1913 Buick 31 Exported to England

Hi All.

My name is Robin and I have just joined today, so learning how all this works, apologise if I get something wrong.

I have recently purchased a Buick 31 Four door. Chassis / Vin number 8747. Engine number 8276. Another member going by the name dibarlaw posted on April 16 2018 about this car saying it was sold by Hershey in America to someone in England. I have been told the car was imported to England in 2016 through Hersey, so it all seems to be correct, up to now. The picture is of the car now.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. 

Buick.jpeg

• Like 7

Join the Buick Club of America. They have an excellent monthly color magazine and are very very detailed in the articles and stories as well as information. they have club members who act as advisors on certain years and models. It will be the best money you will ever spend to belong to a car club besides AACA. Do you own any other old cars or is this your first one? There are a number of long time collectors in England who own American cars who can direct you to people there to assist in mechanical repairs, understanding of functions etc.

Hershey is 9 months away , it would be worth the trip to attend as by then you will have become more familiar with the car you have and can make some connections here with other people who possibly have a similar car. JOIN THE BUICK CLUB OF AMERICA,

• Like 2

Thanks very much Larry and Walt for taking the time to reply. To answer you question Walt this is my second old one the first one I bought was a 1917 Model T Doctors car.

Kind regards and thanks again

Robin

The car (1).webp

The car (5).jpg

• Like 7

Robin1956:

If you have looked at my old posts then you know most of the story of my attempt to purchase the car. The family I tried to buy the car from was in Belle Vernon PA. We scheculed a day to come and drive the supposidly running car.  We agreed to a price for the running driving car. When we arrived nothing but excuses. The only problem stated was a touchy second gear. We made a counter offer because of condition which was refused The next Pennsylvania owner after haveing much work done to get the car back on the road was doing a local tour and lost 2nd gear entirely. It was after that time when I saw it for sale at Hershey. When I inquired I was told it was going to England.

• Like 2

Hi Larry.

Sounds like it is the same car, the gentle man that i bought it off told me it had a gearbox problem, wasn't just second gear, he had it rebuilt here in the UK. I have joined the Buick club of America, just waiting for my login details. I'm also trying to find out the missing link over here, who bought it from Hershey, Data protection problem over here, what's it like there would Hershey offer any details?

Thanks again

Kind regards

Robin

Hershey is an event - car show and massive auto jumble. The organizers would be unable to give any detail on the car because they have no way to track any sales that are usually a handshake between buyer and seller.

Steve

• Like 3

Thanks for the info Steve and thanks to all for the info and help I've had, at least I know more this evening than I did this morning. Just past 9.30 pm here in the UK, signing off for tonight as it's Gin and Tonic time.

Cheers all

Regards

Robin.

• Like 2

The  only trouble I have being a member or this forum is the fear I will learn so much my Head will crack open.  The last few days while shaving I have noticed new lines on my face,   Tread careful my friend, 

• Haha 3

Robin,

Welcome to the AACA Forum.  I suggest you scroll down to the Prewar Buick section of the forum that is more specific to your new old Buick.  I have a 1913 Model 31 Buick and have lots of files I can share with you via email.  Please send me your email address by responding to the private message I will send you on this forum.  

Mark Shaw

My 13 model 31 Buick and a sample of the data I have to share:

13 Buick Model 31 Data.jpg

13 Buick New Top.jpg

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Hi Mark. Thanks for the message and very interested in anything to do with the car, only problem, I tried to reply to the private massage but the site won't let me as I am to new to the site.

Kind regards

Robin

Robin,

I too have a '13 Model 31.  I am in the Detroit area.  

What are you looking for in the VIN number?  I can send you the 1913 page of VIN numbers.  I have a copy of the original factory records from '04 to 1929.  I used to work for Buick.  It will be a few days  until I can get to the page with the information.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Robin1956 said:

Hi Mark. Thanks for the message and very interested in anything to do with the car, only problem, I tried to reply to the private massage but the site won't let me as I am to new to the site.

Kind regards

Robin

Robin, welcome to the forum. You will need a total of 13-14 posts before you are able to send a pm. Perhaps Mark could send a pm to you with his contact info.

Hi Larry.

Thanks for your message. A copy of the factory Vin numbers would be great, thanks. Is there any way of finding any American history of my car? Chassis / Vin is 8747 and Engine number is 8276. From the picture that Larry posted looks like the car was registered in Michigan 90x07. The other thing I'm trying to find out is regarding conversion to electric start, is this possible?

With kind regards

Robin

8 minutes ago, CChinn said:

Robin, welcome to the forum. You will need a total of 13-14 posts before you are able to send a pm. Perhaps Mark could send a pm to you with his contact info.

Hi CChinn. Thanks for the info, Yes he has done that.

Kind regards

Robin

• Thanks 1

Robin:

I will inquire as to who was the purchaser after my attempt as I believe he had some work done by a restoration shop near Uniontown PA. The original restorer/owner may be well documented in old AACA records. As you see by the 1950s AACA and Glidden tour badges on the dash

DSCF4707.JPG.2d41352e9d8d879ceb96359540dc69c0.JPG

and below the seat. If I had been able to buy the car I would have pursued it.

DSCF4705.JPG.4d8be8ebe16bc7d499ce12f55e3ca42e.JPG

Note Mark Shaw's photos show the correct sidelamps. Mark Shaw and I had long conversations about this car when I was considering a counter offer.

Edited by dibarlaw
Added content (see edit history)

As a relative newbie to the hobby (4 years), dibarlaw’s last post and photo provides the basis/origin of dash plaques?  I learn something new everyday on the forum!😀

Edited by CChinn (see edit history)