1936 Buick

I believe that the babbitted 320s were not built with precision shells on the main bearings, but were precision line bored, so that later 320 main shells (1940s) fit, and fit with no shims. I read that in a manual somewhere, and I am fairly sure it applies back to 1937. It is likely it goes back to 1936 too, because the 320 was a brand new engine design in 1936. I cant say for sure though. Some of the people in the "Buick Pre-War" section of the forum will know. It might pay to repost this in that section or move it.

On the rods, those are babbitt for sure, and yes it is expensive. Later (late 40s?) 320 rods have shells instead, and you can probably substitute them. Someone I know has done it to a 37 320, and it is likely this trick would also work on a 36 but I don't know for sure. If you need pistons, 38 slightly domed pistons (which are more readily available) will fit a 37, but if I remember correctly maybe not 1936. I seem to recall there was something odd about the 36 combustion chamber. You would have to check piston clearance to the head very closely if you try it. Some grinding might be necessary if it will work at all.

Replace the whole engine? I wouldn't unless I had to, but the 320 was made all the way through the end of the 52 model year. I imagine the newer you go with the engine, the more the problems pile up with engine mounts, accessory mounts, bolt holes, sender holes, carburetor angle, and so on. That is usually the case with GM engines. I also think that a 320 taken from a car with a Dynaflow might(?) need to be rebuilt with a different crankshaft.

Better answers than mine will be available over in the "Buick Pre-War" section. Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

And on the off chance anyone reading this is not already aware, a 40 series engine might look about the same in pictures but in person it is not. Expect a 40 series engine to be several *inches* shorter than a 320. Not interchangeable.

If you want to replace a 1936 320 engine, the best source for a used engine that will work would probably be Dave Tacheny. He sells 1936-1941 Buick parts. You can best reach him by calling 763-427-3460 between 4 and 7 pm Central. He may very well have exactly what you need.