Back then he sold Fords, Argylls, Chevys, Morris and others at different times. Was connected to many businesses. He tried to get a dealership for DB before they even made a car. Pretty amazing guy. I think he left home at 12 and supported himself. Let's see some of those protestors do that.

• Like 2

I have the book and read it very carefully - he was a remarkable man with great ethics.  I would say he was to the Australian motoring industry what Henry Ford was to the American industry; except SA had a feeling for his fellow man.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for starting this thread, Doug. I had come across bits of his story in various publications over the years, but was unaware of this book. It fills in all the bits that I did not know (and there were lots!). After seing your thread, I went looking for a copy of the book and found one on Ebay which I bought. Just finished reading it, bloody great.

Again, thanks for alerting me to it.

John

• Like 1

For those of you in Australia who may not know about this, here is a great tool (website link below) for digging deeper into some of the stories as they took place. In a brief search of my own I uncovered quite a few interesting articles about Cheney DB dealership activities during the early days but thought it better for you Aussie brothers the pleasure of discovery if you decide to spend the time searching further. 

There is a wealth of information there and you may even find photos of the early dealership (please let us know if you do). 

Enjoy

Home page colorized video is a must (click on A Colourful History to get to a short youtube video)

Home - Trove (nla.gov.au)

News clippings main search page

Newspapers & Gazettes Home - Trove (nla.gov.au)

This will give you an idea of how the search tool works once the results come up.

25 May 1918 - SPARKS - Trove (nla.gov.au)

Here's a snippet from Dec 1916. I would love to be able to research this and put the pieces together chronologically but I'll leave that to you fellas.

This snippet has me curious to how many possible "Australian dealers of Dodge cars" may have existed at this time? Pretty amazing early information.

image.png.dd561dc441aa89a7ea5e66a38b1c1ee4.png

Interesting man and figure in Australian history for sure.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2024 at 10:11 AM, nearchoclatetown said:

I have a panoramic picture of the factory they assembled DBs in after they started to import chassis. It's about 3 feet wide and has maybe 40 cars out front in a row. 

Care to post it in the Interesting DB photos thread? Feel free to lay a ruler or something over it in order to obstruct the view if you don't want others copying it

• 4 weeks later...

As a slight diversion I recently managed to acquire my build card, which in itself is great as we need such info to re-register our cars for the road (to prove it is 'New Zealand new'), and on this it also lists Amuri Motors who were the New Zealand South Island Dodge agents. There is a bit online about them, but i thought it might be of interest to add another Australasian dealer into the mix.image.jpeg.8cb95094bf5c12b5f92a90c602d299ab.jpegimage.jpeg.2ba6027bf2ac1fed1783559e5387f4bd.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dodgenz said:

As a slight diversion I recently managed to acquire my build card, which in itself is great as we need such info to re-register our cars for the road (to prove it is 'New Zealand new'), and on this it also lists Amuri Motors who were the New Zealand South Island Dodge agents. There is a bit online about them, but i thought it might be of interest to add another Australasian dealer into the mix.image.jpeg.8cb95094bf5c12b5f92a90c602d299ab.jpegimage.jpeg.2ba6027bf2ac1fed1783559e5387f4bd.jpeg

Great pics. Who was the body builder it gets blurry when I zoom in. 

IMG_1333.jpeg.f68e2c780fccb56c8a105d4a62275d51.jpeg

The Dodge Car display by Amuri Motors was at the Olympia Motor Show in November 1921 at King Edward Barracks in Christchurch New Zealand.

The Body builder of Dodge Brothers cars for Amuri Motors at that time was Johnson and Smith.

IMG_1337.jpeg.f94abd6f35cf81b6b482e9a2a7ff1b10.jpeg

Edited by Minibago
The picture is incorrect (see edit history)
  • Like 3