Hull Beaconlite

vette-kid

I'm trying to restore the old beaconlite compass for use in my 36 Plymouth.   The compass turns freely on its own, but when I fill the globe with mineral oil it turns excruciatingly slow so as to be unusable.   Is there something other than mineral oil I should be using?  

20240127_082045.jpg

20240127_081941.jpg

Looks like a fun project. Do you think the magnet inside the compass ball has weakened or somehow become demagnetized? To test if this might be the problem, rather than an oil viscosity issue, could you temporarily fill the compass with water to see if the action speeds up? John

In most compasses the liquid is mineral oil. Not the thick kind you get in the pharmacy but the paint thinner kind. Also called mineral spirits. This will allow your compass to float freely, slightly dampened and not subject to cold stiffening or freezing. 

• Like 3

Here's a link to a thread on a military vehicles forum that addresses the exact issue we're talking about. Other useful info on the Hull units, as well. A reference to a company that sells the compass fluid, if needed. All I did was google "What's inside the old auto compasses?). I guess in this case the internet is your "friend"! John

https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=9860&start=15

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jolly_John said:

Here's a link to a thread on a military vehicles forum that addresses the exact issue we're talking about. Other useful info on the Hull units, as well. A reference to a company that sells the compass fluid, if needed. All I did was google "What's inside the old auto compasses?). I guess in this case the internet is your "friend"! John

https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=9860&start=15

Like I said, Mineral spirits. I went to an A + P mechanic at an airport and he ordered me some compass fluid. Its cost was high and had a nice label. When I opened it I found out it was nothing more than stinking mineral spirits. Not odorless!!!

3 hours ago, hook said:

I went to an A + P mechanic at an airport and he ordered me some compass fluid. Its cost was high and had a nice label.

On the positive side of this, your car is now definitely set for high altitude cruising....I'm thinking a tour through the Rockies! John

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jolly_John said:

On the positive side of this, your car is now definitely set for high altitude cruising....I'm thinking a tour through the Rockies! John

Not really, My compass wasn't automotive. It was a hand held combination polaris and compass. So I guess on your assumption, I need to find a jetpack! 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Jolly_John said:

All I did was google "What's inside the old auto compasses?).

I know a guy who does that and tried to sell his services to a local university as a researcher.

He also calls himself an inventor. He shows up for coffee and asks "What do you need me to invent today?"

• Haha 1

I’m having a bunch of these restored by a retired gentleman that does this in his spare time. He and I were just discussing using compass fluid . Marine and aviation sources will supply this. Also this compass although a terrific looking design is one that is very poorly engineered. They’re notorious leakers. And most of the critical parts like the bowl, the backing plate and  dial are all subject to cracking. He repairs them with JB weld. However the problem sometimes comes back. Also he fills them inside an another container of fluid and is thus able to fill the bowls all the way to the top without much air inside. 

also don’t know if it matters or not , but just as s as n interest in discussing I believe these beaconlite models were made a little later than the 1936 timeframe of your car. I could be wrong but the earlier ones - streamline were patent dates of 1934-1936. They were famously used in ww2 tanks jeeps etc. That body design also came in a lighted model, probably called beaconlite as well. I’ve seen 1939 ads showing them. The earliest I believe the elongated  beacon lite like you have, would be around 1948? I’m just going by info I’ve gathered so far. Then there’s the all plastic egg shaped ones that work really well but are a late 1957 patent date. Good luck! 

Edited by Flathed52 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks for that.   Mine are indeed cracked.   I tried aJB weld repair but it didn't seem to hold to well.   Might try and clean it and try again.   As for leaking, maybe a better gasket material or a more permanent sealant would work better.  Like permatex gasket maker.   

Being a later model is fine.   Not to far off to imagine a 10yo car getting a new accessory.  Beside that, this is one gramps had in a box of parts he left when he passed.   So it's going into the car he left me as well.  

• Like 1

Yes I feel the same way about certain accessories as a car was in use during a time period. The day one factory correct route is interesting and disciplined but a day two approach I find to be more creative and fun. Allows for a lot more variety and flexibility. 

you might try getting a few of these to cull together one good one. The compass skirt or dial is probably the hardest part to fix and you should try to start with that as a good piece the rest excluding the thin brass seal if it’s corroded at the edges also another delicate piece that’s hard to repair so start with those two pieces and build from there. Anything brass is probably best soldered. It’s funny in one compass we found multiple correspondences listed in writing between the owner of the compass and the Hull company. It went back for repairs every  year or two in a short period of time. So they must have known it was a design problem. The ones that came after ; the all plastic model 800 beaconlite I have several absolutely nothing wrong with them. Not as cool looking as the metal and Bakelite ones though.  Fluid is full compass swings to all points 65 years later. 

AF6CCE7C-51B3-4F83-B27F-8166B45FC2D5.jpeg

• Like 1