coolant recovery system

cquisuila

Hello

I wish to put a coolant revocery system on my riviera 1966.

image.png.ba6f1d77c2e701164c14701d5de70984.png

Do you have reference of  model for the specific cap to fit in this case ?

MY dimensions of actual cap :

Filler Neck Depth 1.18 in
Filler Neck Height 0.75 in
Filler Neck Inside Diameter 1.53 IN
Filler Neck Outside Diameter 1.97 IN
Height 1.14 IN

Pressure Rating 16 PS

Edited by cquisuila (see edit history)

You should not need to do anything with the radiator filler or cap. 

The hose from the filler goes to the recovery tank.    

Depending on your choice of recovery tanks,  some have the hose line molded into the tank,  if not the hose should go 

to the bottom of the tank.      

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

You should not need to do anything with the radiator filler or cap. 

I was told about a different cap to different pression but perhaps it is not exact

You will need a cap that allows coolant to flow both ways.  From the radiator to the overflow tank when the engine gets too hot, then allows the water to flow back into the radiator when the water temperature and pressure goes back down.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

You need a cap with two seals, not just one. This enables the system to pull coolant back into the radiator as the system cools.

Tom Mooney

Exemple trade mark ?

18 minutes ago, cquisuila said:

Exemple trade mark ?

Just go to your jobber and tell the counter person you want a cap for a radiator that has a recovery tank.  Or “Google” it.  

If your cooling system is in good shape and you only fill your radiator to the top of the core, you shouldn’t need a recovery tank.  

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

45 minutes ago, cquisuila said:

I like a revovery tank to verify the efficient system cooling

The original system is efficient IF everything is in good shape.  If it’s not in good shape, the recovery tank is just a band-aid, not a cure.

This help you a little better,--but as as Ed said  all original radiator and coolant  items in your ,car

have to good --no leaks etc to work properly. Would also like to let you ,but you probably know, when you first start and run your Buick after  completion turn your heater on, in the hot position so it will let the  water flow into your heater core and hoses,this remove any air bubles  ,air locks in the system.

IMG_2386.JPG rd.JPG

IMG_2387.JPG rd.JPG

IMG_2388.JPG rd.JPG

Edited by Wayne R
added item (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The hose between the radiator and recovery tank must always be full of coolant to maintain the siphon.  Either attach just above the bottom of the tank (to allow particles to settle out) or, if attached to the cap like the picture above, it should have a tube extending down into the tank.

image.png.c4e5b8ecc680ede135835c03a29463a5.png

SORRY (little stupid) but what's the difference between one cap 1 seal and a cap 2 seals on the radiator ?

because there is only one outer A on the radiator and not on the cap...

on my existing radiator there is not a recovery tank and just a hose in outer A with a single seal cap on my radiator

so what is the point of the double seal ?

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Each is a one way valve. One seal allows for expansion from the radiator into the overflow tank, the other allows for  the radiator to siphon from the overflow tank back into the radiator. 

ok the double allows round trip radiator-tank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This looks like a modern 'surge tank'. I'm not sure that it is really what you need.  It may work, but, it is going to be harder to mount than a tank having a more vertical orientation.  This is designed to be held under system pressure (i.e., 15 psi), whereas a simple overflow tank is vented directly to atmosphere and simply provides additional volume for coolant overflow while maintaining the siphon between the recovery tank and the radiator.Universal 800ml Car Radiator Coolant Overflow Oil Catch Tank Cooling Overflow  Reservoir Bottle Aluminum Black - Walmart.com

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EmTee said:

This looks like a modern 'surge tank'. I'm not sure that it is really what you need.  It may work, but, it is going to be harder to mount than a tank having a more vertical orientation.  This is designed to be held under system pressure (i.e., 15 psi), whereas a simple overflow tank is vented directly to atmosphere and simply provides additional volume for coolant overflow while maintaining the siphon between the recovery tank and the radiator.Universal 800ml Car Radiator Coolant Overflow Oil Catch Tank Cooling Overflow  Reservoir Bottle Aluminum Black - Walmart.com

I will see and put the homemade assembly system with the two attachment tabs available on the tank

Someone may have covered this in their post......... 

If the engine get hot enough to push coolant out the overflow (controlled by a pressure cap) 

that coolant goes into the overflow or catch tank.    When the engine cools down a vacuum is created 

and the coolant is sucked back into the radiator.  The second valve allows the coolant to return to the radiator

The above is why the hose or connection to the coolant overflow tank must be at the bottom so air

is not sucked into the radiator..... that is also why the overflow tank should always have maybe 1/3 of 

its volume filled with coolant.     As someone noted above, so it does not suck air.   

position tank ?

39 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

Someone may have covered this in their post......... 

If the engine get hot enough to push coolant out the overflow (controlled by a pressure cap) 

that coolant goes into the overflow or catch tank.    When the engine cools down a vacuum is created 

and the coolant is sucked back into the radiator.  The second valve allows the coolant to return to the radiator

The above is why the hose or connection to the coolant overflow tank must be at the bottom so air

is not sucked into the radiator..... that is also why the overflow tank should always have maybe 1/3 of 

its volume filled with coolant.     As someone noted above, so it does not suck air.   

is it good ?image.png.e041ee46d86c17219d19579983cd4508.png

One last comment

I have seen modern systems where the coolant recovery tank was also intended to be pressurized. 

The recovery tank had a filler much like the radiator and had a pressure cap.

the radiator also had a pressure cap (which was probably dual valved)  many new cars have the radiator 

cap covered with trim pieces and they must be removed to see and remove the radiator cap. 

These factory recovery tanks were heavy duty molded plastic.    

• Like 1